Jets at Flyers : 11:30 AM start time

jammer2

I know Rink Rat made a game thread already, I just wanted to alert people to the highly unusual start time, I can't recall a game ever starting at 11:30 AM before, is there a reason for this ungodly start time?  I know it's the day after Thanksgiving in the U.S, but damn, let people sleep in after consuming all that food!!

• Like 2

From the Courrier-Post, here is the explanation:

"The Flyers haven’t played an 11:30 a.m. game in years. Originally the game was supposed to be at 3 p.m., but it got moved up to 1 p.m. for the 76ers game at night. It changed again when NBC wanted to have a nationally televised game with little competition."

It sounds like it is the stupid Rags Bruins game that is the culprit.

As you can see from the quote this is not the 1st time this has happened.  In fact I remember going to a Flyers vs Isles game in the Late 80s or early 90s and it was the 1st morning game ever in the history of the NHL.  I know the Flyers won too but the rest is a bit fuzzy.

• Like 1

@Poulin20  Ahhh, thanks for posting that. Was wondering what was behind this. The more I think about it, it's really cool to have a AM game start. At least all my American friends will be at home on the long weekend, and be able to fully enjoy it. Just by chance, this is my week to have Fri, Sat and Sun off, so works well for me also.

Now that you mention it, I also remember an AM game many decades back. Brunch with the Flyers, hope it catches on and we can have an annual post Thanksgiving AM game every year, would be a nice change. Sounds corny, but I bought a fresh box of Fruit Loops for the occasion....LOL!

Just out of sheer curiosity, do most Americans bridge the gap and take Friday off as well? Seems like a perfect opportunity to sneak in a 4 day weekend. Are the banks open over there on Black Friday?

@Poulin20  Ahhh, thanks for posting that. Was wondering what was behind this. The more I think about it, it's really cool to have a AM game start. At least all my American friends will be at home on the long weekend, and be able to fully enjoy it. Just by chance, this is my week to have Fri, Sat and Sun off, so works well for me also.

Now that you mention it, I also remember an AM game many decades back. Brunch with the Flyers, hope it catches on and we can have an annual post Thanksgiving AM game every year, would be a nice change. Sounds corny, but I bought a fresh box of Fruit Loops for the occasion....LOL!

Just out of sheer curiosity, do most Americans bridge the gap and take Friday off as well? Seems like a perfect opportunity to sneak in a 4 day weekend. Are the banks open over there on Black Friday?

Things are open as normally, but a lot of people (myself included) take the day off. Just stay away from the shopping malls.