How long do you allow for deadline adjustment?

SpikeDDS

OK, maybe I'm a bit quick on the trigger, but I haven't seen us play a good hockey game yet since the new acquisitions and our return home, and going back on the road to Boston didn't help.

I was glad to see Babs tinker with the lines, and I think I liked Glendening with Pav. He did score a goal, but it was a shot that an average NHL goaltender would have stopped. Certainly Rask would have stopped that one.

You've got to give them some time, but you can't give them TOO much time or you start playing with dropping below the line, and you don't want to do that either.

Gustavson was not good today, from what I saw (missed the 1st).

Weiss looked lost today. Bad day at the office for him for sure. We all have them. If his upside was bigger, you could let it slide, but it's not.

I still think I like Nike with Z and Cole or Nike with Z and Abby better than Abby-Z-Cole. As much as Glendening was better than Jurco with Pav, I think Cole would be better yet playing the front of the net. That, or letting Abby play with Pav (Pav said he liked playing with Abby), and let Cole use his size and retrieve for Z & Nike. Nike was just about the only steady offensive player today other than Pav/Z, and they didn't have their best games either.

I'm starting to wonder about Howard /Gustavsson for the playoffs, because they are now BOTH up and down; on, then off. I'm starting to agree with @Old School about our goaltending situation. Mrazek had a couple of down games too, but not as many.

Hmmmm. The clock's ticking and the Bruins are now in our rearview mirror below the line, looking to catch us. Can't be playing like this for too long or it gets WAY too interesting for my tastes.

I was thinking the same about the teams I follow @SpikeDDS

The way I see it, yea, you do have to allow for some adjustment time, and in my estimation, I would say no more than about 4 or 5 games tops if the player acquired is a regular, maybe a game or two more if the player acquired is a depth player due to not having the same amount of ice time.

Also, what may come into play would be style.

Meaning, if your team acquires a player whose former team has a very differing style than the one he ended up on, then you may want to add an extra game or two to the adjustment time based on that.

Obviously, stuff will be worked on during practices and ultimately if falls on the player to do everything he can to fit in.

Usually, if a team acquires a player, its because the GM and coaching staff feel that player CAN fit in, so no exorbitant amount of time should need to be given.

Bottom line 4-5 games for a regular/top six type player, add a game or two for a depth player.

Goalies should fit in quicker than the other positions (see the puck, stop the puck, not much variance to that, except for the quality of the scoring chance given up by the team in front).

My take anyways.

I wouldn't say it has zero to do with the new players, but I DO think it has to do with the TEAM adjusting to the new players more than the new players adjusting to the team, @Old School Hockey. They have not adjusted well, and you have correctly pointed at special teams as one of the major issues. Grant's gotta get the boys firing on all cylinders again, especially the PK. It has been basically pedestrian, and not just since the new players have been added. It was trending down well before that. 

Why the goaltending has suddenly dropped off is a mystery, and it's really inexcusable. Can't use the addition of the new players as an excuse there.

I'll say this, Nike seems to be the first second-tier (Pav & Z being the first tier) Wing to wake up from this mental slumber and start playing. He was back to firing pucks at the net and was rewarded with one, which is good. I think Babs putting him on the 3rd line may have put the boot in his behind and woke him up. Nice that he could "blame" that move on the addition of Cole instead of "punishment," but the result is the same--Nike woke up. Hopefully he continues to play like that and force Mike to move him back up to the top 6. OR wouldn't it be fabulous to have a top 9 who are all top-6 worthy, eh?

Finally, we've got to get Darren Helm back in the game. This team plays so much better with him skating than without him. He has become a key element to our offensive threat and forces defenses to have tomato choices they don't want to make--picking the lesser of two evils. He's what can make defenses have to look at us like a top-9 offense instead of a top-6, 3 lines instead of two. It is going to be very interesting to see how Babs shuffles the lines when he is available. However he does it, its gonna be an improvement. Get well Helmer! We need ya!

No surprise that I've been a big fan of Weiss for a while now.  As you say, @SpikeDDS. he had a bad day at the office.  Nothing more, but I wouldn't discount him too much.  I've liked his play and he has produced reasonably well this season (not $5MM worth, but he's trying).  As for our acquisitions, they've both been fine  It's the regulars that are having issues, and it's not like they've never played in those particular combinations before.  So I think we're just seeing a team-wide flap that just happens to be occurring after the trade deadline, and not the effect of the newcomers.  

The Wings have looked off in the last three games, and allowed 10 goals in the last two.  But look at it this way, this is the first time this season they have lost two consecutive games in regulation all season, and are the last team in the league to do that.  These details will be forgotten, particularly after the Edmonton game tonight.  

Gus is out with an undisclosed injury, so Mrazek has taken the trip down I-96 once again.  I would bet now that Gus will be released after this season and Mrazek taking the full-time backup job.  I wonder if Howard will start in net against the Oilers or will it be Petr?  

Sparky Anderson analogy time. "Teams are going win 50 they should have lost and teams are going to lose 50 games they should have won. Now the good ones do something with other 62!"

Time to prove we can win those 62 (figure of speech)!!!!

Sparky Anderson analogy time. "Teams are going win 50 they should have lost and teams are going to lose 50 games they should have won. Now the good ones do something with other 62!"

Time to prove we can win those 62 (figure of speech)!!!!

Nice!

Archived