Vasiliev signs for two in KHL

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Clean-Out-Day-Giroux-and-More/45/59812

Flyers prospect Valeri Vasiliev, a seventh-round pick in 2012, will be staying in the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) after signing a two-year contract with Avangard Omsk. The player, who opted out of his KHL contract with Spartak Moscow after the 2013-14 season, had been mulling over a move to North America for next season. At the time, Holmgren said the Flyers were undecided about whether to bring him over now.

Drafted (7th Round, #201) in 2012, turns 20 on May 31. When his two year contract with the KHL expires, as I read the rules, he would be a FA in North America.

Hockey's Future - http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/valeri-vasiliev/

I was hoping he'd be a wild card dark horse candidate to make the team next year.  looks like that was misplaced.

He was a low risk high reward pick, everything i've read says he's a pretty good player, likes to hit.  He will most likely not be interested in playing in the lehigh valley if he comes to North America.  

I was hoping he'd be a wild card dark horse candidate to make the team next year.  looks like that was misplaced.

He was a low risk high reward pick, everything i've read says he's a pretty good player, likes to hit.  He will most likely not be interested in playing in the lehigh valley if he comes to North America.  

From what i found they'll keep his rights for 4 years instead of two so not all is lost. If i am misunderstanding this please someone else explain.

In the 2005 CBA, this section provided NHL Clubs with a two (2) year window, in which, they would retain the exclusive rights to sign a non-North American player on the drafting club's reserve list.16 This two-year window was expanded to a four-year window in the most recent agreement.

Another change in the new CBA removed the requirement of providing a European player with a “Bona Fide Offer.”18 In the past when an NHL Club drafted a European player the club was required to extend a “Bona Fide Offer” after the first year in order to enjoy the exclusive rights for an additional year.19 Now when an NHL club drafts a player who has played for a non-North American club, the NHL Club will have the exclusive rights to that player for a period of four (4)

The change to section 8 of the NHL CBA could affect the international game of hockey in two primary ways. First, the European leagues are able to retain the services of players drafted by the NHL for a longer period of time (up to four years instead of two).

Like i said i think this is acurate.

http://www.lawinsport.com/articles/employment-law/item/nhl-cba-effects-european-players-and-international-ice-hockey

From what i found they'll keep his rights for 4 years instead of two so not all is lost. If i am misunderstanding this please someone else explain.

In the 2005 CBA, this section provided NHL Clubs with a two (2) year window, in which, they would retain the exclusive rights to sign a non-North American player on the drafting club's reserve list.16 This two-year window was expanded to a four-year window in the most recent agreement.

Another change in the new CBA removed the requirement of providing a European player with a “Bona Fide Offer.”18 In the past when an NHL Club drafted a European player the club was required to extend a “Bona Fide Offer” after the first year in order to enjoy the exclusive rights for an additional year.19 Now when an NHL club drafts a player who has played for a non-North American club, the NHL Club will have the exclusive rights to that player for a period of four (4)

The change to section 8 of the NHL CBA could affect the international game of hockey in two primary ways. First, the European leagues are able to retain the services of players drafted by the NHL for a longer period of time (up to four years instead of two).

Like i said i think this is acurate.

http://www.lawinsport.com/articles/employment-law/item/nhl-cba-effects-european-players-and-international-ice-hockey

Right, but if he serves his two year contract in the KHL, that'll still be four years since he was drafted.

Which might be exactly the reason he signed a two year deal...

Right, but if he serves his two year contract in the KHL, that'll still be four years since he was drafted.

Yes i understand but they'll his rights four year after drafted so they'll have till end of june 2016 to sign him and KHL regular season is over before the NHL i think and not what bearing this has on it if any.

Which might be exactly the reason he signed a two year deal...

Yevgeni Kuznetsov did the same thing drafted in 2010 and signed in march of 2014.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=7867

i know this old and you pretty much agree with it just popped in my head today and i posted it before i forgot.

So he'll be given time to grow further before they have to make a call.

Edited by OccamsRazor