1986-1987 Flyers tribute video

Poulin20

This is a video that they played right after the Flyers lost game 7 of the 1987 Stanley Cup final to the Oilers on Philly 57. (Check out Coatsey introducing it!)

It is set to Starship's Nothin's gonna stop us (yes very 80s and very cheesy).

I watched this video live with my parents and I wept bitterly during it. (I actually still get sslightly choked up watching it)  I was in 5th grade and the Flyers were my whole world back then.  I was miserable at school the next day and had this song and the video stuck in my head all day.  It was awful, it was like a death in the family.  It is so vivid in my mind I rember it like it was yesterday.  Until the Flyers win the cup this 1986-1987 season and team will always be my favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MN3dDulJ_g

Enjoy!

Until Even if the Flyers win the cup again in my lifetime this 1986-1987 season and team will always be my favorite.

Fixed. Thanks Poulin, I still get a chill watchin the Propp's Game 6 tying goal and JJ's game winner. Not pictured, but the final sequence where Hexy goes to fire the the puck out of the zone, Messier jumps up and catches the puck and walks right in on net.....and Hexy stones him twice for the win....yeah I remember the Bullies and the parades as a 6/7 year old, but that 86-87 team was mine

Until Even if the Flyers win the cup again in my lifetime this 1986-1987 season and team will always be my favorite.

Fixed. Thanks Poulin, I still get a chill watchin the Propp's Game 6 tying goal and JJ's game winner. Not pictured, but the final sequence where Hexy goes to fire the the puck out of the zone, Messier jumps up and catches the puck and walks right in on net.....and Hexy stones him twice for the win....yeah I remember the Bullies and the parades as a 6/7 year old, but that 86-87 team was mine

Man it is great to hear that I am not the only one who team who loves this version of the Flyers.  They were truly something special but dont get much recognition because they ultimately didnt win the Cup.  If we had Tim Kerr for the Finals I am sure he would have pushed us over the edge.

When people have ever asked me if I could go back in time and change some things this is always one of the things that I say I would change as I truly believe that these guys deserved the Cup that year. 

• 4 weeks later...

I was a senior in high school.  Man...I remember all of this yes.  I agree with everyone ..it was a very special team. Thanks for sharing @Poulin20.

When JJ scored the game winner in game 6...I thought it was destiny that this team would win the cup.  I remember jumping up and down like a maniac in our basement while watching the game.  I think I woke my parents up. LOL  Truly a memorable moment for me.

PS... I don't care what anyone says...I still miss the old Spectrum!  That place just had a magical feel.

Here is JJ's goal .......enjoy!

Edited by pilldoc

When JJ scored the game winner in game 6...I thought it was destiny that this team would win the cup.....

PS... I don't care what anyone says...I still miss the old Spectrum! That place just had a magical feel.

That destiny thing....maybe it was seeing such improbable titles as the '80 US team, '85 Nova hoops and '86 Penn State football championships, all things I was heavily emotionally invested in and which were all still fresh in my mind, I really believed that the improbable was again the most likely outcome after JJ scored. I really never got over losing game 7.

And the only man-made structure that ever meant more to me than the Spectrum is the house I grew up in.

Man it is great to hear that I am not the only one who team who loves this version of the Flyers.  They were truly something special but dont get much recognition because they ultimately didnt win the Cup.  If we had Tim Kerr for the Finals I am sure he would have pushed us over the edge.

When people have ever asked me if I could go back in time and change some things this is always one of the things that I say I would change as I truly believe that these guys deserved the Cup that year. 

It's impossible to look back and say "what if" with any certainty.

But if Tim Kerr was healthy, Philly wins that series...of that I have ZERO doubt.

• Like 1