Has anyone been watching how Washington keeps winning?

yave1964

These aint your Daddy's Washington Capitals.

Oh don't get me wrong, Ovie is still there leading the team with 22 goals, but he has turned it around under Barry Trotz and is playing at both ends of the ice, playing over 20 minutes a night and after last seasons ridiculous minus 35 he is a plus ten and playing sound hockey.

The team is in a dog fight with the Islanders, Penguins and Rangers in what has become a surprisingly competitive division, and the Capitals are 6th in the league in scoring but surprisingly are 5th in the league in lowest goals against.

Braden Holtby has been nothing short of wonderful second in the league in starts with 37 through 43 games and a record of 22-8-7 with a sparkling 2.17 goals against. Niskanen and Orpik were indeed overpaid but they can play defense which along with coach Trotz has turned the boys into a solid club.

To me, the team MVP is John Carlson the 25 year old d-man leads the team in minutes, playing al situations and he has 5 goals and 31 points through 43 games, leads the team with a plus 15. He is among the leagues very best on the penalty kill and sets up Ovie and Backstrom and the rest quarterbacking the PP doing a very nice Duncan Keith impersonation.

Trotz has remade the team in his image without changing the personel, 4 lines that earn ice time by playing responsible in their own zone, or else and a defense that is underrated and a young goalie who has been highly valued that has finally come into his own. Fun team to watch.

@yave1964  I think you answered your own question with that post. IMHO, the 2 biggest factors are 1)Trotz and his system getting the most out of the roster and 2)Holtby growing and evolving as a goalie. I could always see the pure skill of the guy, in fact stubbornly listed him as one of the top 10 goalies when everyone else thought I was crazy....but he has developed consistency with his awesome skill set, and the end result has been a much improved team. Both 1 and 2 kinda intermingle, they both play off each other to enhance the finished product.

@yave1964  I think you answered your own question with that post. IMHO, the 2 biggest factors are 1)Trotz and his system getting the most out of the roster and 2)Holtby growing and evolving as a goalie. I could always see the pure skill of the guy, in fact stubbornly listed him as one of the top 10 goalies when everyone else thought I was crazy....but he has developed consistency with his awesome skill set, and the end result has been a much improved team. Both 1 and 2 kinda intermingle, they both play off each other to enhance the finished product.

You forgot the third reason. Ovechkin.

You forgot the third reason. Ovechkin.

Ovechkin is a force, I gave him a ton of credit for his improved play at both ends of the ice. Last year he looked indifferent at times, this year he is a changed man.

@jammer2 I took Holtby in the draft because like you I believe in the kid, he is technically just so sound, clearing out Halak and the others and just letting him know that the team was his, win or lose, was huge for his confidence. With Rinne now out for a month or so, the kid might even squeeze into Vezina talks.

Ovechkin is a force, I gave him a ton of credit for his improved play at both ends of the ice. Last year he looked indifferent at times, this year he is a changed man.

@jammer2 I took Holtby in the draft because like you I believe in the kid, he is technically just so sound, clearing out Halak and the others and just letting him know that the team was his, win or lose, was huge for his confidence. With Rinne now out for a month or so, the kid might even squeeze into Vezina talks.

I was actually joking. Yes Ovechkin is more responsible now, Yet his production has fallen off. But that can change anytime soon. Hell, you can argue that Backstrom has been the better player this year.

Archived