Wings run the Sabres through 3-1

yave1964

Random thoughts on the Wings 3-1 win over the sabres

Thank God. If the Wings had fallen to the Sabres I would have had to go to counseling.

Drew Stafford and Johan Franzen,  two of the biggest floaters in the game both showed up and played outstanding games tonight at the same time. Must be a full moon or a sign of the apocalypse.

Darren Helm scored the prettiest goal of the month by anyone period for any team. Falling down he beat a screened Miller who had no chance. Helm has 5 goals and is killing penalties like he never missed a beat. Cant wait til December when he shaves the cheesy mustache tho.

Gus won tonight, he and Mrasak are a combined 6-1 with a 2.49 GAA while Howard is 5-13 with a 2.72, very Milleresque. Just saying, all the defenders of Howard, the Wings have 13 of a possible 14 points when he is not in net.

Great having Alfie in the lineup again, even if we missed Pavel.

Steve Ott was wretched, -2 missed a penalty shot and was lousy in faceoffs which is unlike him.

Girgensons crashed the net, literally, face first. Other than a goose egg he seemed fine. Heslid to block a shot just a few minutes earlier and it almost hit his head, the guy seems to only know one speed.

Brendan Smith is playing decent since returning from his injury. Kindl only played 13 minutes, he was banged up against Ottawa the night before and we have no cap room to call up a d-man so they kind of hid Kindl and only played him when necessary tonight. Lashoff continues to prove everyone except Babs wrong, throwing his size around and stealing one goal away from Buffalo by falling on the puck in the crease when Gus was down.

Abdelkader had almost 3 minutes of PP time tonight, still being groomed for the Holmstrom role. I LOVE the line of Abby, Helm and Tatar, simple no nonsense crash the net hockey. My kind of hockey!

Glad the Wings were able to pull through and win the game despite having to be distracted by the gawd awful jerseys the Sabres were wearing.

Lol I was watching the game in hi-def and it was certainly hard on the eyes.

• Like 1

@yave1964

Despite being a little flat-footed after playing the previous night and jumping on a plane, overall they appeared to play well,  They get a free day to rest before they take on the Big Bad Bruins on Wednesday.  This will be a huge wake-up call.  They've had a string of games against..."favorable" teams, and didn't do so well.  Now they face the top team in the division.  Hopefully Datsyuk will be cleared for game time.

• Like 1

Girgensons crashed the net, literally, face first. Other than a goose egg he seemed fine. Heslid to block a shot just a few minutes earlier and it almost hit his head, the guy seems to only know one speed.

That's my boy.  

And, I know Ted Nolan likes him too.

Why in hell doesn't he put Z on one of the two top lines.   

Edited by blocker

That's my boy.  

And, I know Ted Nolan likes him too.

Why in hell doesn't he put Z on one of the two top lines.   

He got zero time on the power play while such luminaries as Leino and Stafford had 2 minutes each on the PP (Stafford in his defense played a good game). Nothing for Grigorenko either. IMHO the club has been eliminated by Thanksgiving so they should give the kids a chance to show what they can or cannot do.

Buffalo doesn't have a hell of a lot of talent.  And, they lack consistent effort.  Z gives it all every shift.  He has talent and drive.  The only thing he lacks is experience. 

Put him on the ice.  Maybe his enthusiasm will excite his teammates. 

• Like 1