2014-15 Season Outlook for Dallas Stars

pilldoc

http://predlines.com/2014/09/02/western-conference-outlook-dallas-stars/

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/nhl/dal/

How the finished last year: 8th in the Western Conference and snuck in Playoffs as the last Wild Card

Key Offseason Acqusition: Jason Spezza / Ales Hemsky

The Stars came within a wisker of advancing to the 2nd round in last season's playoffs.  So my adding Spezza to the likes if Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin does this get this team deaper into the playoffs  Kari Lehtonen is a solid netminder ranking 6th in wins last year.

The big news out of Dallas last year was the incident regarding Rich Peverley.

"It isn't clear yet if Rich Peverley will be able to return or if his career is over.

Stars GM Jim Nill was asked if there's a chance that doctors will tell Peverley to stop at any point and he said: "I'm not sure on that. I think we're all moving day to day and trying to see how far he can push it. We'll have patience with Rich and support him and simply go through the process. So much of it is listening to the doctors and allow them to guide the process." Peverley hasn't been cleared to skate, but he has been permitted to work out. To return to the ice he has to see a cardiologist first to be tested and as of now there's no timeline on that, according to Nill."

Projected depth.

Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
Cole - Spezza - Hemsky
Roussel - Eakin - Garbutt
Horcoff - Fiddler - Sceviour

Overall this seams to be a young talented bunch who just might benefit from the coaching style of Lindy Ruff.  This certainly will be a team to watch throughout the season.

Skill wise, the additions of Spezza and Hemsky give the Stars much more depth. They basically reconstructed their 2nd line and took a lot of heat off Seguin and Benn in the process. That is the positive....the negatives....Spezza's back is one hit away from retirement, and Hemsky is somewhat of an enigma. Hemsky can disappear for entire weeks at time. The guy has some of the slickest moves in the league, so slick he should be in the top 20 scorers...he's not even close to that, really struggles in the consistency dept. If these guys can stay healthy, there is a real good chance they make it past the 1st round next time out.

I know Let-four-in  :) is always among the league leaders in wins, I just don't see him as a championship caliber goalie. They need to replace him if they really want to progress in the playoffs...just my take.

Good points @jammer2.

I saw a team that came within a whisker of getting into round 2. Now was that more skill and luck or just an almost meltdown by the Ducks. You are right about both Spezza and Hemsky, but like you said, when healthy they might propel this team to the 2nd round.

I liked how this team never quits. I just think they might be fun to watch this year. Just my 2 cents.

@  Lot's of speed and skill there, I agree, they will be fun to watch. The bottom six is pretty solid also, you won't find many teams outworking them. I'm a big fan of Roussel, he brings a bit of scoring and a lot of physicality. Horcoff and Fiddler make a decent 4th line. If they can avoid major injuries, they should be much improved over last year, at least offensively.

IMO, there are two important things the Dallas Stars must keep straight in order to stay competitive and make the playoffs once again:

First thing, health, both in the new additions you guys mentioned, and with Keri Lehtonen himself.

When healthy, Kari can be as good as anyone.....not elite mind you, but certainly solid enough.

Teams could do much worse than have Lehtonen in net.

In fact, for a team like the Stars, with its young players and slow and steady rise, he is the perfect goalie to have....solid enough to where the forward lines and defense don't have to be overly worried about soft goals going in on a regular basis, buuut, since he WILL let in the occasional softie, it keeps those same young players honest and makes them pay attentin to their assignments, and thus, they develop into even better overall players recognizing all aspects of play.

Second thing?

Controlled play.

What I mean by that is, I saw MANY times last year where more experienced teams simply took advantage of the young players on the Stars by baiting them into bad penalties or agitating them to the point where their skill players got bogged down with the other team's bottom six players, or guys like Antoine Russel, Ryan Garbutt, or Vernon Fiddler (the team's OWN bottom six guys) went haywire and overdid it with the 'protection' or retaliation and ended up with double minors for stuff, majors, or third men in penalties.

The Stars as a team simply MUST control themselves out on the ice, because the more wily teams in the league will see their eagerness to mix it up, and will be all too happy to oblige....and put them on the PK somehow while they are at it.

Smart hockey will be the name of the game for this young team, and that is where a guy like Lindy Ruff can really earn his pay....get these guys very aware when he sees them losing control out there after outplaying a team for stretches.

Outside of those two things, this Stars team's future looks very good.

Granted, they are in one of the hardest (if not THE toughest) division in hockey to play out of, but if they stick to what they can do best, and do NOT play the opposition's style, whatever it may be, they should be fine.

Should they suffer a key injury or two, though, I just wonder if their depth will be enough to push them through not only the regular season, but any further than a first round if they get that far.

@TropicalFruitGirl26  One thing to keep an eye on, Jack Campbell might just steal a lot of starts from Kari. Last year, he was limited to just 15 games due to a knee injury. In those 15 games for the AHL's Texas Stars, he only lost one game in regulation...AND he had a wicked 1.37 GAA and a Save percentage just under .950....amazing stats, really. If that kind of play is any kind of indication on if he's ready or not....watch out NHL. It would be very healthy for the Stars to have a goalie controversy. Jack could be making his move for the #1 job, so Kari has to stay sharp.

To me, Lehtonen is the key to this club. I see him as the same as Backstrom (when healthy) in Minnesota, a step or two above Pavelec. I don't see him winning anything, sveral times his team has needed him to win a game down the stretch to make the postseason and he has played his worst hockey all year, I truly do not think that any team with him in net can be taken seriously. He simply is not a winner.

As for the rest of the team, it is well built and runs for sold lines, the defense is a bit thin but talented and Ruff had everyone playing within their role last year.

Archived