Wild trade for Bergenheim

yave1964

Florida Panthers winger Sean Bergenheim got his wish, he was finally dealt.

1288465263996.jpeg

Bergenheim has been in coach Gerard Gallant's doghouse for much of the year, exchanging a war of words through his agent, calling Gallant out saying the way that he coaches may work in the QMJHL but not the NHL, and finally has been moved.

Bergenheim, who just turned 31 has 8 goals and 18 points in 39 games, having missed some time with injuries and as a healthy scratch as the young Cats are pushing for playing time and Bergenheim has more and more often been the odd man out.

Injuries and inconsistency have followed him around for his entire career, he is a typical third liner depth player who can play either wing and bounce up and down the lines including the fourth line as he is solid defensively. He definitely needed a change of scenery and with the star power in Minnesota he should be able to blend right in without too much being asked of him. For a third, you could have done a lot worse.

It will remain to be seen whether Bergenheim can be a boost to the Minnesota Wild, but I will admit....upon hearing the Wild traded for him and only gave up a 3rd rounder in 2016, I was quite happy.

I've always believed Bergenheim to be an underrated forward. He can play on any teams 3rd line, adding a touch of scoring, agitation, and some solid checking and two way play. If paired with very offensive minded linemates, he can even sub-in as a 2nd line 'digger' for the goal scorers, or pick one up himself if the defense chooses to ignore him.

Bergenheim has only made the post season twice as an NHL'er (with Tampa Bay and Florida), and yes it is a small sample size, but judging by his performances during those appearances, his 'play all out' attitude should translate very well to post season play.

In no way does Sean Bergenheim replace Minnesota's Jason Zucker who was lost for the remainder of the season, but Bergenheim MORE than replaces what a guy like Matt Cooke (also lost for the season) brings to the table...all without the negative baggage.

Looking forward to see what he can bring to the Wild....I assume he will be in uniform and read to go when the Wild face off against the Predators in Smashville tomorrow night.

Archived