John Klingberg impressing.

J0e Th0rnton

Anyone else caught games with this kid yet?

Only a 5th round pick, so i did not pay much attention when he was called up. But I caught 2 games with him last week and he really impressed me. The first thing I noticed is he was playing over 24 minutes a night in both games, which is strange for a rookie. The second thing I noticed was his label of offensive defenseman is deserved, but he is more well rounded than I thought.

I felt like dude was going to snap in half after a good hit, but he has a very good base and absorbs hits well. He even threw a few hits that were good and did not put him out of position.

They just asked him to buy a house, so I guess he is definitely staying AND he was getting top PP unit time.

Great passes. Great stickwork. Good shot. Calm cool plays

As soon as he was called up I picked him up in both of my leagues, on the spot. In one, I even cut a decent scoring blueliner for him.

I made a comment, a bit giddy that he was the next Eril Karlsson. That may not be quite right, lol but the kid can fly and looks to advance with the puck as soon as he touches it. 12 points in 10 games in the AHL and he rang 3 posts in his last game before being recalled. I love this kid. Dallas is playing him 24 minutes a night since his recall, tops among their d-men as well as getting first team power play minutes.

As soon as he was called up I picked him up in both of my leagues, on the spot. In one, I even cut a decent scoring blueliner for him.

I made a comment, a bit giddy that he was the next Eril Karlsson. That may not be quite right, lol but the kid can fly and looks to advance with the puck as soon as he touches it. 12 points in 10 games in the AHL and he rang 3 posts in his last game before being recalled. I love this kid. Dallas is playing him 24 minutes a night since his recall, tops among their d-men as well as getting first team power play minutes.

I noticed nobody picked him up in our league and jumped on him myself. Had to choose between dropping Wisniewski and Barrie and ended up dropping Wisniewski.

In a week, Hedman should be back and they will be on my reserve anyways :P

• 2 months later...

Stars' Klingberg quietly joins Calder discussion

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=36886&navid=nhl:topheads

Nice find for the Stars.

love these mid to late round Swedes. Too bad the Wings didn't get him, lol. Back when we had Swedes on the team the joke in Hockey town was that Detroit was the second largest city in Sweden, lol.

Seriously this kid has vision, I usually study d-men, he doesn't just jump into the play, he carries the puck in like a fourth forward, he has been given a bit of hell for it by coach Ruff, he even sat him for a game two weeks ago for being too offensive oriented and not paying enough attention on his own back end. But wow does this kid impress. I would still take Ekland because he is ony 18 but Klingberg is fun too.

• 2 months later...

Wow that is a hell of a bridge deal...John Klingberg contract. It is expected to be seven years at $4.25 million and not $4.2 million.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/04/source-stars-and-john-klingberg-have-agreed-to-terms-on-seven-year-extension.html/

The Stars have agreed to terms on a seven-year contract extension with defenseman John Klingberg that will average $4.2 million, $4.25 million, according to a source.

The Stars could announce the deal as soon as today.

Klingberg, 22, led all NHL rookie defensemen in scoring this season with 40 points (11 goals, 29 assists) in 65 games played. He also ranked third among all rookies in average time on ice at 21:50 per game.

He led all Stars defensemen in scoring and was third on the team in plus-minus at plus-5.

Klingberg was drafted in the fifth round (131st overall) in 2010 and played in both the Swedish and Finnish elite leagues before coming to North America full-time this season. The native of Gothenburg, Sweden was also part of the 2012 gold-medal team for Sweden at the World Juniors.

Klingberg had double hip surgery last summer, so he started the 2014-15 season in the AHL, where he scored 12 points (four goals, eight assists) in 10 games.

He was then elevated to the NHL and became a regular for the Stars.

Klingberg could have become a restricted free agent on July 1, meaning the Stars had the right to match any offer for him. They could have tried to work for a more affordable short-term contract, as they have with past RFAs, but they clearly are making an investment in his potential.

At this time, Klingberg would have the sixth highest salary cap hit on the team next season, and second highest among defensemen. Alex Goligoski has one year remaining on his deal at a salary cap hit of $4.6 million.

This contract would take Klingberg to the end of the 2021-22 season and would become the longest on the Stars.

The Stars still have potential unrestricted free agents in Patrick Eaves, Jhonas Enroth, Shawn Horcoff and Rich Peverley. They also have potential RFAs in Patrik Nemeth, Jamie Oleksiak, Jyrki Jokipakka and Curtis McKenzie. However, Klingberg’s deal was an obvious priority and this should allow him to compete in the World Championships in the Czech Republic in May.

Edited by OccamsRazor

• 2 months later...

love these mid to late round Swedes. Too bad the Wings didn't get him, lol. Back when we had Swedes on the team the joke in Hockey town was that Detroit was the second largest city in Sweden, lol.

Seriously this kid has vision, I usually study d-men, he doesn't just jump into the play, he carries the puck in like a fourth forward, he has been given a bit of hell for it by coach Ruff, he even sat him for a game two weeks ago for being too offensive oriented and not paying enough attention on his own back end. But wow does this kid impress. I would still take Ekland because he is ony 18 but Klingberg is fun too.

I think if the Stars are smart they would go out and sign Johnny Oduya next to help nurture this young blueline...more specifically Klingberg...they need more help on the blueline and he has the resume you want maybe a 2 year deal.

• Like 1

I think if the Stars are smart they would go out and sign Johnny Oduya next to help nurture this young blueline...more specifically Klingberg...they need more help on the blueline and he has the resume you want maybe a 2 year deal.

Let me start by saying that IMHO Oduya is overrated, he is an average defenseman and really nothing more than that.

THAT SAID, Average is a huge upgrade over this F-troop that the Stars have on the blueline. I love Klingberg and think his potential as a puck mover is enormous, Goligoski can play the point quite well, but neither is strong in their own zone. Both get pushed around a fair amount. As for the rest of the defense, simply dreadful. Jordie Benn is wretched, the prospects are suspect and for the life of me I cannot understand what Nill is doing adding Sharp but subtracting Daley from an already woefully thin defense.

Oduya is responsible in his own zone which would make him a God with this bunch. He would be a great partner with Klingberg. If he can be added at a fairly reasonable cost I say go for it. There is not much else out there, Franson would be a dreadful signing for this team, they already have a couple of offensive blueliners who aren't nothing special on the back end, Ehrhoff might do okay IF he stays healthy which is a big if. Bryce Salvador probably could play bottom pair minutes if you were desperate. A guy who I really like is Ryan Stanton who is a good sized kid with good numbers in the AHL but has failed trials in Chicago and Vancouver so while I always kind of thought he would make it doubt has set in.\

So yeah, Oduya because although he is unspectacular the other options are awful.

• Like 1

So yeah, Oduya because although he is unspectacular the other options are awful.

I agree he is solid but i would n't say over rated i don't think....becuase i rate him as a decent #4-5 Dman. Which like you said compared to the rest of the Star blueline he'd be an upgrade. Him on the left side of Klingberg would be a great pair i think.

Let me start by saying that IMHO Oduya is overrated, he is an average defenseman and really nothing more than that.

THAT SAID, Average is a huge upgrade over this F-troop that the Stars have on the blueline. I love Klingberg and think his potential as a puck mover is enormous, Goligoski can play the point quite well, but neither is strong in their own zone. Both get pushed around a fair amount. As for the rest of the defense, simply dreadful. Jordie Benn is wretched, the prospects are suspect and for the life of me I cannot understand what Nill is doing adding Sharp but subtracting Daley from an already woefully thin defense.

Oduya is responsible in his own zone which would make him a God with this bunch. He would be a great partner with Klingberg. If he can be added at a fairly reasonable cost I say go for it. There is not much else out there, Franson would be a dreadful signing for this team, they already have a couple of offensive blueliners who aren't nothing special on the back end, Ehrhoff might do okay IF he stays healthy which is a big if. Bryce Salvador probably could play bottom pair minutes if you were desperate. A guy who I really like is Ryan Stanton who is a good sized kid with good numbers in the AHL but has failed trials in Chicago and Vancouver so while I always kind of thought he would make it doubt has set in.\

Holy schit bro i'm on fire....i need to go play the damn lottery real quick like....

Dallas StarsVerified account

‏@DallasStars

PERISCOPE?! Not today.

BREAKING: #Stars sign D-man Johnny Oduya to a two-year contract.

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=774832

Dallas Stars General Manager Jim Nill announced today that the club has signed unrestricted free agent defenseman Johnny Oduya to a two-year contract. Per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Oduya, 33, posted 10 points (2-8=10) in 76 regular-season games played for Chicago in 2014-15. He finished the season third on the team with 123 blocked shots and his 20:17 of average time on ice per game was fourth. In 23 postseason contests, he registered five assists (0-5=5) and 63 blocked shots, which were second on Chicago. Averaging 24:45 of time on ice per game, he helped the Blackhawks to the 2015 Stanley Cup championship.

The nine-year NHL veteran has appeared in 664 career regular-season games, posting 152 career points (31-121=152) for New Jersey, Atlanta/Winnipeg and Chicago. He has appeared in the postseason seven times, winning two Stanley Cups (2013, 2015) and registering 25 points (5-20=25) in 89 career playoff games.

"Johnny is a steady, veteran presence on the blueline and he'll complement our group nicely," Nill said. "He has achieved a great deal of success, winning the Stanley Cup twice, and his championship-mentality will be valuable in our room."

Oduya has represented Sweden three times in international competition, twice at the Olympics (2010, 2014) and once at the IIHF World Championships (2009).

The 6-foot-0, 188-pound native of Stockholm, Sweden was originally selected by Washington in the seventh round (221st overall) of the 2001 NHL Draft.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/17/2015 at 11:49 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Wow that is a hell of a bridge deal...John Klingberg contract. It is expected to be seven years at $4.25 million and not $4.2 million.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/04/source-stars-and-john-klingberg-have-agreed-to-terms-on-seven-year-extension.html/

The Stars have agreed to terms on a seven-year contract extension with defenseman John Klingberg that will average $4.2 million, $4.25 million, according to a source.

The Stars could announce the deal as soon as today.

Klingberg, 22, led all NHL rookie defensemen in scoring this season with 40 points (11 goals, 29 assists) in 65 games played. He also ranked third among all rookies in average time on ice at 21:50 per game.

He led all Stars defensemen in scoring and was third on the team in plus-minus at plus-5.

Klingberg was drafted in the fifth round (131st overall) in 2010 and played in both the Swedish and Finnish elite leagues before coming to North America full-time this season. The native of Gothenburg, Sweden was also part of the 2012 gold-medal team for Sweden at the World Juniors.

Klingberg had double hip surgery last summer, so he started the 2014-15 season in the AHL, where he scored 12 points (four goals, eight assists) in 10 games.

He was then elevated to the NHL and became a regular for the Stars.

Klingberg could have become a restricted free agent on July 1, meaning the Stars had the right to match any offer for him. They could have tried to work for a more affordable short-term contract, as they have with past RFAs, but they clearly are making an investment in his potential.

At this time, Klingberg would have the sixth highest salary cap hit on the team next season, and second highest among defensemen. Alex Goligoski has one year remaining on his deal at a salary cap hit of $4.6 million.

This contract would take Klingberg to the end of the 2021-22 season and would become the longest on the Stars.

The Stars still have potential unrestricted free agents in Patrick Eaves, Jhonas Enroth, Shawn Horcoff and Rich Peverley. They also have potential RFAs in Patrik Nemeth, Jamie Oleksiak, Jyrki Jokipakka and Curtis McKenzie. However, Klingberg’s deal was an obvious priority and this should allow him to compete in the World Championships in the Czech Republic in May.

In retrospect of 1 year and how high i was on this kid and thinking still "7 years is too much for a half year rookie"

I think by next year, this could be, if not already, the best contract in the NHL.

The have a 55+ point, probably able to get 75 point defenseman who is good defensively, at moving the puck and who can QB the PP for under 4.5 million for 6 more years

• Like 1

On 7/18/2016 at 1:23 PM, J0e Th0rnton said:

In retrospect of 1 year and how high i was on this kid and thinking still "7 years is too much for a half year rookie"

I think by next year, this could be, if not already, the best contract in the NHL.

The have a 55+ point, probably able to get 75 point defenseman who is good defensively, at moving the puck and who can QB the PP for under 4.5 million for 6 more years

I have to agree after seeing the contracts that have been handed out lately....then even taking a quick look at the contract the Flyers gave and are still paying for Mcdud...yeah it looks like a hell of a bargain.

• 4 years later...

Flyers need to call and trade for Klingberg now that this is under wraps.

Dallas Stars sign Miro Heiskanen to an 8-year contract extension through the 2028-29 season. 8.4 AAV.

Edited by OccamsRazor