Mrazek

Old School Hockey

As we watch this guy play in the net it's VERY obvious he's READY.  IMHO he is much better than Howard.  He is for sure a 10000% better puck handler than Howard.  He seems to be a better positional goalie than Howard.

I'm not sure what to do?  But to me this guy is ready to be the man in Detroit.

Thoughts?

I would agree he is a better puck handler than Howard, but then again, a houseplant is a better puck handler than Howard.  I don't see him replacing Howard, but I do see a tandem pair that can be rotated in and out with confidence.  Come playoff time though, Howard would, and should, be the starter.

I would agree he is a better puck handler than Howard, but then again, a houseplant is a better puck handler than Howard.  I don't see him replacing Howard, but I do see a tandem pair that can be rotated in and out with confidence.  Come playoff time though, Howard would, and should, be the starter.

How long do they stick with Howard and 5.4m contract?  I think Howard could and should be traded!  See Mike Vernon.

I agree with @WingNut722 . Howard may be having his best season in net. He's a BIG part of why we are above the line and playing as well as we are. You don't dump that until you KNOW you can replace him and better him.

Mrazek is going to be a VERY good goalie, but he needs refinement. I love his bravado, kinda like Tats that way. But he still has to experience and endure REAL pressure at this level. The playoffs are a different animal entirely. It would be good for an experienced goalie to work with him side-by-side for a bit. I think he would handle the pressure better than the average young goalie would if he is thrust into that position, but that doesn't mean he'll be like a veteran.

Holland is a pretty smart guy. He knows that if Mrazek continues to improve and excel that his coach may have to juggle two goalies. And when the time is right, he will make a move. Don't think it will be this season. That would surprise me, even if Mrazek is lights-out from here on.

Of course, in the off-season, if an elite righty D-man becomes available, and Mrazek has shown that he's the man, he might do it then. I don't see it before that.

I agree with @WingNut722 . Howard may be having his best season in net. He's a BIG part of why we are above the line and playing as well as we are. You don't dump that until you KNOW you can replace him and better him.

Mrazek is going to be a VERY good goalie, but he needs refinement. I love his bravado, kinda like Tats that way. But he still has to experience and endure REAL pressure at this level. The playoffs are a different animal entirely. It would be good for an experienced goalie to work with him side-by-side for a bit. I think he would handle the pressure better than the average young goalie would if he is thrust into that position, but that doesn't mean he'll be like a veteran.

Holland is a pretty smart guy. He knows that if Mrazek continues to improve and excel that his coach may have to juggle two goalies. And when the time is right, he will make a move. Don't think it will be this season. That would surprise me, even if Mrazek is lights-out from here on.

Of course, in the off-season, if an elite righty D-man becomes available, and Mrazek has shown that he's the man, he might do it then. I don't see it before that.

I hear everything you've said.  I just think Mrazek is ready now.  Just a reminder Howard's playoff numbers aren't world beater numbers.  2.53 gaa and .919 save pct.

@WingNut722@Old School Hockey@SpikeDDS

The first half of the season Howard was our MVP, hands down, apologies to Gus and Z and Pavel, but Howard is the reason that through the first half the Wings were near the top.

Mrazek, IMHO is ready right now, he gave up a hideous goal to Steen with under a minute because he overcommitted but other than that he played a whale of a game. I love the kid and feel he is the future of the franchise, I cringed when Howard signed the long term deal. I watch a lot of Griffin games and two years ago Mrazek at 20 years old carried the Griffins to the Calder and looked like a world beater.

Last year I kind of felt he slept through the season, this year he came back in committed and determined to establish himself. Boy has he. I have almost completely forgotten about Jonas Gustafsson who was the best kept secret in Detroit last year.

I think when Howard comes back it will be around 65/35 split with Howard getting roughly 2 of every 3 starts but if Howard stumbles and Mrazek continues to shine, he might close the gap.

Lets hope Mrazek stays healthy, Tom McCollum is an absolute worthless slug in net. He took forever to establish himself at the AHL level, barely and if we need to rely on him we are in big trouble. I read a couple of places that the Wings are thinking of starting him Sunday against the Sabres after Mrazek goes Saturday night against the Predators. I hope not, plenty of time for the kid to rest up over the break.

GO WINGS!!

The first half of the season Howard was our MVP, hands down, apologies to Gus and Z and Pavel, but Howard is the reason that through the first half the Wings were near the top.

Mrazek, IMHO is ready right now, he gave up a hideous goal to Steen with under a minute because he overcommitted but other than that he played a whale of a game. I love the kid and feel he is the future of the franchise, I cringed when Howard signed the long term deal. I watch a lot of Griffin games and two years ago Mrazek at 20 years old carried the Griffins to the Calder and looked like a world beater.

Last year I kind of felt he slept through the season, this year he came back in committed and determined to establish himself. Boy has he. I have almost completely forgotten about Jonas Gustafsson who was the best kept secret in Detroit last year.

I think when Howard comes back it will be around 65/35 split with Howard getting roughly 2 of every 3 starts but if Howard stumbles and Mrazek continues to shine, he might close the gap.

Lets hope Mrazek stays healthy, Tom McCollum is an absolute worthless slug in net. He took forever to establish himself at the AHL level, barely and if we need to rely on him we are in big trouble. I read a couple of places that the Wings are thinking of starting him Sunday against the Sabres after Mrazek goes Saturday night against the Predators. I hope not, plenty of time for the kid to rest up over the break.

GO WINGS!!

I don't think you'll get anyone to argue that Howard has NOT been very good this year.  But we have heard over and over that Mrazek isn't ready yet?

I say he is. 

As I noted:

He's a 10000% puck handler than Howard and that make your defense much better

He's a better positional goalie than Howard

He's not getting 5.6M like Howard

Howard does not have great numbers in the playoffs

Mrazek is ready and IMHO is/will be better than Howard.

@Old School Hockey

I agree, I think his upside is tremendous, I keep carefully comparing him to Hasek with his style, no goalie coach in the world can teach someone to play the way he does, it is pure instinct.

Howard as the incumbent deserves to keep his job based off his play, lets not get too carried away, Mrazek has won two games since Jimmy went out, it isn't like he is 10-0 with a 1.00 Goals against, lol. But as for who loves the kid more, you might have a fight on your hands with me, I think his upside is tremendous.

As I noted:

He's a 10000% puck handler than Howard and that make your defense much better

He's a better positional goalie than Howard

He's not getting 5.6M like Howard

Howard does not have great numbers in the playoffs

Mrazek is ready and IMHO is/will be better than Howard.

Don't forget!  Mrazek is also not a houseplant!   :lol:

GO WINGS!!

BTW, after last night's game, Babs was asked if Mrazek was going today. He didn't hesitate one blink, "Yep!"

Archived