Daniel Alfredsson 'wont play unless pain free'

yave1964

Ugh. In another chapter of how not to run a club in the offseason, the Wings held out the money to resign Daniel Alfredsson, rather than go after younger more attractive free agents. Now, at 41 and coming off an admittedly solid season, Alfie has reinjured his already ailing back and is leaning towards calling it a career.

Per Darren Dreger: Waiting game for Daniel Afredsson and the Red Wings. He won't play until pain free. Won't sign unless he's convinced he can still play.

Ken Holland has been quoted as saying that Alfredsson will likely attend camp without a contract and see if he can play and resign only if he feels he can still contribute. This is not the best way to utilize the 5 million, give or take, that Alfredsson will receive for the season.

Ugh. In another chapter of how not to run a club in the offseason, the Wings held out the money to resign Daniel Alfredsson, rather than go after younger more attractive free agents. Now, at 41 and coming off an admittedly solid season, Alfie has reinjured his already ailing back and is leaning towards calling it a career.Per Darren Dreger: Waiting game for Daniel Afredsson and the Red Wings. He won't play until pain free. Won't sign unless he's convinced he can still play.Ken Holland has been quoted as saying that Alfredsson will likely attend camp without a contract and see if he can play and resign only if he feels he can still contribute. This is not the best way to utilize the 5 million, give or take, that Alfredsson will receive for the season.

No worries! We have Dan Cleary!

I'd hate to see Alfie go out like that. I hated to see him leave Ottawa, but after our management dragged their feet to re-sign him, and with the fact that the season looked less than promising anyway, I can't blame him for trying to chase a Cup. If the Sens weren't going to win it (which, we weren't), I wish he could have gotten it. I wish he could go out in a better way.

Detroit Free Press reports this afternoon that Alfredsson probably won't attend the start of training camp.  Ken Holland admits Alfie's recent back pain is a little more serious than he originally thought.  Alfie hasn't skated in 10 days.

Crazily enough, Holland is still keeping the door open and is optimistic about Alfie coming back to play.  This is getting a little ridiculous.  I understand a player like Alfredsson should be courted the respect he deserves, but I think the writing is on the wall.  

Detroit Free Press reports this afternoon that Alfredsson probably won't attend the start of training camp.  Ken Holland admits Alfie's recent back pain is a little more serious than he originally thought.  Alfie hasn't skated in 10 days.

Crazily enough, Holland is still keeping the door open and is optimistic about Alfie coming back to play.  This is getting a little ridiculous.  I understand a player like Alfredsson should be courted the respect he deserves, but I think the writing is on the wall.

The problem with Alfie is by keeping a seat warm for him, if, as is looking more and more likely Alfie is a no go, it means that we have cap space free that could have been used to filla hole but now, nothing.

Well, thank God Bobby Orr never said "I won't play unless I'm pain free"...we would have been robbed of over half his already short career.

I kind of wondered about the entire 'pain free' BS. This aint baseball, it is Hockey.

But hey, at least we have Aaron Rome. And we resigned our GM even if we didn't sign anyone else.

Talk about a silver lining!  And if Rafael Diaz decides to join the camp, they might as well just hand us the Cup right now!

And yes...playing pain free is kind of an interesting excuse.  He missed about a third of last season because of pain and still managed to be the top scorer.  "I want to make sure I can contribute."  Score at least 15 goals and you can cross that little task off your list, Alfie.  

Talk about a silver lining!  And if Rafael Diaz decides to join the camp, they might as well just hand us the Cup right now!

And yes...playing pain free is kind of an interesting excuse.  He missed about a third of last season because of pain and still managed to be the top scorer.  "I want to make sure I can contribute."  Score at least 15 goals and you can cross that little task off your list, Alfie.  

Raphael Diaz signed with the Flames. Ugh. Aaron Rome is the best we could get.

Actually, Rome likely wont make the team, but the truth is i would take him over Lashoff any day of the week and twice on Sunday for a 7th d-man. It isnt the signing of Rome that bothers me, it is the fact that he is the ONLY signing of the entire offseason, not counting Porter and Miele who are ticketed for Grand Rapids. Now moving on from Bertuzzi, Tootoo and Samuelsson is addition by subtraction, Emmerton too. But this offseason has been the strangest one in memory.

We whiffed on every single d-man out there. Every single one.

After giving up a legit prospect for Legwand and a 2nd rounder, we simply let him walk.

We resigned Quincey. and Cleary, God help us all.

We held out the money needed to resign Alfie rather than sign Legwand or pursue a free agent forward.

We resigned our GM.

We didnt resign Babs.

Did i miss anything? Is Holland secretly trying to get us in the running for Connor McDavid?

Unfortunately, I think this is going to prove to be the end of the line for Alfie. I'd better prepare to say farewell to one of my favorites.  :(

We all say goodbye to the legend sooner or later.  We're still wishing Lidstrom will come back for one more season.  I think there's a support group meeting somewhere about this... :P

@yave1964

I can see this is one of those offseasons where Holland & Co. had really big dreams and a grand design of what would happen.  And none of it did.  Egg + Face =  :confused[1]:

Archived