Detroit at the trade deadline

Apparently Toronto wanted Manta for Phaneuf....

laughable.

Anthony Mantha for Phaneuf.....that is laughable. Seems to me, they could have set their sights a bit lower and asked for Pulkanin, who would have still been a great get. Holy crap, the Leafs will regret setting their price so high, cause Dion is only gonna get worse...they should have rid themselves of that cap hit real quick.

Apparently Toronto wanted Manta for Phaneuf....

laughable.

Straight up?! HA!

And how much of his salary were the Leafs willing to pick up per year? And I STILL have a problem swallowing it unless--as I said before--if it was a fire sale offer.

Maybe still not worth it, IMHO. Phaneuf is good, but Pav and Z are gonna leave a big hole when they go. Mantha is gonna be one of the guys that fill that hole. Hopefully not before playing with Pav/Z for a few years to learn from the veterans.

@Capsized

Welcome!

Like Spike mentioned there are several good posters in here that are Wings fans, this is a wonderful site, keep posting!!

Wings added a power forward in Cole and a right handed puck moving veteran d-man in Zidlicky, without giving up a roster player. Gotta call it a huge win for the Wings. We are deeper than ever, both are UFA, essentially rentals unless they convince the Wings that they are a great fit, and we have kids in the pipeline who will be coming up next year, but we don't have to rush them now. Great moves by Holland. I have been Uber critical of him in here but i think he had a great deadline. Again, welcome!

You guys are out of your mind critisizing Holland.  I get the frustration but at least you have multiple Cups.  I would like to see your reaction if you had to deal wih Clarke and Holmgren like we did for YEARS. 

You guys are out of your mind critisizing Holland.  I get the frustration but at least you have multiple Cups.  I would like to see your reaction if you had to deal wih Clarke and Holmgren like we did for YEARS.

Holland in later years has slipped, he seems to be slow to react, Zidlicky is the first d-man we have traded for since Lidstrom retired. Really.

And to top it off, two of the top gm's in the game, Jim Nill who built our farm system and Yzerman who was in charge of personel have both moved on and are running their own teams. I would have simply liked Holland to have taken the Gold watch and let one of the young guns take over the Wings and let them have a turn. I respect all that Holland did in his tenure but in a lot of ways the game has moved on. He has, to his credit preached patience and now the Wings are rebuilt/retooled on the fly with all the kids playing huge roles, but they are the kids that Nill brought in and signed. When Nill went to Dallas our top three scouts went with him. Simply a nervous time to be a Wings fan, i et the cups, god were they great but we need new blood at the top.

Holland in later years has slipped, he seems to be slow to react, Zidlicky is the first d-man we have traded for since Lidstrom retired. Really.

And to top it off, two of the top gm's in the game, Jim Nill who built our farm system and Yzerman who was in charge of personel have both moved on and are running their own teams. I would have simply liked Holland to have taken the Gold watch and let one of the young guns take over the Wings and let them have a turn. I respect all that Holland did in his tenure but in a lot of ways the game has moved on. He has, to his credit preached patience and now the Wings are rebuilt/retooled on the fly with all the kids playing huge roles, but they are the kids that Nill brought in and signed. When Nill went to Dallas our top three scouts went with him. Simply a nervous time to be a Wings fan, i et the cups, god were they great but we need new blood at the top.

Holland built the staff and the system in place. It is to his credit that the Wings continue to plug in new people and still maintain excellence. Yzerman was a great player but he doesn't belong in the same conversation with Holland as a GM. He hasn't won anything yet. It's like comparing Dave Lewis to Scotty Bowman. I am far more comfortable with Holland. Especially when you consider how good the team has emerged and how quickly. I would bet 25 teams in the league would fire their GM today just to have a shot at Holland. Maybe more. We were in the final 6 years ago and have flipped over half our roster while never missing the playoffs. Now we are a legit contender. I would say a favorite. Holland is a genius who really has performed beyond criticism imo.

@yave1964

I'm torn on this, because when Suter and Parise were available, KH DID go after them. He made Suter a very generous offer, but he didn't have the resources available that Minnesota did, nor did Detroit have the family advantage. But as a result of his "failure", he has set up this franchise for another run for the next few years at greatness. How much of this was accidental, and how much of it was foresight is the unknown. Once those guys bailed, was he resigned to settling with Q, or did he see his development into a solid D-man coming? As much as you and I were complaining about a lack of size in front of the net and of a solid top-4 D man the previous two seasons, it appears we are in relatively good shape. He made the best of what looked like a bad situation, I would still argue other than the Legwand deal. He gave in to fan pressure there, and perhaps to his own ego, trying to keep the streak going. (I mean, come on! Is there REALLY any shame in having ONE season where you don't make the playoffs, but it enables you to begin another solid streak for years to come the following season? No, not really.)

What I think is really interesting is that although you say the game has passed him by, there was no team in the NHL who was more affected by the cap than the Detroit Red Wings. KH OBVIOUSLY has had to change how the franchise did things to adapt. And somehow, he was able to captain the ship without it even sinking even just to the level of 9th in the conference, while retooling it for greatness like it is now. We are SERIOUSLY very close to legit Cup contender if not there already with the new rentals. In short, there was no GM who had to change MORE than KH did, and now we are seeing the results of his decisions. You can credit Jim Nill for some of that, but ultimately, it's still KH's ship, and he has to get the credit for letting the people he had under him do their jobs and listening to them.

I've been critical of KH. I admit that he has ultimately proved that his patience has paid off. Hard to argue with success, yave.

That said, your point about the scouting may be valid, but only time will tell.

Archived