Habs retire Guy Lapointe's famous #5....

jammer2

Didn't see a thread on this, and really....we would be remiss an a hockey community if this was not mentioned here. The last of the "Big 3" to have his number retired by the Canadians, Guy was a staggering +369 in his career. His best offense season was a 78 point effort, and twice 3 times he surpassed 20 goals in a season, 21...25...and an amazing 28 in 1978, his best season points wise...and 1975 was a close second at 75 pts. It's amazing because Guy was MUCH better defensively than he was an offensive force, just shows how great he was all round.

I've always thought he was one of true underrated stars of our game. He just does not talked about much, which is a shame. One of the best cover d-men to ever play. He could stick to you like glue and was not afraid to give you a forearm shiver if the mood struck him. Just a great, great all round talent.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=2960

Just caught a glimpse of the jersey retiring ceremony. What an emotional tear jerker.....you could tell the honour meant the world to him....awesome to see him rewarded for all those years of great play!!

I know the Isles went on to win 4 straight in the early eighties after the Habs had done the feat from 76-79, and Gretzky and the Oilers woulda coulda shoulda if not for Steve Smith and the horrible own goal and they in their own right deserve to be considered a dynasty, but to me, when I think of dynasties in my lifetime I think of the 70's Canadiens.

Like you said, three HOFers on defense, Robinson, Savard and Pointu.

Forwards who made the hall include Lafleur, Shutt, Lemaire, Gainey, and Cournoyer.

Goalie Ken Dryden, six cups in his brief 8 year career.

Scotty Bowman, with apologies to the duffers who argue for Toe Blake is the greatest coach of all time.

Yeah, I know the Isles have their list, the Oilers as well, but this team was unbeatable when they wanted it. Dryden, in his wonderful book The Game describes Lapointe as the man who kept the locker room loose. Congrate to a great superstar of the game for getting his due, they got the right guy.

@yave1964   When I think if the Hab dynasty of the late 70's....the first thing I think of is "they played the game the way it should be played" kinda thing. They were not knee deep in 40 goal scorers, but they made do with the most amazing two way game that hockey has ever seen. Every forward bought into Scotty's system. The defense was so tuned into the game, they all knew exactly when to pinch and when to not. I've never seen a stat to back this up, but I'd venture to guess those Hab teams allowed the least amount of odd man breaks in NHL history.....and then, when you did manage to sneak out a break away, you had to beat one of the games all time best money goalie's....a tough task to say the least.

@yave1964   Pretty cool article from Hockeywriters.com.....it pits the different dynasty's against each other in a showdown kinda format. The outcome was the 70's Habs, and I tend to agree. Nice seeing them making the finals against the 80's Oilers.....the way it should have been. Also nice to see them knock out the Islanders of the 70's....always thought the Habs of that era were much better than the Islanders. The Islanders had more depth on offense (arguably)....but their depth on defense was unmatched....then you had the honest lawyer in net....lol, much better than Chico Resch or Battl'in Billy Smith.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-great-nhl-dynasties/

Didn't see a thread on this, and really....we would be remiss an a hockey community if this was not mentioned here. The last of the "Big 3" to have his number retired by the Canadians, Guy was a staggering +369 in his career. His best offense season was a 78 point effort, and twice 3 times he surpassed 20 goals in a season, 21...25...and an amazing 28 in 1978, his best season points wise...and 1975 was a close second at 75 pts. It's amazing because Guy was MUCH better defensively than he was an offensive force, just shows how great he was all round.

I've always thought he was one of true underrated stars of our game. He just does not talked about much, which is a shame. One of the best cover d-men to ever play. He could stick to you like glue and was not afraid to give you a forearm shiver if the mood struck him. Just a great, great all round talent.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=2960

Just caught a glimpse of the jersey retiring ceremony. What an emotional tear jerker.....you could tell the honour meant the world to him....awesome to see him rewarded for all those years of great play!!

He was? My dad always said Savard was the best of the 3, followed by Robinson Defensively.

Robinson was the best defensively. Not just on the Canadiens but pretty much anywhere. Savard was the best offensively.

Agreed, and Lapointe was the second best at both, bringing a lot to the table and creating the most devastating trio in the history of the game.

Agreed, and Lapointe was the second best at both, bringing a lot to the table and creating the most devastating trio in the history of the game.

Yeah, although Robinson didn't exactly suck offensively either. That was just an amazing defense they had. God, did I hate that team  ;)

Archived