Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ruxpin

Is anyone else having this issue?

The Flyers games win, lose, or draw are sleep-inducing snooze fests.

They simply don't keep my attention and inspire no emotion other than irritation (is that an emotion?) that I should be doing just about anything else.

It's not just about being a bad team (they are). It's that they are simply a piss poor product.

There is no cohesion, no emotion, no identity, no passion, no nothing.

When did this team become the Florida Panthers?

I hope Hextall can figure a way out of the disgusting, criminally inept job Holmgren did. The fact that guy is still President of the team is an utter joke. He should be unemployed and homeless.

It is wholly unenjoyable to watch. Root canal by rear entry has to be better.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh... There is no bias doom. RJ flat out blows. That is fact... Totally different from bias.

No argument there.

I was referring to part about the penalties, and their effect on team play and wins.

Today, the Flyers took it bareback. Let's see how it plays out over a year.

I think there's something to the playing without penalties thing. Yeah, you don't want your team constantly down, but this team has been neutered and stripped of any personality. The penalty thing is definitely a contributing factor.

I've seen more interesting infomercials.

I think there's something to the playing without penalties thing. Yeah, you don't want your team constantly down, but this team has been neutered and stripped of any personality. The penalty thing is definitely a contributing factor.

I've seen more interesting infomercials.

Very well out.... This team is very vanilla Rux...

This team reminds me a lot of that team in the 2000's that set the record for losing... they were just so "blah"

Call me crazy, but losing Hartnell and "gaining" VLC/Shamburgler  really gutted this team emotionally.  

Really... other than Simmer, Giroux, and Zac, who shows ANY emotion????

I'm not used to having so many players I "hate" on the Flyers also!

We've always had the occasional douche... Pitkanen, Brendl, Chechmaniac, Bryz, etc... but we've got quite a few players right now that seriously "irk" me.

McDud, VLC, Dumburglar, Bad Schenn (at times), Coburn (at many times)...  we've got like 5-6 players I would be happy if they just retired!!  That says a lot to me... they're just not that likable of a group.

And I don't think "chief" is helping very much... Nothing against the guy, but I don't think he's all that good of a coach.  Really... what other coach is going to get "out-maneuvered" by Craig freakin' Berube????  And his random line rotations also kill the "vibe" of the team... you never know who the heck is playing where.  I think Belle could be a fan favourite.... but no, he gets stuck cleaning up slop so that VLC and Umby can play 15-20 mins per night!?... sheesh.

@ruxpin

I was thinking the same thing Rux. I wanted to blame the recent Eagles success for diverting my attention, but then I found myself watching other teams and getting into it, so, therefore I cannot blame the Eagles. 

It's just a passive, defense first kind of team. Yawn.....

And I don't think "chief" is helping very much... Nothing against the guy, but I don't think he's all that good of a coach.  Really... what other coach is going to get "out-maneuvered" by Craig freakin' Berube????  And his random line rotations also kill the "vibe" of the team... you never know who the heck is playing where.  I think Belle could be a fan favourite.... but no, he gets stuck cleaning up slop so that VLC and Umby can play 15-20 mins per night!?... sheesh.

This ^^^^^^.  Excatly and well said.  Granted he can only coach the players he has been given, but c'mon, the rotating of lines is ridiculousl.  I've had it with Vinny and Suckberger.  Together they bring absolutely nothing to this team..

But what else is to be said when you have a defense with AHL caliber and not much else.

I agree..recent games have been snooze fests.  I was in the i'm ok with Hartnell being traded camp, boy was I wrong.  Water under the bridge now.

@ruxpin

The most interesting thing about this team is that they are uninteresting.

The fact that I can't be bothered to watch, which generally means finding a free online feed, speaks volumes. I'm just not interested. And, I admit, I've taken to watching Jets games instead. And that's a team that can hardly score. But they have some kind of personality, which flows straight from their coach.

This ^^^^^^.  Excatly and well said.  Granted he can only coach the players he has been given, but c'mon, the rotating of lines is ridiculousl.  I've had it with Vinny and Suckberger.  Together they bring absolutely nothing to this team..

But what else is to be said when you have a defense with AHL caliber and not much else.

I agree..recent games have been snooze fests.  I was in the i'm ok with Hartnell being traded camp, boy was I wrong.  Water under the bridge now.

dont worry doc... I am sure the following statements will be made during every Berrube interview:

• they need to skate harder
  • they need to move their feet
  • you need to compete in this league
  • you cant come out flat...

I went back a few games and here are actual Berube quotes - you know he is "one of the brightest minds in hockey:

• “We don’t have enough guys that compete hard enough, that show enough urgency throughout the game.”
  • “We just gotta do a better job of playing on the road
  • We didn’t skate, we didn’t compete, you got to play hard in this league and we didn’t do that
  • Skating, competing. We couldn’t keep up.”

I cant listen to him in the press conference anymore...  either he really does not have a strategy or his strategy is "skate harder..."   If "skate harder" is his system then he is failing at it.   I just cant listen to the guy anymore...

I cant listen to him in the press conference anymore...  either he really does not have a strategy or his strategy is "skate harder..."   If "skate harder" is his system then he is failing at it.   I just cant listen to the guy anymore...

Yeah, but at least he doesn't say "Time is yours."

Greetings:

I posted along these lines last week. They are boring.

This is probably several things..some objective, some "upstairs."  I think the objective reality is lack of talent. I agree with Carchidi this morning--you beyond the first line and it is zilch.  Raffl's reappearance will help but only a little.  The second problem is cohesion.  I've said it before and will say it for the umpteenth time.--we collect other teams's first rounders instead of developing our own. it won't matter who's the coach.  They don't know each other instinctively. 

The fewer penalties mandate hurts, especially for long-time fans.  We like physical hockey. But I might say the Red Wings are physical...but skilled!

I think the real problem, short-and-sweet, is that long-time fans are used to winning.  I said months back that by Turkey Day we'd see what this team is. And my sense is that we are getting a read on that score...and it is not pleasant.  I doubt we make the playoffs, and wonder if we play .500.  I think the real question which others raise here is how long it will take to undo Homer's mess.  I suspect at least two seasons.  

I hope all here have a good Turkey Day.  I am up visiting from Florida...will be at the Rags game on Friday and hope we see a competitive game.

Best,

Howie

dont worry doc... I am sure the following statements will be made during every Berrube interview:

I went back a few games and here are actual Berube quotes - you know he is "one of the brightest minds in hockey:

• “We don’t have enough guys that compete hard enough, that show enough urgency throughout the game.”
  • We didn’t skate, we didn’t compete, you got to play hard in this league and we didn’t do that

Are you sure you are not quoting Andy Reid???? (SMH)

I cant listen to him in the press conference anymore... either he really does not have a strategy or his strategy is "skate harder..." If "skate harder" is his system then he is failing at it. I just cant listen to the guy anymore...

Here's the kicker, he's right. Except for scratching players, an NHL coach has no real power to force accountability.

Why does penalty free have to mean "personality" free ?
I do think there is something to that line of thinking.

I think the biggest challenge for these guys is they are collectively not very good skaters.

There are some good skaters with speed Jake, Rinaldo, PEB, Read , Coburn and some guys with some shimmy to them, Giroux, B Schenn, Raffl, DelZotto and Striet. Do i include Simmonds... I don't know he's slow on defense.   And that's it, the rest are average to below average skaters, so there's never a way to keep possession of the puck because our guys are always losing foot races, and are easily checked by faster skaters. 

The overtime vs the Islanders was sickening, Couturier and Simmonds MacDud and whoever else were pinned in the d zone for 3 goddamed minutes , the Islanders when they would get checked would push the puck to the open ice to avoid the pressure and won every foot race.  That to me is why we can't watch,and our team is "boring' they cannot compete.

Why does penalty free have to mean "personality" free ?
I do think there is something to that line of thinking.

It shouldn't have to mean that.  But I think in this case, fear of taking a penalty is preventing them from hitting and forcing plays.  "I better not do that or I might get a penalty and then I'll be in trouble (whatever that means on the Flyers)"  It's causing them to be too passive, or at least too tentative.

As for the rest of your post, I can't help but agree.

Here's the kicker, he's right. Except for scratching players, an NHL coach has no real power to force accountability.

I agree to an extent but a system can provide some level of speed which we do not seem to have.   Taking a queue from Andy Reid - it is the coaches job to put them in position to be successful.   A system does exactly that but what I question is the "system" and I really am not sure what Berube is trying to do.  

As a Coach, I can tell my players to skate hard, compete, etc...  in the end a system is needed to achieve the goal of the team.  Are you a run-and-gun team that likes to pinch and push the transition... are you a trap team that likes to slow eveything down in the nuetral zone and then transition to a dump and chase.   In the end it is on the players but I am not really sure what system he is trying to play.   He had nearly a full year and then all of training camp to install his system - whatever that is.

I am not saying this is all on Berube bc we have seen this with various Coaches in the past and for the most part the players are different too.  From a fans standpoint hearing the same thing over and over gets a bit annoying.   Reid for all his faults and annoyances was winning games for the most part of his tenure.

I just dont see Berube being the "brilliant hockey mind" that Homer claimed.   Right now he is nothing more than average - but he has an average Team.   His line juggling might be trying to get something started but he has done this since last year.   Build some lines that can play together more than 2 periods.

What exactly is the personality of this team?   If the players dont fit a system as a Coach you need to tweak the system to ensure you are putting the players in a better position.  

Unbelievable.  I really don't get all the whining here.

Jake is in a points lead race with Sidney Crosby, playing the best of his career and yet this team is boring and unwatchable.  

Giroux is probably leading the league in face - off wins and yet this team is hard to watch.

This team is far more disciplined than any other Flyers team in a long time yet, wow somehow playing the right way is boring.

Our PP has been one of the best all season and yet this is unwatchable.

This team imo has put out an effort just about every game, they have only lost by more than 2 goals twice this season, which says to me they give a decent effort night in and night out.

Berube want the team to play harder, give a 60min effort.  I see nothing wrong with that.

Archived