Shootouts

Old School Hockey

How can this team be so horrible in regards to shootout. Both offensively and goaltending.

It's like they should pull Howard for one of the custodians! Most times the only time it's not a goal is if they miss the net!

And the shooters? Horrible attempts. It's not like the other goalie robs them! They just suck one on one.

How can this team be so horrible in regards to shootout. Both offensively and goaltending.

It's like they should pull Howard for one of the custodians! Most times the only time it's not a goal is if they miss the net!

And the shooters? Horrible attempts. It's not like the other goalie robs them! They just suck one on one.

Maybe we can bring Bertuzzi back JUST for the shootout. There was something about the way Bert went wide and came in slow as could be that just lulled the goalies to sleep. Didn't think much of him, but loved him in the shootout.

I used to think the same thing a long time ago with regards to skilled players and goalies and how they don't always translate to shoot outs.

The answer, I believe, simply lies in the fact that both skaters and goaltenders spend SO much time working on anticipating plays, reading plays, looking for teammates on a rush and just generally executing a TEAM play, that the simple act of going one on one, well, isn't something so simple.

Most team plays on offense are 1) quickly read the defense, 2) look for a streaking teammate, 3) set up a quick scoring opportunity or take a shot.

On defense for goalies, it seems its 1) read the attacking players, 2) see who you have help with on defense, 3) decide quickly who takes the passer who takes the shooter, 4) react.

Seems to me, during a shoot out, for both the goalie and skater, there is TOO MUCH TIME to think!

Crazy as that sounds!

I mean really...what other explanation is there for highly skilled skaters to  look so bad going towards the net with no one in between he and the goalie and vice versa, with very good goaltenders, looking downright foolish on plays where there is just ONE guy they have to focus on?

If there is a better reasoning as to why players suddenly seem to 'downgrade' during a shoot out, I have yet to hear it....it truly is a different animal than the actual game, mentally and physically.

And the main reason most hockey diehards abhor having the shoot out decide a hockey GAME.

On the flip side, because shoot outs are so different from the game, and since shoot outs ARE part of the game and seemingly there to stay, it also means teams SHOULD practice the darn thing!

Have players and goalies go one on one in practices....have skaters during practices imitate some of the tendancies of the opposition for the next game to get their goalies heads in that way of thinking....and also have skaters look at film to see the opposing goaltenders tendancies as they make saves during these 1 on 1's and see what they can pick up.

It's all on film, video, and highlight reels for them.

Coaches and players just have to 'buy in' to the idea of actually practicing for shoot outs just as much as PP's, PK's, and 5 v 5 and 4 v 4 plays.

Like it or not, that's just what teams have to do...otherwise the shoot out will continue to be a total crap shoot for teams.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

A few years ago after Tippett took over the Coyotes he made them work their tails off on the shootout, absolutely the best shootout team in the league for several years, guys like Lauri Korpikoski would drive a dagger in after doing nothing all day. Hell, if memory serves they even had a 100 point season strictly because of the shootout. They won just a ridiculous amount of them, if the game was tied halfway thru the third they started playing as if they were on the penalty kill to get to overtime and eventually the shootout.

I hate the shootout but it is here to stay. Goalies need to practice it, shooters need to work on it instead of bemoaning the aspect of it. In this day of parity, every point counts, ask the Devils who would have been a playoff team last year if they hadn't went Zero for the year in the shootout. This is the most neglected area of the game.

I used to think the same thing a long time ago with regards to skilled players and goalies and how they don't always translate to shoot outs.

The answer, I believe, simply lies in the fact that both skaters and goaltenders spend SO much time working on anticipating plays, reading plays, looking for teammates on a rush and just generally executing a TEAM play, that the simple act of going one on one, well, isn't something so simple.

Most team plays on offense are 1) quickly read the defense, 2) look for a streaking teammate, 3) set up a quick scoring opportunity or take a shot.

On defense for goalies, it seems its 1) read the attacking players, 2) see who you have help with on defense, 3) decide quickly who takes the passer who takes the shooter, 4) react.

Seems to me, during a shoot out, for both the goalie and skater, there is TOO MUCH TIME to think!

Crazy as that sounds!

I mean really...what other explanation is there for highly skilled skaters to  look so bad going towards the net with no one in between he and the goalie and vice versa, with very good goaltenders, looking downright foolish on plays where there is just ONE guy they have to focus on?

If there is a better reasoning as to why players suddenly seem to 'downgrade' during a shoot out, I have yet to hear it....it truly is a different animal than the actual game, mentally and physically.

And the main reason most hockey diehards abhor having the shoot out decide a hockey GAME.

On the flip side, because shoot outs are so different from the game, and since shoot outs ARE part of the game and seemingly there to stay, it also means teams SHOULD practice the darn thing!

Have players and goalies go one on one in practices....have skaters during practices imitate some of the tendancies of the opposition for the next game to get their goalies heads in that way of thinking....and also have skaters look at film to see the opposing goaltenders tendancies as they make saves during these 1 on 1's and see what they can pick up.

It's all on film, video, and highlight reels for them.

Coaches and players just have to 'buy in' to the idea of actually practicing for shoot outs just as much as PP's, PK's, and 5 v 5 and 4 v 4 plays.

Like it or not, that's just what teams have to do...otherwise the shoot out will continue to be a total crap shoot for teams.

Everything you've said here is even more reason to get rid of the skills show! 

Do people go the the game to watch a hockey game or see stupid shoot out?

@TropicalFruitGirl26

A few years ago after Tippett took over the Coyotes he made them work their tails off on the shootout, absolutely the best shootout team in the league for several years, guys like Lauri Korpikoski would drive a dagger in after doing nothing all day. Hell, if memory serves they even had a 100 point season strictly because of the shootout. They won just a ridiculous amount of them, if the game was tied halfway thru the third they started playing as if they were on the penalty kill to get to overtime and eventually the shootout.

I hate the shootout but it is here to stay. Goalies need to practice it, shooters need to work on it instead of bemoaning the aspect of it. In this day of parity, every point counts, ask the Devils who would have been a playoff team last year if they hadn't went Zero for the year in the shootout. This is the most neglected area of the game.

I think (don't quote me) that the Coyotes won 16 games in shoot out while losing a few.  Think about that for a minute.

Say the played 25 shoot out games?  That's 30% of their games were decided via the shoot out.

Everything you've said here is even more reason to get rid of the skills show! 

Do people go the the game to watch a hockey game or see stupid shoot out?

Perhaps, OldSchool, and many echo your sentiment, but my point was, that the shoot out IS HERE to stay from the looks of it, whether we like it or not...whether teams like it or not....and given that, teams simply need to make it part of their preparations.

Or else they will continue to seemingly win and lose them at random.

I am all for extended OT's, revamped point systems that rewards ROW over SOW, or even going back to a tie system...but the fact remains the shoot out isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

So, in that regard, I'd rather then have my teams practice it as much as they practice anything else, become proficient at it, and grab the wins on a more consistent level via the shoot out whenever games come down to that.

Perhaps, OldSchool, and many echo your sentiment, but my point was, that the shoot out IS HERE to stay from the looks of it, whether we like it or not...whether teams like it or not....and given that, teams simply need to make it part of their preparations.

Or else they will continue to seemingly win and lose them at random.

I am all for extended OT's, revamped point systems that rewards ROW over SOW, or even going back to a tie system...but the fact remains the shoot out isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

So, in that regard, I'd rather then have my teams practice it as much as they practice anything else, become proficient at it, and grab the wins on a more consistent level via the shoot out whenever games come down to that.

I don't think you'll see a different point system.  It would kill too many old records.

It blows my mind that the powers that be think the SO is a good thing!  I challenge anyone to tell ME how it's good system?

Here's a question for you?  If having a winner and loser everynight is so important, why don't we have Wins-Losses in standings?  I'll tell you why.  Gary wants to prop up teams with an inflated not real point system.

As I said! Put the fricking janitor in net for the shoot out. Howard is mentally useless in the shoot out.

Under many conditions, I've wondered about putting Mrazek in for the SO. After Howard's play tonight, I think he deserved a shot in foresight.

In hindsight, uhhhh no.

;-)

And speaking of shootouts, anyone want to comment on last night's Panthers-Capitals SO? 20 ROUNDS?! (not a typo) They actually had to start to use players a second time. The SO actually took longer than a period. 22 1/2 minutes! Florida won it.

Trust me, by the end of it, you just wanted it to be OVER! Even the announcers were saying something nicer, but still somewhat similar to, "Somebody please just make this STOP!!"

Do we REALLY not want to reduce the number of these things? Bring on the 4-on-4 followed by the 3-on-3! Even if you still decide to keep the SO after that, they will become much less of a factor. They certainly have in the AHL, where 4-on-4/3-on-3/SO is being tried.

I'm not just saying this because our Wings SUCK at the SO. I'm saying it because SOs suck. If Bettman wants to keep them, fine, but let's at least try to minimize how many we have and try to keep things looking like real hockey! 

Archived