Bye bye Berube

King Knut

I was listening to the guys on SiriusXM NHL this morning on the way in and they are convinced that Edmonton and the Flyers are going to be trading partners. They said Philly makes questionable moves and Edmonton accepts questionable players. It's a match made in heaven. 

Could it be possible that there is a move planned with VLC and MDZ being that they are both riding the pine, or am I looking too much into this?

--- I think I just hi-jacked the thread sorry.

Berube stinks and I don't like him. Is that better?

C'mon Bert, stay on point, LOL!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Berube certainly appears in over his head.  If Dan Bylsma was John Stevens with cooler glasses, Craig Berube is Dan Bylsma with personality. Neither are good X's and O's guys.

Firing him now is (to borrow from @radoran) akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

An organization accepting the long odds of them making an impact in the post season is not the same as tanking. Take it from a Pens fan. We know. :ph34r:

Somehow we still manage to keep stadium packed in tough times and have not bankrupted the team.   :ph34r:  ;)

Mmmmm...maybe. Come talk to me when you have had five straight seasons of 20ish wins and 50ish losses. ;)   You guys have absolutely sucked like that once in the last 40 years. In a twisted way, it's been easy to be a Flyers fan.

Mmmmm...maybe. Come talk to me when you have had five straight seasons of 20ish wins and 50ish losses. ;)   You guys have absolutely sucked like that once in the last 40 years. In a twisted way, it's been easy to be a Flyers fan.

As a fan of the flyers I will take that as a good thing :D

Just messing w/ you B21!!

8 years of playing more minutes than anyone not named Timmonen?

I think we got our money's worth.

Right now I can't tell how bad he is, because he's just out of position so much.   People say he's slow, I don't see slow so much as I see out of position.

No one can skate backwards as quickly as a forward can skate forwards, it matters a lot more where you are when that guy gets a pass than how quickly you can catch up to him after he's gotten it.  That's NHL defense... right now Berube has these guys playing pee wee style defense. 

"Where's the puck?  GO GET IT, SKATE SKATE SKATE!  Oh... you couldn't skate faster than a pass?  You skate too slow. You suck."

Yes they got eight years but how many were actually good? I'll say 4 years, the other 4 have been disappointing, frustrating and now he's proving that he flat out stinks.

Sadly the Flyers have been more competitive (though still not winning) in both games that they've been benched.

If we could trade them to make room on the bench for Luke Schenn, that'd be great.

I Kid.  I'd prefer not to trade MDZ, he's the one with the sweetest shortest contract! but whatever if we keep him til the ned of the year we'd probably give him a 9 year 40 million deal. 

Could it be possible that there is a move planned with VLC and MDZ being that they are both riding the pine, or am I looking too much into this?

--- I think I just hi-jacked the thread sorry.

I'm not sure I get either comparison.  Berube is just ruining the Flyers.  Bylsma ruined the game of hockey.

Berube certainly appears in over his head. If Dan Bylsma was John Stevens with cooler glasses, Craig Berube is Dan Bylsma with personality. Neither are good X's and O's guys.

Maybe comparing the Phillies and Flyers is apples/oranges, but when the Phillies actually got good and had their run their for a couple years, hey had an incredible streak of sellouts and tickets were very hard to come by.  Then the sellouts became the Phillies (different "sellout," but couldn't resist) and the team collapsed.    Now, the stadium is maybe 40% filled on any given night that a NYC team isn't playing.

2-3 years of missing the playoffs would do exactly the same to the WFC

It's getting better again.  The league isn't buying it most of the time now and the penguins have stopped winning that way and proving that they're capable of winning without it, but Bylsma's 'strategy' besmirched the game and was shameful to watch. 

Huh???

I feel like it already has.  The Flyers used to be the sellout kings in Philly.  They were the ones who would always sell out and getting a ticket wasn't necessarily easy.  Can't remember when that started to change exactly.  It's been a while now.

I get the point there but I am not so sure it would be to the extent of the Phillies.   Flyers fans are an incredible dedicated bunch as opposed to baseball which has more casual fans that just like a day at the park.

let's hope it never comes to this...

It's getting better again.  The league isn't buying it most of the time now and the penguins have stopped winning that way and proving that they're capable of winning without it, but Bylsma's 'strategy' besmirched the game and was shameful to watch. 

What strategy was that?  The left-wing lock? The 1-3-1? Focus on puck possession? Dump and chase? Do tell.

I still have no idea what you are talking about... sorry.

I am guessing here but you think it was Bylsma's strategy for the Pens players to come unglued?  If that is the case your hatred for the Pens is blinding the reality.

Here's the thing.  I know my hatred of the Pens isn't blinding anything.

In the early 90's I was rooting for those teams.  Not just because the Flyers stunk then, but because I dug mario, I dug Borrasso, I liked those players and those teams.

I hate THESE penguins.  That is true, but I can honestly say that now that the Penguins game plan is changing (and the league started forcing that issue about 2 years ago) They don't bother me quite so much.  The Flyers somehow don't lose to them as much (which is shocking since we can't beat anyone else... like literally ANYONE else) but when the Penguins do beat the Flyers it doesn't annoy me half as much as it did 3 years ago or so.  And it's because the Penguins have been forced to play hockey again, and the nice part is they actually can!  It's nice to see and I think it is better for the players on that team as well as the fans of that team.  I'm actually not incensed by their success any more.  I'm actually good with a better team just winning games by playing better hockey.

I might even go as far as to say that right now, I don't actually even "hate" the penguins.  I can't go as far as to say I respect them yet, but I can say that I'm actually moving in that direction.

I hated the way they played the game under Bylsma.  It was an affront to the game of hockey and an insult to fans everywhere.  Glad it seems to be over.

If that is the case your hatred for the Pens is blinding the reality.

Maybe comparing the Phillies and Flyers is apples/oranges, but when the Phillies actually got good and had their run their for a couple years, hey had an incredible streak of sellouts and tickets were very hard to come by.  Then the sellouts became the Phillies (different "sellout," but couldn't resist) and the team collapsed.    Now, the stadium is maybe 40% filled on any given night that a NYC team isn't playing.

Sixers fit that apples/oranges comparison, too.  I was living in Philly during the better AI years and the place always seemed packed. Now? Not so much.

That being said - I don't think that not selling out during lean years is a reflection of a fan base's loyalty. Now, if a team is doing well and no one is showing up or watching that's a different story.  At the end of the day it costs a lot to go see a hockey game in places like Pittsburgh and Philly. Tickets. Parking. Food and "beverage".  Then there is the traffic getting to and from. In Pittsburgh - with the arena downtown - that makes for a long day if you hang around the office for a few extra hours then head over to the game.

Personally, I'll see maybe 2-3 games each year at CONSOL.  Usually free tickets via work or a Christmas or birthday gift.  I'd rather watch the game (especially winter sports of hockey and football) in the comfort and warmth of my own home in front of 50" of sheet technological joy.  ;) No lines for the bathrooms, either. Beer at cost. Free parking. Better food.

I hated the way they played the game under Bylsma.  It was an affront to the game of hockey and an insult to fans everywhere.  Glad it seems to be over.

Which was what exactly? :blink[1]:

Here's the thing.  I know my hatred of the Pens isn't blinding anything.

In the early 90's I was rooting for those teams.  Not just because the Flyers stunk then, but because I dug mario, I dug Borrasso, I liked those players and those teams.

I hate THESE penguins.  That is true, but I can honestly say that now that the Penguins game plan is changing (and the league started forcing that issue about 2 years ago) They don't bother me quite so much.  The Flyers somehow don't lose to them as much (which is shocking since we can't beat anyone else... like literally ANYONE else) but when the Penguins do beat the Flyers it doesn't annoy me half as much as it did 3 years ago or so.  And it's because the Penguins have been forced to play hockey again, and the nice part is they actually can!  It's nice to see and I think it is better for the players on that team as well as the fans of that team.  I'm actually not incensed by their success any more.  I'm actually good with a better team just winning games by playing better hockey.

I might even go as far as to say that right now, I don't actually even "hate" the penguins.  I can't go as far as to say I respect them yet, but I can say that I'm actually moving in that direction.

please elaborate on how the Pens have been "forced" to change the way they played the game?   I dislike the Pens but this really is making no sense to me...

I feel like it already has. The Flyers used to be the sellout kings in Philly. They were the ones who would always sell out and getting a ticket wasn't necessarily easy. Can't remember when that started to change exactly. It's been a while now.

um, nope... that has and always will belong to the Eagles.

Archived