Did anyone think?

Old School Hockey

@Old School Hockey

I absolutely unequivocally did not think the Wings would be anywhere near the team that they are. No way. I giddily apologize to Kenny Holland with every goal scored.

I think, the way it looks now that the Wings are easily in the mix for the division. What really helps is the cap room saved by Alfie not coming back, we can still look for that elusive right handed shot defenseman later in the year.

Howard and Pavel have to stay healthy. Lets not even talk about losing Z or Kronwall. If that happens, all things are go.

@Old School Hockey

I absolutely unequivocally did not think the Wings would be anywhere near the team that they are. No way. I giddily apologize to Kenny Holland with every goal scored.

I think, the way it looks now that the Wings are easily in the mix for the division. What really helps is the cap room saved by Alfie not coming back, we can still look for that elusive right handed shot defenseman later in the year.

Howard and Pavel have to stay healthy. Lets not even talk about losing Z or Kronwall. If that happens, all things are go.

I think they should get Myers. But I'm not in favor of giving up too much for him.

i did, babcock is a genus on knowing how to put guys in the right positon and not screwing up the chemistry, plus he knows how to put guys accountable for their actions, unlike berube who is a total idiot and babcock would be loved in philly, no offense to redwing fans, im just jealous that us flyer fans wish had a coach just like babcock.

@Old School Hockey

Not this way, and really not much at all. It seems that for the past couple of seasons, we win when our streaky players get hot. Even Pav & Z get on goal scoring streaks, though they usually continue to play pretty well even as playmakers when they aren't scoring.

The other major difference has been the PP. We've consistently had a decent PK, but I t's been YEARS since we had a PP that has played well. It has been average at best. This year, it is suddenly clicking. It may be the speed of the new players, but really a lot of the players are the same ones we've had, but now they are clicking. I called for Renney's departure early last season. Renney's gone now. Of course the PP was AWFUL for the first, what? 10 games? But now it is closing into its own.

What is interesting--and I was already looking at this this morning before I saw the thread--is that on an idividual basis, there are hardly any Red Wings on the leader boards. Z is 24th in scoring. No one has anywhere close to a leading +/-. That lack of a +/- leader really emphasizes how important our special teams have been to this season's performance. Howie is at best on the bottom of the leader board--say around 7th or 8th. But as a TEAM, we are close to the top on the PP, in goals per game, and on the PK.

The truth is that the emergence of the younger players has changed our game. The return of our injured players has created one of the deeper teams in hockey. We have 4 lines that are not only doing their jobs, but are scoring even if that's not their primary role.

One last thing--the continued consistent play of Quincey and the improvement in Bredan Smith's play as compared with last year should not go unrecognized. Let's be honest: this may be a main reason Howie's numbers are better. I don't want to take too much away from him, but when the D plays better in front of you, a goalie WILL look better.

Bottom line, we have seen pretty consistent play from most of our players as compared to last year, and to me, this is why we are above the line now. And no, I would not have thought the progression would be this quick. As long as we stay healthy and play this way with continued consistency, this will be a very interesting season.

I'll be the first to admit I thought this might be the down year we have all been afraid might happen.

With missing out on BIG named UFA's on the cover this looked like a mediocre book.

Now stat healthy and keep it going.

What great situation! Have to send down NHL ready players with options.

@Old School Hockey

Man oh man.....just on the cusp of the NHL are Anthony Mantha, Pulkkinen, Andreas Anthosiou (sp...lol), Dylan Larkin, Bertuzzi's kid...that is 5 legit forward prospects right there....not sure about Bertuzzi, but the other 4 *will* play in the NHL at some point. Not to mention guaranteed locks Xavier Ouellette and Ryan Sproul on defense...those two are locks to make the team eventually, probably next year. When these guys arrive and start to contribute, the Red Wings *real* window for winning the cup starts in earnest.

The only real question that remains is "is Mrazek the goalie of the future?  If he's not, as you can see, the outstanding depth they have prospect wise can pretty well guarantee they can get whoever they want to play net. They could throw a package together that would make other GM's drool....lol.

@jammer2

I LOVE Mrazek. He won a Calder with the Griffins two years ago as one of the youngest goalies to win he Calder Cup in the AHL history. He is cocky, size is an issue, a small tender but cat quick with a bi of Hasek in him. Personally, I think he is one of the top goalie prospects in the A.

I have been studying Athanasiou, first year in Grand Rapids. Wow is he quick, He seems to have bonded with Andy Miele, not a real prospect but a good solid AHL vet who has seemed to have taken him under his wing. Of all the Wings forward prospects, Mantha and Athanasiou are by far the two I am most excited about.

Defensively Sproul is a right handed shot, something the Wings neer seem to have and Oullet is an al around talented player. Overall, Oullet is more developed with his total game but Sproul has a booming point shot that I am drooling to see in Detroit.

I heard an interesting stat about the Wings. Half their team is under 25, half are over 30, and NONE are between 26-29, in other words nobody on the Wings is in their prime. But they have turned the roster over, completely rebuilt with kids beating at the door and are ready for when Pavel and Z stare down the end of the road. Amazing job, I have got to stop ripping on Kenny Holland, he reminds me of the Hockey version of  "Stand" Pat Gillick, paiently building his roster and not making a trade to fix a short term problem at the cost of the future. Holland is doing a great job. Now if he gets the Babs situation figured out......

Archived