Jaden Schwartz changes jersey number to honour sister

sarsippius

Slow hockey month, nice story:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/07/16/st-louis-blues-jaden-schwartz-changes-jersey-number-to-honour-sister-who-died/

St. Louis Blues’ Jaden Schwartz changes jersey number to honour sister who died Adrian Humphreys | July 16, 2014 | Last Updated: Jul 17 9:24 AM ET

There was a time when emerging National Hockey League star Jaden Schwartz and his older sister Mandi wore No. 17 on their jerseys, but as the two hockey-mad Saskatchewan kids grew up, the number became synonymous with her aggressive game on Yale University’s women’s team.

When she was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia in 2008, Mr. Schwartz was wearing No. 8 in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League, and as she battled cancer, she cheered her younger brother on as he donned Team Canada’s No. 8 jersey for the 2011 world junior championship.

It was during that tournament their father, Rick, received a galvanizing text message from his daughter, signalling her fight was drawing to a close: “Doctors say there is nothing more they can do,” it read.

Mandi Schwartz died, aged 23, on April 3 2011.

Less than a year later, Mr. Schwartz captained Team Canada for the 2012 world juniors, again wearing No. 8 on his red and white jersey, but he never stopped thinking about his sister, a woman he says is his on-ice and in-life inspiration.

Last week, he finally found a way to remember and honour her, an appropriate tribute from one hockey player to another: He switched his jersey number with the St. Louis Blues to No. 17.

“With what went on and with what she went through and what she meant to me, this seemed the right thing to do,” Mr. Schwartz, 22, said.

“It’s not something I talk about a whole lot. It’s kind of a hard to talk about. But I think everyone knows how much she meant to me.

“It’s all for Mandi. I did it because of her. It’s for her because of how much I learned from her. I think of her every day. She’s still an inspiration to me every day.”

When Mr. Schwartz joined the NHL, picked 14th overall by the St. Louis Blues in the 2010 entry draft, he had secretly eyed No. 17 but it was already being worn by Czech centre Vladimír Sobotka.

“No. 17 was already taken. I only had a few options; I took No. 9,” he said as the closest available to 17 or 8.

He never mentioned the possibility of a change while Mr. Sobotka was playing.

“I was the young guy coming in and he was the veteran,” Mr. Schwartz said.

I didn’t want to start asking for things. I just minded my own business and hoped that one day I’d get my chance.”

The chance came last week when Mr. Sobotka signed for a Russian team in the Kontinental Hockey League.

“Not a lot of guys switch numbers when they’re still on the same team,” said Mr. Schwartz. “But I didn’t think twice about it … I mentioned it to my parents and they were happy and excited about it. Mandi means a lot to all of us.”

Ms. Schwartz was the oldest of Rick and Carol Schwartz’s three children and the first to plunge into hockey. She and Rylan were born in Kamsack, Sask, near the Manitoba border; Jaden, the youngest, was born in Melfort, 280 kilometres north of Regina.

“My brother and sister were big into hockey. I grew up watching them. That’s how I got into it,” Mr. Schwartz said.

“Mandi was the oldest, so her hockey was more serious. I learned a lot from her,” he said. “I spent a lot of time watching her play.”

The family moved to Wilcox, Sask., so all three could attend Athol Murray College of Notre Dame, a school renowned for its hockey program.

“All three of us … ended up getting hockey scholarships to U.S. schools,” said Mr. Schwartz. While the boys attended Colorado College, Ms. Schwartz went to Yale

She grew to be a strong hockey forward, hailed as a leader for three seasons, until sapped by illness.

As she fought leukemia, her friends and teammates started a push in 2009 to find a bone marrow donor, a search that went worldwide. Although it was unsuccessful for Ms. Schwartz, matches for several others were found. A bone marrow donor drive in her memory takes place at Yale every year since.

Mr. Schwartz announced the change in his number on Twitter.

“Sorry to the fans with #9 apparel but when I’m back in uniform I’ll be looking a little different this year,” he tweeted Friday.

He included a photo of himself and his parents standing by his sister’s stall in the Yale dressing room — where her Yale Bulldogs No. 17 jersey still hangs.

Fan reaction has generally been positive, although a few were unhappy, seemingly spurred by disappointment at seeing Mr. Sobotka leave.

“Losing Sobi is a big loss,” said Mr. Schwartz. “But everyone supports my decision.”

Last season was a good one for Mr. Schwartz, with 25 goals and 31 assists. Come October, he hopes to play to new heights in a new jersey.

“When I first put it on it will be pretty special. It’ll also be a little hard. I’ll take a moment to think.”

@sarsippius  Schwartz played for Colorado State in the NCAA for 3 years. He then went pro, had a few seasons of limited games,action and then WHAM...he broke out for 25 goals and 50+ pts last year. He's only 22 and last year was his first full year in the NHL. He has a TON of upside, and one thing for sure, whoever he plays with in the Blues top 9, they will be quality linemates.

• 3 weeks later...

@sarsippius  Schwartz played for Colorado State in the NCAA for 3 years. He then went pro, had a few seasons of limited games,action and then WHAM...he broke out for 25 goals and 50+ pts last year. He's only 22 and last year was his first full year in the NHL. He has a TON of upside, and one thing for sure, whoever he plays with in the Blues top 9, they will be quality linemates.

Yeah the only knock on him i see is his size and lack of physical element to his game. But this is a sad story about his sister....i'm pulling for him.

I see Fabbri got hurt the other day for Canada i hope he is alright.