Closing in on number 23

yave1964

With the 4-2 win against the Sabres combined with the Leafs loss it eliminates Toronto from contention and brings the Wings within an eyelash of clinching a playoff spot. Any combination of a point by the Wings or a missed point by the Devils and Capitals and the Wings are in. It would appear the Wings are a near mortal lock for the playoffs.

Wow it is so nice having Datsyuk back in the lineup. Though still shaking off the rust he looks real gud as Babs would put it. tonight he played a little over 20 minutes of ice time to lead all forwards and scored an empty netter as well as 70 percent on faceoffs. And the scary thing is his timing is still slightly off. If we get Z and the big E back for the post season it could be interesting.

I really want Pittsburgh and not Boston. Boston has their foot on the pedal and is not letting up, while Pittsburgh seems stuck in second gear. I truly do not like our chances against either but I like them a lot better against Pittsburgh. besides if by some miracle we upset the Pens I certainly like our chances a lot better against the winner of the Rangers/Flyers series than against Montreal/Tampa. Not even close.

Girgensons has 3 goals in 4 games against the Wings and several other great chances. In 63 games against the rest of the league he only has 5 goals. The Sabres need to tell him he is playing Detroit every night.

Drew Miller is an under the radar key cog who never gets mentioned, he scores occasionally, he kills penalties and is on the short list for the forward you most want on the ice with a one goal lead late in a game. Quiet, never hear from him or about him but invaluable. Makes his linemates better.

Darren Helm with 12 goals in essentially half a season. At 27 he still is not old though it seems he has been around for a million years. Gotta love the guy.

Nick Kronwall looked tired, simply played a bad game. The Wings might need to rest him, give him a night off as soon as we clinch. He looks like he could use one.

Brendan Smith has been a favorite of mine since college and at Grand Rapids but he has been slow to develop. But since the second half of the season it is like something clicked. He still gives up the occasional goof, about once a night but he does so much more right than wrong at both ends of the ice than he ever did. A nice goal and a plus two again tonight. I think he may have turned a corner.

90 points, 3 games to go, respectable year with all the injuries. And I really like our chances for next year even better. Gotta love the Wings.

@yave1964

Agree with your preference for Pittsburgh vs. Boston. Hadn't thought far forward enough to the potential second round, but you are very right on that preference as well. Funny that if the Wings are to pull off victories in those two rounds that we will win the division...except it will be a division in which we don't play. This was a known possibility with the new playoff format, but wouldn't it be ironic for a team to win a division in a division in which they don't play the very first year the format is implemented.

The new line of Helm, Alfredsson and Jurco was pretty effective last night. Helm got a goal, but he also had several other opportunities, and Alfredsson was a threat a few times as well. Interesting line if Babs chooses to keep it together. Might be helm's best opportunity in a long time.

Franzen played well offensively last night as well. I will say this about the Mule: Unlike in the past when he either scores or shuts almost completely down offensively, even though he is not scoring goals, he is making plays right now. He's set up other players for some excellent opportunities and had a good assist on Smith's goal. Better decision making by the veteran.

And you just have to love it when Datsyuk returns and reminds you of why you miss him. He made two or three pretty sick one-touch passes that made me smile. The steals are nifty also. These little things are some of the reasons he's so good. He really thinks ahead of most other players.

Howard continues to be the goaltender we need him to be. Perhaps not the game he has been challenged the most, but made several key difficult stops on a couple of rebound opportunities which were large. Solid performance again, as he is putting together a string of these heading into the SCPs.

A quick note on Zemgus Girgensons: this guy looks to be a very good player if last night is any indication. The move he put on Kronwall and Howard was DARN good. Buffalo' got a good young man there. His deflection gal was nice too. You can say Kronner blew it, but that was a pretty move. Give credit where it's due. Resting Nick will be OK if and when E comes back, but I don't know if we want the other 6 playing without him unless E is in there. Maybe against Carolina.

I am really liking the trend of late of balanced scoring from multiple sources. Having 3 effective lines in the playoffs is absolutely critical. Although Nyquist's goal production has slowed (it had to eventually), it is OK because others like Helm and Smith last night are starting to contribute more consistently. That has a much better chance of success in the playoffs than one line does. Good for us.

Just wanted to say congrats guys, the Wings earned this lock, stock and barrel. Best young talent in the league bar none. You guys have a decade of fun ahead of you. The Wings will be in the hunt for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say congrats guys, the Wings earned this lock, stock and barrel. Best young talent in the league bar none. You guys have a decade of fun ahead of you. The Wings will be in the hunt for the foreseeable future.

Thank you!! Getting healthy at the right time of year too!!

@yave1964

Made it with two games to spare!

I will disagree with you and say that I would prefer to face Boston.  The Wings have a better record against them in the regular season and just plain look better on the ice.  They bring their "A" game a bit more facing the Bruins than they do the Pens.  Besides, I've been to both cities too and Boston is just more fun to hang out in.

I will disagree with you and say that I would prefer to face Boston. The Wings have a better record against them in the regular season and just plain look better on the ice. They bring their "A" game a bit more facing the Bruins than they do the Pens. Besides, I've been to both cities too and Boston is just more fun to hang out in.

I would agree with you except that Fleury in the playoffs has been such a question mark. Otherwise, I like Boston too, especially since Letang is back for the Pens.

Columbus might have something to say about that. 

Well, I'm not sure about a decade, but these next 4-5 years will be fun for sure. Thinking ahead, when you have this much talent coming at the same time, the salary cap may make hanging on to all of it difficult. For now, we will enjoy watching these guys continue to develop at reasonable salaries. In 4-5 years, when their contracts are up and many of them are playing at levels above which they will be being paid, it could get interesting. Not a bad problem to have, obviously. But in today's game, there is no assurance of a decade. Still, I'm gonna be enjoying the ride for sure!