Grounded by the Flyers

yave1964

Thoughts on last nights 6-3 loss to the Flyers

Tomas Tatar showed up to play. Love the simple style the kid plays, get the puck, rush the net, don't overthink. Many more talented players accomplish less than he does with more skill. He just gets the game.

WEISS!! Pretty pass on the goal by the Mule, quite a few faceoff wins.

The Flyers undisciplined play in the second half of the second period, giving up one dumb penalty after another and doing their marked best to give the game away to the Wings so they could give up and go home was thwarted by outstanding net play by Mason. The man weathered the penalty storm while his club was down 3-1 and kept his club in the game.

Jimmy Howard once again gave up a late in the period goal giving up momentum to the other club. He has done this all year, it is easily the most frustrating part of the season for me.

Kyle Quincey played a poor game, he twice in the third with the game tied had a chance to pinch in and keep the play in the zone and played it safe instead only to watch the Flyers drive down the other end of the ice. He seemed tentative and cautious

Sean Couturier seems to have benefited most by the coaching change of anyone in Philadelphia. 12 points in 10 games, solid on faceoffs, the kid is maturing nicely. Nothing against Lavy but he had seen Couts since a teen and sometimes you are too close to the situation and might have still seen him as a kid. Berube looks and sees the current product thru new eyes and obviously likes what he sees. And of course I cut him two days ago in fantasy to pick up Saad. Rux, shush.

Giroux did an amazing head fake on his goal, the Flyers were doing too many passes looking for a lane on the power play, Giroux looked across at the point as if to pass, I think everyone in the building was looking pass and then he ripped one surprising Howard and the Wings defense. Lovely shot.

The Wings are undermanned but that is no excuse for last night. We held our own for 40 minutes before the wheels fell off, we need to play a sixty minute game and figure out what to do about Jimmy 'gasoline on the fire' Howard soon, or the next two weeks could leave us in a very bad spot.

@yave1964

I'd like to say I feel sorry for you, but I don't. I believe that's the Flyers 2nd win in Detroit since 1988. It's about friggin' time!

No quarter asked, none given. The Flyers earned the two points last night, i give them all the props in the world for the game they played. couts and Giroux were amazing. We will just have to start a new streak next time. Now off to New Jersey. Maybe we can help your boys out by taking two points away from the devils.

@yave1964

Another point to add was the play of Justin Abdelkader.  When the Red Wings came out slow in the first period, it was Abby's hustle that gave them life.  He was the fastest one on the ice for a while.  For some reason, the power play decided to go completely anemic after the 5-on-3.  It was an awful waste of time with the man-advantage, and the Flyers certainly gave them plenty of opportunities.  The got behind and then they got flat-footed, and then they got beat...hard.  Five unanswered goals....sheesh..........

Mike Babcock was very quick to say in post-game interviews that Gustavsson will be starting against New Jersey on Friday.  Now this may have been scheduled all along as the Wings will be coming back to Detroit immediately following to meet the Panthers on Saturday, but I would sincerely hope that if Gus plays as well as he has against the Devils, he'll also get the immediate nod against Florida.  It's time to give them man his due and let him play.  Jimmy needs to sit down for a while and think it over.  Detroit needs to take all three of these next games and put some distance between the rest of the division in the standings.  

• Like 1

@yave1964

I think Howard's problems have festered enough that he needs to just park it in the chair for a while and think it over.  Gustavsson can handle a back-to-back, and the proof is in the pudding.  Gustavsson can mind the store while Jimmy focuses purely on his technique.  The way Gus has been playing should provide Jimmy with the peace of mind that he can spend as much time as needed.  There's nothing wrong with a tandem goaltending team...just ask Toronto!

• Like 1

@flyerrod  I would have mentioned that, but I'm still sore over the loss!   :wacko:

I am not going to be doing any crowing about a win over an injury depleted team but I will happily take the win.  Too often that has been the Flyers cross to bear.

Edited by flyerrod