Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ruxpin

Unbelievable.  I really don't get all the whining here.

Jake is in a points lead race with Sidney Crosby, playing the best of his career and yet this team is boring and unwatchable.  

Giroux is probably leading the league in face - off wins and yet this team is hard to watch.

This team is far more disciplined than any other Flyers team in a long time yet, wow somehow playing the right way is boring.

Our PP has been one of the best all season and yet this is unwatchable.

This team imo has put out an effort just about every game, they have only lost by more than 2 goals twice this season, which says to me they give a decent effort night in and night out.

Berube want the team to play harder, give a 60min effort.  I see nothing wrong with that.

I don't see it as whining. It's just how I feel when I've watched them this year (which admittedly has not been that much). Are you questioning the sincerity of my feelings?! :ph34r:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone else having this issue?

The Flyers games win, lose, or draw are sleep-inducing snooze fests.

They simply don't keep my attention and inspire no emotion other than irritation (is that an emotion?) that I should be doing just about anything else.

It's not just about being a bad team (they are). It's that they are simply a piss poor product.

There is no cohesion, no emotion, no identity, no passion, no nothing.

When did this team become the Florida Panthers?

I hope Hextall can figure a way out of the disgusting, criminally inept job Holmgren did. The fact that guy is still President of the team is an utter joke. He should be unemployed and homeless.

It is wholly unenjoyable to watch. Root canal by rear entry has to be better.

I've actually enjoyed watching the team this year because for the first time in a long time, I feel like I'm watching a 'team' develop and a core that will be together for a long time. 

It's a treat to see the evolution in Voracek and Giroux's game, and how keeping them together over multiple seasons has - surprise, surprise - led to amazing chemistry. I want to see more of that. If Schenn can do well this season, imagine what the three of them can do in 2-3 years of being consistent linemates?

Trying to cobble a team together, as in the past, is the surest way to *not* have a team. No one cares for each other, no one grows together, and they just don't have shared experiences.

It's been interesting to watch this year because of the promise Hextall brings in doing things differently. Some might say a fresh perspective.

Jake is in a points lead race with Sidney Crosby, playing the best of his career and yet this team is boring and unwatchable.  

Giroux is probably leading the league in face - off wins and yet this team is hard to watch.

This team is far more disciplined than any other Flyers team in a long time yet, wow somehow playing the right way is boring.

This team imo has put out an effort just about every game, they have only lost by more than 2 goals twice this season, which says to me they give a decent effort night in and night out.

Berube want the team to play harder, give a 60min effort.  I see nothing wrong with that.

I dont see it as whining at all... EVERY coach wants a 60 minute effort from Learn to Play Hockey through the NHL.   That is not anything Berube does special.   What is being questioned is the constant juggling of lines and the "system" that Berube is trying to get this team to play.

Going by that logic we also have the worst PK in the league, are pretty one dimensional in scoring, we have two stiffs in Umberger and VLC that are making nearly more money that anyone on the team, our defense is terrible - so does that mean they are a terrible team?  No... are they a great team?  No... they are pretty average.

I am sure just skating harder and giving a 60 minute effort every night will put this team right in contention w/ the ECFs :confused[1]:

and for the record I have no problem watching the games... watching the "brilliant hockey mind" break down the teams play afterwards is another story all together.   ;)

Thank you for this post, hf.

here is a question:  if the do put out an effort every night than WHY IS BERUBE ALWAYS questioning this teams commitment and compete level?   Seems odd that he is the Coach and always brings this up.  are you suggesting he is not accurate?

I don't see it as whining. It's just how I feel when I've watched them this year (which admittedly has not been that much). Are you questioning the sincerity of my feelings?! :ph34r:

You saved me the typing.  I really don't see what is so wonderful.  I really do appreciate the "glass half-full" (I've typed that twice in the last half hour.  I need to go shower) that @hf101 is attempting here, but I disagree with everything except Jake & Giroux's stats.

The truth of the matter is they are NOT playing the right way (whatever THAT is).  0-0 is great but when it's 46 shots to 21 you got there by accident.  They are horrendously boring to watch.

30th in the PK.

Yeah, they're 9th in goals for, but they're 22nd in goals against.

They're 18th in 5v5 goal ratio.

I don't know where to find it, but I bet you compared to other teams the time spend in the defensive zone vs. the offensive zone is atrocious.

They are 7th in shots per game but 27th in shots against (ahead of Buffalo, Colorado, and Ottawa--none of whom will sniff the playoffs)

And... where it counts:   They currently sit 26th among 30 teams.   If they're playing the right way, they need to try to play the WRONG way.

I've actually enjoyed watching the team this year because for the first time in a long time, I feel like I'm watching a 'team' develop and a core that will be together for a long time. 

It's a treat to see the evolution in Voracek and Giroux's game, and how keeping them together over multiple seasons has - surprise, surprise - led to amazing chemistry. I want to see more of that. If Schenn can do well this season, imagine what the three of them can do in 2-3 years of being consistent linemates?

Trying to cobble a team together, as in the past, is the surest way to *not* have a team. No one cares for each other, no one grows together, and they just don't have shared experiences.

It's been interesting to watch this year because of the promise Hextall brings in doing things differently. Some might say a fresh perspective.

I was honestly waiting for either the ninja face or a "Bazinga!"

The truth of the matter is they are NOT playing the right way.  0-0 is great but when it's 46 shots to 21 you got there by accident.  And I don't agree they are playing the "right" way (whatever THAT is).  They are horrendously boring to watch.

30th in the PK.

Yeah, they're 9th in goals for, but they're 22nd in goals against.

They're 18th in 5v5 goal ratio.

I don't know where to find it, but I bet you compared to other teams the time spend in the defensive zone vs. the offensive zone is atrocious.

They are 7th in shots per game but 27th in shots against (ahead of Buffalo, Colorado, and Ottawa--none of whom will sniff the playoffs)

And... where it counts:   They currently sit 26th among 30 teams.   If they're playing the right way, they need to try to play the WRONG way.

Plus, there's my feelings.

If they're playing the right way, they need to try to play the WRONG way.

the only person that played 60 minutes the other night agains tthe Isles was Mason.  But sure... we are heading for great things.   Yay!  We are good at faceoffs this year (not a bad thing but being sarcastic)...

if you look at Fenwick we are 19/20th in the league.

Which of these fancy new stats measures puck support? 'Cause we suck at it, all over the ice.

If there isn't one, time to invent one. I plan to spend the rest of the day not inventing the stat but naming it, which is way more fun. 

Puck Support System Index - PUSSI??

the only person that played 60 minutes the other night agains tthe Isles was Mason.  But sure... we are heading for great things.   Yay!  We are good at faceoffs this year (not a bad thing but being sarcastic)...

It's great Giroux has such a great faceoff winning percentage.  But if the team  is just going to cough the damn thing up immediately after because they can't seem to win a puck battle and don't seem to know what to do with it when they accidentally do.

Honestly, okay, the first line is doing well.  Hopefully they keep Schenn there, but I have my doubts.

What is the rest of the team doing?  Let's talk about this "development" thing.   Is Read developing?  Is Read BREATHING?   How about Simmonds?  I'm starting with two players I actually really like, but Simmonds hasn't really done anything in weeks (I think he scored Thursday or whenever, but aside from that).  Is Couturier developing?  I like him, but what growth is there when despite advertisements in the offseason he stayed on the second line for 40 minutes.  I don't want this to go into 14 pages about Rinaldo, but seriously?  Other than Mason, who is developing?

To develop, there needs to be just a little bit more direction than "play harder."  To develop chemistry they need to stick with lines longer than the time it's taking me to write this novel.   

All that, and really, I started this thread simply saying:  This team does not hold my attention and if I have something, anything else to do or watch I end up not watching the game.  I've actually spent the last handful of games in the chat room kibitzing with folks but not actually even having the game on.

It's not hockey in general because when I watch other games I'm entertained.  This just is NOT entertaining hockey to me.  Hockey, to me, has passion.  In the absence of that, it's just a bunch of overpaid guys skating around.

If you look at possession as of the 22nd of Nov we are 21st in the NHL

http://puckstats.wordpress.com/

You're going to need to explain to me what to do with the "adj P" category.  I finally found it in the glossary but still am not sure I get it.

So, we're 7th in the league at offensive zone time and 26th in the league in defensive zone time?  Am I reading that correctly?

How does that jive?   We must be dead last in neutral zone time because otherwise how do those stats jive?  We can't spend more time in the O-zone than 23 teams but MORE time in the defensive zone than 25 of them, can we?

Giroux is ranked # 1 on FOs

Cooter is #39

Bellemare is #96

then VLC is #145

You know, if there are 30 teams in the league each with 4 centers and our THIRD line center is #39, I'm actually kind of okay with that.

YAY!  We lead the league in winning faceoffs and then coughing up the puck!!  Woohoo!

I was honestly waiting for either the ninja face or a "Bazinga!"

No ninja :) I dunno, I think it's my perspective on things that has changed the most over the past year. All this self-development stuff really works, haha!

brelic, on 26 Nov 2014 - 3:24 PM, said:

here is a question:  if the do put out an effort every night than WHY IS BERUBE ALWAYS questioning this teams commitment and compete level?   Seems odd that he is the Coach and always brings this up.  are you suggesting he is not accurate?

Not sure what happened there, but I didn't write that.

You know, if there are 30 teams in the league each with 4 centers and our THIRD line center is #39, I'm actually kind of okay with that.

YAY!  We lead the league in winning faceoffs and then coughing up the puck!!  Woohoo!

That seriously made me laugh!

It is never as bad or as good as it may seem in hockey.   My biggest question is that we are supposed to be in a transition year yet I dont see much growth out of key players - Read, Simmonds (hurts to say this), Cooter.  Schenn seems to be playing good hockey and will wait and see b/c he can be streaky and then vanish.

I never expected this team to win and thought they might sneak into the playoffs.   All I am questioning is the "system" and the constant juggling of lines.   There are players that I expect more from - Read, Simmonds, etc... Cooter is still a kid and I can let him slde to a degree.   I dont think it is unfair to question the coach at this point b/c what I see is really not all that great.  

Moral victores are great but this is a young team and I want to see progress - other than Jake I really dont see anything striking in the terms of progress from last year on an individual basis.   Overall I think it might be worse.

1/2 full or 1/2 empty - I still think the team is stagnant.   If this is a transition year I WANT TO see the Coach making progress b/c right now I dont see progression compared to last year.  He has nearly the same exact team as last year sans Kimmo.  

No ninja :) I dunno, I think it's my perspective on things that has changed the most over the past year. All this self-development stuff really works, haha!

Not sure what happened there, but I didn't write that.

I *think* he ended up quoting something you had quoted from hf101.   Weird.

All I am questioning is the "system" and the constant juggling of lines.   

Agree with your comments on player, etc.

And I definitely agree about the constant juggling of lines and have written similar about "system."

But I do wonder if the "system" thing is a bit overblown.  Mojo (I think it was mojo) wrote a pretty good post about what the system is supposed to be.  I honestly don't see it, but he's typically a better Xs & Os guy than I am so I trust his assessment.

I'll hang my hat on the line juggling thing but maybe both the juggling and the difficulty in perceiving a system is that we really do have a bunch of pieces that don't go together cohesively.  Even with the box with the finished picture on it right next to you, it's pretty hard to put a jigsaw puzzle together and have it look right when someone's thrown a bunch of pieces from six other puzzles in there and took some of the proper pieces out.

Maybe Berube has a diagram but he's just trying anything to make the car go without wheels.

Archived