I will ask the question: Game 3

okay so the debate is over. Like Adam says Mason almost certainly has a concussion or at least the symptoms of one, which I guess is the same thing.

I wish you guys would stop saying the Rags "got away from" trying the cross-ice pass. That wasn't the case at all the Flyers just got better as the game went on. Emery started anticipating that play, the skaters kept a better eye on the weak side and they clogged up the middle better as the game went on, so those passes didn't get through as much.

Teams beat goalies with that play every night in the NHL, usually off odd-man rushes, like the 2 yesterday against Emery. St. Louis' goal off a Flyers' TO (resulting in a 3 on 2) and Poilout's PP goal. When it's done right the play just goes too fast for goalies to defend - unless they can safely cheat over a bit, which is what Emery did.

The Flyers / Emery did a pretty good job defending yesterday, aside from all the penalties and TOs. As much as I hate these 2 day breaks it's good for Emery - now there's no reason to worry about him going 3 games in a row.

Edited by canoli

I think the question now needs to be....what truly is the injury?  Is it whiplash or is it concussion?  I'm not sure if this was every definitively answered.  I'm concerned it is concussion because he seems to be having that effect of "good days and bad"  One day he is out on the ice in practice and feeling good, then the next day he gets out there and feels bad and they say he is out for game 2.  If it is a concussion, I would say he will not see any action in the 1st round.  Of course this is all just speculation, as I have heard NOTHING as to the true nature of the injury!

This is why embellishments must stop! Not only do they ruin the overall game, but they keep key players from playing in the playoffs! :rolleyes:  ;)  The Rags are lucky to have any players left for game 3 after those performances!   :lol:

From philly.com article:

He made the decision on his own, with his off-ice activity seemingly not up to snuff yet from his concussion-like symptoms

First time I've seen the "magic words". Mason also says:

“I’m feeling good with the goaltending part of practice. There are other things that affect the decision.”

So it sounds like he's fine physically, not so fine otherwise. Sounds like concussion to me.

From philly.com article:

He made the decision on his own, with his off-ice activity seemingly not up to snuff yet from his concussion-like symptoms

First time I've seen the "magic words". Mason also says:

“I’m feeling good with the goaltending part of practice. There are other things that affect the decision.”

So it sounds like he's fine physically, not so fine otherwise. Sounds like concussion to me.

Thanks for the update Jack.  Worst fears now being realized!  Like most others, I am comfortable with Ray in net and really have liked him all year as our back up, but was really looking forward to seeing Mason in net for the playoffs.  Was so nice to feel like we had a clear cut number one goalie with no question that he was the starter for the playoffs!  It wouldn't be a season of Flyers hockey without some sort of goalie drama. 

At this point you play emery until he proves it a bad idea.

He played well enough to win for two games. No reason not to or to rush Mason back (regardless of what's wrong with him).

Worst thing you can do is rush him back, cause him a setback and the team a game or two.

Keep Playing Rayzor.

Does Emery deserve to start if Mason can play?