Testing our mettle

SpikeDDS

OK. Now we get to see what Petr Mrazek can really do.

I have NO idea what Jimmy Howard was thinking on that giveaway before the first goal, but what an awful sequence of events there. Who knows how long he will be out, but it's going to be a while I would guess. And so we now get to see how the Red Wings will do Howard-less, which is a shame as he has played some of his best hockey this season, if not his best.

Mike Babcock didn't seems to have too much of a problem with the game last night. I dunno, I think he's trying to stay positive with his comments. To me, this game was gift wrapped and tied with a bow with the giveaways. And it really doesn't matter much who is in goal if you're doing that in front of him.

I'm now interested in seeing two things:

1. How will Petr Mrazek do, and how will the TEAM do in front of Mrazek? He's a VERY different goaltender than Howard, and I think you have to be aware of that and adjust as a D-man. He's gonna come out and challenge, you've gotta be ready to prevent the quick back door. Gotta be tight there. 

2. We've gotta start scoring again. We've tapered down here in the last 10-15 games to a pedestrian level offensively. Though Mrazek has lots of potential, he's gonna make mistakes, and we need to score to make up for them like we did in the Calgary game.

Here's the test. How do we respond?

@SpikeDDS

A rookie netminder with a team that is playing 75 percent of their games over the next six weeks on the road. A bad combo.

I love Mrazek, he is bold and audtious and reminds me of Hasek in so many ways, I frankly have forgotten about Gustafsson who was very good last year. I hope that he can do the job, if confidence and ability can make up for lack of experience he will be fine.

Offensively, calling up Pulkinnen is a big plus, we could still use an offensive d-man. It is hard to believe that Kindl has 7 PPPs this year, and that we miss his offense with him out. Never thought I would say any of that.

we could still use an offensive d-man.

Wish my Flyers could trade you Del Zotto seems he is always in Berube's doghouse anyways....yes he might not exactly be what you had in mind but he can move the puck up ice and his defensive game has improved i think....hard to really notice with all the turds he has to play with but he'd be cheap too.

Wish my Flyers could trade you Del Zotto seems he is always in Berube's doghouse anyways....yes he might not exactly be what you had in mind but he can move the puck up ice and his defensive game has improved i think....hard to really notice with all the turds he has to play with but he'd be cheap too.

Del Zotto was found wanting by Alain Vigneault and Barry Trotz, two fo the best defensive coaches in the game. I was kind of hoping the Wings would give a run at him this year but the more I see him play the more I think he is a puck moving blue liner and a defensive liability. No way no how Babcock would ever give ice time to a guy like that.

Del Zotto was found wanting by Alain Vigneault and Barry Trotz, two fo the best defensive coaches in the game. I was kind of hoping the Wings would give a run at him this year but the more I see him play the more I think he is a puck moving blue liner and a defensive liability. No way no how Babcock would ever give ice time to a guy like that.

Yeah only on the Flyers...........sad when Nick Schultz has been decent enough to already garner extension talks....i think i'm going to be sick typing that....

OK. Now we get to see what Petr Mrazek can really do.

I have NO idea what Jimmy Howard was thinking on that giveaway before the first goal, but what an awful sequence of events there. Who knows how long he will be out, but it's going to be a while I would guess. And so we now get to see how the Red Wings will do Howard-less, which is a shame as he has played some of his best hockey this season, if not his best.

Mike Babcock didn't seems to have too much of a problem with the game last night. I dunno, I think he's trying to stay positive with his comments. To me, this game was gift wrapped and tied with a bow with the giveaways. And it really doesn't matter much who is in goal if you're doing that in front of him.

I'm now interested in seeing two things:

1. How will Petr Mrazek do, and how will the TEAM do in front of Mrazek? He's a VERY different goaltender than Howard, and I think you have to be aware of that and adjust as a D-man. He's gonna come out and challenge, you've gotta be ready to prevent the quick back door. Gotta be tight there. 

2. We've gotta start scoring again. We've tapered down here in the last 10-15 games to a pedestrian level offensively. Though Mrazek has lots of potential, he's gonna make mistakes, and we need to score to make up for them like we did in the Calgary game.

Here's the test. How do we respond?

Mrazek's wins this season come from: Calgary, Buffalo, Carolina, New Jersey and Winnipeg.

His losses were to: Washington, Toronto, New York Islanders

I am not too confident. Wins vs 3 bottom feeders and 2 Wild card spot fighters. 1 game vs a top team was a loss. 2 losses to other wild card teams.

@J0e Th0rnton

Agree 100%. He's a kid. He's a confident kid, and he has shown himself to be able to bounce back after letting a bad goal in. He did it the other night. But doing that is one level. Being able to hold up against a top-tier goaltender and team is another. Being able to steal games is higher yet. He's on Level 1. Good for a kid at his experience level, but he's got a lot to learn, and everyone knows that the best teacher is usually hard experience.

His ability to grow his confidence will be heavily weighed on whether the Red Wings in front of him are able to score and play reasonable defense. We didn't play a very good defensive game last game IMHO.

Grant Fuhr was a great goaltender,  because although he might let in 5, he could suddenly prevent the other team from scoring that 6th goal, allowing the MARVELOUS team in front of him to catch up, because they could score. Right now, he's probably more like Fuhr than he is like Hasek at his prime in his mental abilities. The Wings are going to have to help him, and if they do he will start to really believe in himself and can go up a level or two. If they don't, it can hurt his confidence. He may discover that he's not quite as good as maybe he was thinking he is. Problem is, the Red Wings are NOT the Edmonton Oilers of that era. No one is.

@J0e Th0rnton

Agree 100%. He's a kid. He's a confident kid, and he has shown himself to be able to bounce back after letting a bad goal in. He did it the other night. But doing that is one level. Being able to hold up against a top-tier goaltender and team is another. Being able to steal games is higher yet. He's on Level 1. Good for a kid at his experience level, but he's got a lot to learn, and everyone knows that the best teacher is usually hard experience.

His ability to grow his confidence will be heavily weighed on whether the Red Wings in front of him are able to score and play reasonable defense. We didn't play a very good defensive game last game IMHO.

Grant Fuhr was a great goaltender,  because although he might let in 5, he could suddenly prevent the other team from scoring that 6th goal, allowing the MARVELOUS team in front of him to catch up, because they could score. Right now, he's probably more like Fuhr than he is like Hasek at his prime in his mental abilities. The Wings are going to have to help him, and if they do he will start to really believe in himself and can go up a level or two. If they don't, it can hurt his confidence. He may discover that he's not quite as good as maybe he was thinking he is. Problem is, the Red Wings are NOT the Edmonton Oilers of that era. No one is.

Don't feel too bad. Nashville's backup goalie has 0 wins 3 losses and 2 OT Losses so far this year.

@J0e Th0rnton

Mrazek has a heck of a pedigree. Only 22, at 20 he won the Calder Cup with the Griffins and his NHL record (in limited time) looks like this:

20 games 2.03 Goals Against, save Pct. of .921 and 2 shut outs. He is not just a body called up because of desperation like a Zepp in Philly, Mrazek is one of the absolute top tier goalie prospects in the game today.

But my concern is that he is going to have too much pressure too soon. Mrazek is a cocky arrogant kid who beleves in his own ability, between the ears he is brash and confident, I just hope that the Wings can survive over the nex six weeks, mostly on the road, with a kid in net. Personally, while I think Howard has been our MVP the first half I wouldn't be surprised to see the kid step up his game and make Howard the hockey version of Wally Pipp.

Archived