Detroit at the trade deadline

"Just wasn't a fit"

"We're happy with what we have"

"Getting him back for the push is like making a big trade"

So sick of it.

After swinging and missing in free agency for the past several years, Holland said before the season started that if Pavel and Z were healthy and if the kids stepped up and if Howard bounced back he would spend at the deadline.

Now he is saying the opposite.

I am sick of it. Holland needs to add a piece to the defense and with the injuries at forward we need to at least consider the possibility of adding a forward.

That said, all the players moved pre deadline have been overpayment. I love Yandle, would love to have him. My initial reaction was WTF, why didn't Holland get him, but I looked at the payoff:

Duclair is a top offensive prospect we would have had to have given Pulkinnen

Moore is a defensive d-man who can hit a bit, the equivalent of Brendan Smith

A first and other picks possibly another first as well.

No way no how do i give up Pulkinnen, Smith and a couple of firsts. No way. I love Yandle and would have loved him to be a Wing, but no freaking way.

So essentially the Hawks overpaid for Vermette, Slats overpaid for Yandle, the Capitals WAAAYYYY overpaid for Glencross, if teams are overpaying the Wings would have to as well. So holding off and seeing how it shakes out might be the best thing, as frustrating as it might be as a fan.

So sick of it.After swinging and missing in free agency for the past several years, Holland said before the season started that if Pavel and Z were healthy and if the kids stepped up and if Howard bounced back he would spend at the deadline.Now he is saying the opposite.I am sick of it. Holland needs to add a piece to the defense and with the injuries at forward we need to at least consider the possibility of adding a forward.That said, all the players moved pre deadline have been overpayment. I love Yandle, would love to have him. My initial reaction was WTF, why didn't Holland get him, but I looked at the payoff:Duclair is a top offensive prospect we would have had to have given PulkinnenMoore is a defensive d-man who can hit a bit, the equivalent of Brendan SmithA first and other picks possibly another first as well.No way no how do i give up Pulkinnen, Smith and a couple of firsts. No way. I love Yandle and would have loved him to be a Wing, but no freaking way.So essentially the Hawks overpaid for Vermette, Slats overpaid for Yandle, the Capitals WAAAYYYY overpaid for Glencross, if teams are overpaying the Wings would have to as well. So holding off and seeing how it shakes out might be the best thing, as frustrating as it might be as a fan.

It's not just about this year. Holland has done NOTHING to make the team better in years. He's F-ing lucky his scouting staff has nailed it on a few guys. This team is about two-three failed prospects away from a lottery team!

Aaron Ward        ✔ @TSNAaronWard

Dallas Stars trade Erik Cole to the Detroit Red Wings pending trade call.

Cool, just saw that, good move. A couple of middling prospects going the other way and a second rounder for Cole and a conditional third. Good deal.

A couple of middling prospects going the other way and a second rounder for Cole and a conditional third.

Yeah the two guys you gave up were questionable to lack the toughness the NHL requires from the scouting reports i read.

Cool, just saw that, good move. A couple of middling prospects going the other way and a second rounder for Cole and a conditional third. Good deal.

I'm ok with it. But he doesn't play defense and who's not playing because Cole is?

@Old School Hockey

Lighten up. Making a move for making a move's sake is stupid. What a move costs and the timing of the move both matter. I was actually ANGRY that KH gave up Jarnkrok for David Legwand just to extend the streak. Everyone sane KNEW the DRWs had ZERO chance of winning the Cup last year. He did it simply to try to extend the streak. We got exactly what we ordered, but now Jarnkrok is contributing to the best team in the league right now.

Hmmm. I think that perhaps KH's worst move since the Franzen-Hossa decision was MAKING a move, not NOT making a move.

Making a big move where you are forced to overpay to get somebody doesn't make sense. Look where Minnesota is now after buying both Suter and Parise, and look where we are now. Who was smarter? I say Holland was. This right after saying the Legwand move was caving to pressure rather than doing what's best for the franchise.

If there was a really good player who would likely make the difference between Cup or no Cup this year, I'd say maybe jump, but there really wasn't anyone I would say qualifies, especially if you then factor in what it would have cost us making sense. We're not giving up Nyquist or Tatar. We're not giving up Larkin or Mantha. So who can you get with what's left without breaking down the team you've got and coming out weaker than you were before a deal?

Yes, I'd like a righty D. But no, I don't want the Wings to sell the store to get one guy. I'd rather see a little patience followed by several years of cup-competitive hockey and maybe a Cup or two.

I think the Cole deal is a good one. The cost was right. Cole should fit in well and provide a needed role going into the SCPs. LA & Nashville ran us pretty good these past couple of games here. The SCPs will be similar. We needed more size to withstand and respond in those kinds of games.

Good deal.

Just read that Darren Helm's upper body injury is NOT a head injury or concussion issue. He is getting an MRI. Nothing more was said. There was no comment about this potentially being a recurrence of his back issues, but I don't think that's the issue. That's not what I'm smelling anyway.

Just thought I'd post an update, since it may be relevant to the reason for the Cole deal.

@Old School Hockey@SpikeDDS

I like the deal. Oldschool, I dont know where you get that he does not play defense, Cole has 116 hits on the year and is a plus four on a Dallas team that is simply awful defenselessly. The 116 hits places him second behind only Abdelkader (125 hits) on the Wings.

Dont get me wrong, he is a a relatively inconsistent big power forward who can disappear for long stretches, but he is a big body, immobile inn front of the net who hits and plays hard. His work ethic is unquestioned. Think Bertuzzi when the Wings first got him, past his prime but still something to offer. I just hope we are not done, I hope we can net a d-man but my God looking at what the Rangers paid for Yandle and for the return the Flyers just got for Coburn if we dont, well, we dont. No way do i overpay like that if I am the Wings, the Flyers parlayed Coburn into a first and a third and Gudas who has been out for much of the year but is a plain nasty d-man. No way do i want the Wings to pay like the Lightning did. No way in hell.

@Old School Hockey@SpikeDDS

I like the deal. Oldschool, I dont know where you get that he does not play defense, Cole has 116 hits on the year and is a plus four on a Dallas team that is simply awful defenselessly. The 116 hits places him second behind only Abdelkader (125 hits) on the Wings.

Dont get me wrong, he is a a relatively inconsistent big power forward who can disappear for long stretches, but he is a big body, immobile inn front of the net who hits and plays hard. His work ethic is unquestioned. Think Bertuzzi when the Wings first got him, past his prime but still something to offer. I just hope we are not done, I hope we can net a d-man but my God looking at what the Rangers paid for Yandle and for the return the Flyers just got for Coburn if we dont, well, we dont. No way do i overpay like that if I am the Wings, the Flyers parlayed Coburn into a first and a third and Gudas who has been out for much of the year but is a plain nasty d-man. No way do i want the Wings to pay like the Lightning did. No way in hell.

My point was just that. Cole is not a right handed defenseman. Nothing more nothing less.

Hello everyone, I am new here and this is my first post. 

I am happy with the team as constructed. I wouldn't have minded if Holland did nothing at the deadline. However I think the Cole deal was a good one. We need playoff experience more than anything and Cole brings a bit of grit with his experience.

Hello everyone, I am new here and this is my first post. 

I am happy with the team as constructed. I wouldn't have minded if Holland did nothing at the deadline. However I think the Cole deal was a good one. We need playoff experience more than anything and Cole brings a bit of grit with his experience.

Welcome Capsized.

A great day to join in the conversation,

I don't really see Holland making any major deals deals either as this team is doing well while at the same time they are rebuilding.  There is depth with the Griffins.

@Capsized

Let me be the first--dang it, I see someone else just posted, OK the second--to welcome you to FlyerForums.net. ;-P

No, seriously, this is a good forum, and getting another Red Wing voice on here is always welcomed. You'll find good hockey minds here, many of which are not Red Wing fans. It's my favorite forum for discussing hockey, and I think some of our Red Wing contributors are some of the more thoughtful and knowledgeable about the game.

Don't be quiet. Represent well!

Welcome Capsized.

A great day to join in the conversation,

I don't really see Holland making any major deals deals either as this team is doing well while at the same time they are rebuilding.  There is depth with the Griffins.

Especially with the market like it is. Really, I think the market for major players has been ridiculous since Weber re-upped with Nashville. For a few years after the lockout, things were a little more reasonable. The game wasn't to big for is britches. The game isn't big enough for all these players to be getting paid what they are. As the game grows, I am ALL for players getting more. But right now, the price for most players is getting out of hand--with few exceptions--and the teams who are growing their players from within are at a definite advantage in general.

I'm not really impressed with who is available right now, anyway, but once you factor in the cost, my answer is to hold pat. I think Holland won't make any big moves. Cole was a good one, because he wasn't so big that the cost got extreme. Smart.

@Capsized

Welcome Capsized!

I second what @SpikeDDS said about the quality of the discussions here in the forum, himself included!  I think you'll like it here, just don't be afraid to voice your opinion.  We get disagreements in here but it's a healthy attitude and no one ever gets angry about it!  Hell, I'm wrong way more often than I'm right, but I appreciate the other folks in here helping me see the light.

I'm not really impressed with who is available right now, anyway, but once you factor in the cost, my answer is to hold pat. I think Holland won't make any big moves. Cole was a good one, because he wasn't so big that the cost got extreme. Smart

Rumors out there that Holland is talking to the Leafs on Phaneuf.  ---   just say no!!!!    This has to be wishful thinking more than anything.  

Rumors out there that Holland is talking to the Leafs on Phaneuf.  ---   just say no!!!!    This has to be wishful thinking more than anything.  

No. No! NO!

Did I mention, NO?

ONLY if the deal is a fire sale, but with his new contract, it won't be. Leafs made a blunder with that contract, IMHO.

Surprised Holland picked up Zids but it just makes us deeper. Could our PP be even better? 

I expected Holland to go with a rental if anything and I am happy with the moves. This team had a shot before today IMO. Personally I think it is remarkable that they have returned to contention so quickly with this version of "rebuild on the fly". 

I really like the Zidlicky pick up. In New Jersey, he played in a tight checking system, but the Devils lack of talent pretty well made sure Zids was playing in his own to much. He will have a much better crew surrounding him...better puck support and quicker zone outlets...the Wings forwards, who receive the first pass out of their zone are elite at corralling the puck and turning it up ice...New Jersey, not so much. He could very well play on the top pp....not a lot of people will talk about this deal, but very sneaky under the radar great move.

Surprised Holland picked up Zids but it just makes us deeper. Could our PP be even better? 

I expected Holland to go with a rental if anything and I am happy with the moves. This team had a shot before today IMO. Personally I think it is remarkable that they have returned to contention so quickly with this version of "rebuild on the fly". 

Yes, the power play can defnintely be better.  There's always room for improvement.  Having a right-handed shot makes Zid an automatic for the first PP unit, same way Rafalski was in years past.  Cole as well can be expect to be in front of the net, digging for rebounds.  Expect Mike Babcock and Tony Granato to make immediate use of their new toys!  

Yes, the power play can defnintely be better.  There's always room for improvement.  Having a right-handed shot makes Zid an automatic for the first PP unit, same way Rafalski was in years past.  Cole as well can be expect to be in front of the net, digging for rebounds.  Expect Mike Babcock and Tony Granato to make immediate use of their new toys!  

I could see if we were running 2 point men but I don't see Zids taking Kronner off the 1st unit. When you only have one guy along the blueline being a righty will make little difference. That is why I am surprised Holland made the deal. I think Zids will make us better 5 on 5 but I don't see him making a huge impact on the PP.

Archived