Iginla signs with the Aves

hf101

Looks like Iginla will be reunited with ex-Calgary teammate Alex Tanguay next season as he signed a 3 year deal for $16M with the Aves.  

I think at the age of 38 this is far too much money.  Iginla had a good season with the Bruins, but I wonder if he will get the same production with a faster Aves team.

think at the age of 38 this is far too much money.

I don't he is showing no signs of slowing down 30 goals last year the full season before the lockout 32 goals. So i think it was a decent move. He scored 5 more goals than Stastny last year.

Edited by OccamsRazor

but I wonder if he will get the same production with a faster Aves team.

What does a faster team have to do with it. We traded for a slow utility man (umberger) that can stay upright, so we could get faster. Just saying. 

Inglina pots 25 next two years. His compete level is off the charts. 

It rich to me in the third year, but so what. 

So, Bruins are still in the penalty box, right, for the overage>? 

Edited by Vanflyer

So, next season the Ave's top 6 forwards will be....1)Matt Duchene 2) Ryan O'Reilly 3)Nathan McKinnon 4)Gabriel Landeskog 5)Jerome Iginla and either Tanguay or McGinn as the #6 option....that is ridiculous depth. If there is any team that can get the most of of Iggy's style, it's the Ave's. He should be a perfect fit. Hell, he might even hit 35 next year if he can avoid injuries. One thing for sure, he will have a wicked center who can find him darting in and out of scoring spots....it will be like a shooting gallery for Iggy.

He should be a perfect fit. Hell, he might even hit 35 next year if he can avoid injuries. One thing for sure, he will have a wicked center who can find him darting in and out of scoring spots....it will be like a shooting gallery for Iggy.

I agree with that. And while I have no evidence to suggest it, I think Jerome is one of those guys that defies the traditional deterioration of age (think Chelios / Lidstrom). There is absolutely no evidence of his slowing down. The guy has not scored less than 30 goals in the last 15 years (discount the shortened season in 2012-2013). That is just incredible. He has essentially been a .8 ppg player in that time frame (with very little spikes), and that was with playing with some crappy Flames teams. 

The only thing that kind of stands out (minorly), is that Boston diminished some of his ice time (not by much). He played on average 17:22 last year and significantly reduced his PK role (unlike when he was playing top PP and top PK in calgary). I think that helped keep his legs fresher. Also, only 4 of his 30 goals last year came on the PP. He was burning teams on 5-on-5 play- pretty damn impressive. 

35 is certainly not off the mark. 

@Vanflyer  Another factor on Iggy's side is he will not be facing the top checking line because of the Ave's depth at forward. In Calgary, he was facing nothing but that...Boston it was off an on....but it could translate into more goals.

Another factor on Iggy's side is he will not be facing the top checking line because of the Ave's depth at forward. In Calgary, he was facing nothing but that...Boston it was off an on....but it could translate into more goals.

Being a half-breed born in Colorado, I am really going to enjoy watching this upcoming season. I have them as division winners again. Some say Valarmov was flash in the pan and that the team overachieved (not really that inaccurate on the later). The moves they made in the offseason have them poised to be even better. Everyone will be saying Statsny who (even St Louis). 

For those that think Varly was a flash in the pan....don't hold your breath, this guy was/is the real deal.

And he has perhaps the 2nd best goalie ever (arguably the 1st) as his coach. 

The thing with Valarmov (and perhaps it was smoke and mirrors) was he was thinking about going back to motherland to play in the KHL for more money. So the caps jettisoned for mere peanuts in the scheme of things (a 1st in 2012 and a 2nd in 12 / 13). 

At the end of the day, I don't think it was KHL that Valarmov was thinking of, it was getting the hell out of dodge. 

I will state it again: Avs win division and Valarmov is in top three for Vezina. 

@Vanflyer  I traded Lundqvist in fantasy hockey this past year (won the whole thing so had to be doing something right...lol), just so I could keep Varly and Bob as my long term tandem. I think it will work out in my favour, especially since I now have a championship in my back pocket AND the relative youth of both Varly and Bob....they will only get better, and both teams are up and comers, so a nice time to grab them both. Picked up Varly off waivers in the 2nd week of the season and never looked back with him....tremendous year from him, I was very pleased.

keeper league?? 

Both are vezina candidates. I think bobs had a bit of a down year compared to his vezina year, but injuries plagued him. I really like both. Your real name is not Bobby C. is it? Playing out your alter-ego and having to ruskies as your goalies on your fantasy team?? LOL 

@Vanflyer  I had to laugh when I saw Varly and Bob were both trying for the top spot on the Russian Olympic team. The Windsor Warriors don't play any favs when it comes to country of origin. We just wanna win, does not matter if they come from Jamaica.....lol.

We just wanna win, does not matter if they come from Jamaica.....lol.

Either you are a bobsled underdog fan or you mis-read the topic at hand an intended this post for the Green Stuff post / thread. :-P

@Vanflyer   Don't worry.....be happy!!  :thumbsu:

The funny thing or sad thing is that we are both dating our selves: bobby mcfarlan (sp). My mom loved that song in the 80's- I tried to teach that Marley was 100x better, but to no avail.