Meltzer on VLC

radoran

This!

If the young kids are truly the future core then you have to keep them locked into center.   Move G over...   pretty sad that you need to find a spot for a player of VLC talents - well, past talents.

It is the path of least resistance. It won't mess with the kids development and might actually benefit VLC to play his natural position again.

• Like 1

I'm also surprised that Meltzer would actually suggest that (though he probably doesn't really believe it himself).

You're right, no coach is going to put a guy with Lecavalier's accomplishments and stature on the 4th line. It would be an embarrassment to everyone from Homer to Berube to Vinny.

A buy-out is a great option but I'm also pretty sure will not happen - at least not for a couple more years if things don't change.

He has very little value in a trade, plus he controls his destiny. So that's not a viable option either.

Homer painted himself into a corner with this contract, and the Flyers will just have to live with it.

My first reaction was, "This isn't fantasy hockey." Maybe he meant it in jest, I dunno. It just struck me as bizarre.

Yes he did and yes they have to, so they have to try and find the best possible solution. I like your suggestion (I think it was you). of having him center Giroux. If that didn't work, I'd consider putting him on the third line and bumping Schenn and Couturier up to 1st and 2nd line centers (with Giroux still on the wing), but would give the first thing a shot first.

I like your suggestion (I think it was you). of having him center Giroux. If that didn't work, I'd consider putting him on the third line and bumping Schenn and Couturier up to 1st and 2nd line centers (with Giroux still on the wing), but would give the first thing a shot first.

My suggestion was to have him as a wing on the top line, and see if G and Jake can get him going. I think it was rad or rux who suggested 1st line center. Either way, that's really the only place left for him to spend some time and try and find a groove.

It's almost like Homer and co. don't actually watch footage or conduct due diligence on players before getting them.

• Like 2

My suggestion was to have him as a wing on the top line, and see if G and Jake can get him going. I think it was rad or rux who suggested 1st line center. Either way, that's really the only place left for him to spend some time and try and find a groove.

It's almost like Homer and co. don't actually watch footage or conduct due diligence on players before getting them.

Agreed Brel... there really is no other spot for him on the roster and IMO he needs to play center.  I think we can all agree putting him on the Wing does nothing for this Team.  Likewise, having Hartnell on the top line does nothing for Jake and G.   If he cant contribute in the middle of Jake and G you pretty much know this guy is toast and we are going to have to eat the contract.  I dont expect VLC to play like his glory days but I did not expect this big of a dropoff in play.  

maybe Centering the top line will get him going and give him a boost in terms of production.  At this point I cant see it hurting the Flyers any...  if they make this move it is unfortunate that it took them so long to try the experiment.

Agreed Brel... there really is no other spot for him on the roster and IMO he needs to play center.  I think we can all agree putting him on the Wing does nothing for this Team.  Likewise, having Hartnell on the top line does nothing for Jake and G.   If he cant contribute in the middle of Jake and G you pretty much know this guy is toast and we are going to have to eat the contract.  I dont expect VLC to play like his glory days but I did not expect this big of a dropoff in play.  

maybe Centering the top line will get him going and give him a boost in terms of production.  At this point I cant see it hurting the Flyers any...  if they make this move it is unfortunate that it took them so long to try the experiment.

IMO, they're going to give him this year and the start of the next. I'd hold off on messing with the top line until next camp and the start of next season.

That said, I don't expect the team to ever play Giroux as a wing for any stretch of time. They want their captain to be a #1 C and come hell or high water they're going to have that.

I'd be willing to try either suggestion.

I'm not saying fans know it all or even more than coaches/GMs, but sometimes it seems like people on the inside don't do what is very obvious. There's also not enough outside the box thinking.