Could potential Coyotes sale be a precursor to a move to Las Vegas?

Irishjim

So let’s say you’re in the market to buy a new car. You walk into a dealership and talk to the sales guy, take one for a spin and agree on the price. You seal the deal with a handshake. When you come in a few days later to complete the paper work, the salesman tells you that not only has the price of the car has gone up dramatically, it’s being sold to someone else. You sue the sales guy for breach of contract.

Would you then be inclined to walk into the same dealership less than two months later to begin the process of buying a car from another salesman there?

Well, that’s in effect what Andrew Barroway is apparently doing.

read full article here: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/could-potential-coyotes-sale-be-a-precursor-to-a-move-to-las-vegas/

I would have viewed this story as hogwash until I read there is an out clause that the yotes could easily make..ala the plot from the movie major league..suck so bad..lose your fan base (like they had one in the first place) get out of lease

Would you then be inclined to walk into the same dealership less than two months later to begin the process of buying a car from another salesman there?

I don't get it. Why not just invest in expansion. Let the league (cough Toronto, NY and Philly) continue to bail out Az.

@notfondajane  The latest updates, as of a few days ago....

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11630940/andrew-barroway-working-deal-become-majority-owner-arizona-coyotes

The basic synopsis is that Andrew Barroway, a super rich hedge fund manager is going to buy 51% of the team from the new owners, a group of investors that purchased the team earlier in the year.

Barroway apparently had a handshake deal in place with Charles Wang, who now owns only a small percentage of the Isles. Wang upped the price by millions on the handshake deal, and the team went to new owners. Barroway, who has always wanted to own an NHL team, then turned his sights on the desert. The deal still has to be agreed on by the NHL Board of Govoners, but it is expected to pass. It's very good news for the Yotes, who basically guaranteed their owner would never go bankrupt with the Gazzillionaire Barroway leading the way.

@jammer2 I apologize for repeating your last post! I'm having trouble with my divide. I believe the Islander deal was in poor taste on Wang's part! This Will give the Coyotes stability. Will the city of Glendale let the team out of the lease if Burroway is able to purchase the team?

Will the city of Glendale let the team out of the lease if Burroway is able to purchase the team?

Not sure how Glendale is going to approach things, but one thing for sure, with Borroways money factored in, the Yotes can buy their way out of anything and money is no longer an object....they can just do what is right for the franchise, first time ever maybe, so very refreshing from that perspective.

Will the city of Glendale let the team out of the lease if Burroway is able to purchase the team?

No effing way. The tax payers have paid heavily to subsidize that team and there is no way in hell that they will "release" any obligation.

with Borroways money factored in, the Yotes can buy their way out of anything and money is no longer an object....they can just do what is right for the franchise, first time ever maybe, so very refreshing from that perspective.

Agreed, but it will not come cheap. We are talking a new arena, tax payer bail out, etc. Truthfully, if I am Barroway, I just let it run its course and then consider options of relocation. It does not make any prudent business sense to do otherwise. I am not sure of the terms of the lease / loan agreement, but I would venture a guess that "buying out" would v. a recoup on a relocation would be net sum after x years.

Why throw your money that way. AZ is a very good team (in fact, I have them winning the division this year). If you are going to live in the desert, you can do much worse than Glendale AZ.

No effing way. The tax payers have paid heavily to subsidize that team and there is no way in hell that they will "release" any obligation.
y@Vanflyer your point is well taken,there is a couple of ways Burroway could play this he could negotiate a buyout with the City of Glendale and move the team elsewhere in hopes of making a profit or keep the team in Glendale and use the team as a tax write off like Ed Debartolo sr. did with the Pens in mid to late 80s. Hopefully he'll put a competitive team on the ice!

• 2 months later...

Not sure how Glendale is going to approach things, but one thing for sure, with Borroways money factored in, the Yotes can buy their way out of anything and money is no longer an object....they can just do what is right for the franchise, first time ever maybe, so very refreshing from that perspective.

Man Mike Smith and his play sure looks Bryzesque!!!

5.6mill for the 4 years after this one......oooouch!

Can't see anyone taking him off their hands.

Edit: Man you know its slow day and the Eagles blow when i'm talking about the Yotes.

If i'm Vegas or another city.....i'm holding out for Florida.....it won't be long before they are moved as well i think and they are loaded!

• 3 weeks later...

Edit: Man you know its slow day and the Eagles blow when i'm talking about the Yotes.

If i'm Vegas or another city.....i'm holding out for Florida.....it won't be long before they are moved as well i think and they are loaded!

I don't see that happening any time soon. It would be to expensive to travel to Florida just for one game for teams like Vancouver and Edmonton. Hopefully the owners team will market the Panthers better

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived