Hypothetical, Howard and Mrazek

yave1964

Since Jimmy Howard has come back from his latest injury he has been average at best. Since his first start coming back from injury on February 14th, Jimmy has had 11 starts with a record of 4-4-2 with a rotten 3.22 goals against after his 7 goal obscenity Saturday against the Flyers.

Petr Mrazek in his last 15 starts including his 42 save victory over the Penguins on Sunday is 12-3 giving up 1 goal or less in 6 starts.

Sooooooo here is the question.

If Jimmy Howard continues to be the very definition of an average goalie, do you sit him come April and put Mrazek in the playoffs?

I was saying in the offseason that trading Howard and giving Mrazek the nod was not necessarily a bad move, the kid is brash and talented, giving him the nod at the beginning of the year would not have been a bad move.

Now, as much as I love Mrazek (and I do) I think for better or worse Howard has to be the man. I think it would tear the team apart to start the kid and sit the veteran. Howard has not been THAT bad, and the hope has to be that he gets it together.

He will have a short leash in the postseason. Lets say we are playing Tampa, (likely) and Stamkos and Company win game 1 something like 6-3. Do you stick with Howard? At that point, no way. To me he gets one bad game and then Mrazek comes in. http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mX8gdv4nRHuMcpdL45Qw6OA.jpg

And as for next year, I would trade Howard for whatever I could get. Yes I know he is homegrown, but youth must be served. My sincere hope is that I can wish Howard well playing in Edmonton or San Jose next year and that Mrazek is in net with maybe even the Monster as his backup.

Interesting times ahead.

Since Jimmy Howard has come back from his latest injury he has been average at best. Since his first start coming back from injury on February 14th, Jimmy has had 11 starts with a record of 4-4-2 with a rotten 3.22 goals against after his 7 goal obscenity Saturday against the Flyers.Petr Mrazek in his last 15 starts including his 42 save victory over the Penguins on Sunday is 12-3 giving up 1 goal or less in 6 starts.Sooooooo here is the question.If Jimmy Howard continues to be the very definition of an average goalie, do you sit him come April and put Mrazek in the playoffs?I was saying in the offseason that trading Howard and giving Mrazek the nod was not necessarily a bad move, the kid is brash and talented, giving him the nod at the beginning of the year would not have been a bad move.Now, as much as I love Mrazek (and I do) I think for better or worse Howard has to be the man. I think it would tear the team apart to start the kid and sit the veteran. Howard has not been THAT bad, and the hope has to be that he gets it together.He will have a short leash in the postseason. Lets say we are playing Tampa, (likely) and Stamkos and Company win game 1 something like 6-3. Do you stick with Howard? At that point, no way. To me he gets one bad game and then Mrazek comes in. http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mX8gdv4nRHuMcpdL45Qw6OA.jpgAnd as for next year, I would trade Howard for whatever I could get. Yes I know he is homegrown, but youth must be served. My sincere hope is that I can wish Howard well playing in Edmonton or San Jose next year and that Mrazek is in net with maybe even the Monster as his backup.Interesting times ahead.

As you well know I've been watching this team for a LONG time. Howard is a good backup goalie. He has no business in the NHL as starting goalie!!!!

He's a head case that requires too much pampering to be average.

Problem is he's almost untradable!!!!

He's modern day Lagace/Chevledae.

Sorry supporters!

I have to agree with @Old School Hockey, Howard just seems to fragile.  He can't shake off a lousy game quickly enough.  

That said, I would love to have Mrazek as the starter, but realistically the best we can hope for is a goaltender battle the way Toronto had last year with Reimer and Bernier both playing (and playing well) for the top spot.  And yes I'm talking last year only when they both actually played well.

What I think will happen is probably very close to reality, Howard starts the playoffs BUT has a very short leash....even a win where he looks shakey could lead to a Mrazek start and thus a playoff run for him.

I like the idea. I think we've gotta play Petr more than just a little to make sure he's as ready as he can be. The good news for that is we have no more 2-day rests between now and the end of the regular season, which should be excuse enough to get him in there a few times.

What I am wondering is if Gustavsson's "head injury" isn't so much concussion-like as declining-backup-goalie-like, and if we are just milking that to give Petr more opportunity. Not that we would EVER really do that.... ;)

Wonder how long we can pull that off, eh? Would you waive Gustavsson if you had to, or send Petr back down? Gustavsson's gone anyway after this season. Hmm.

Wonder how long we can pull that off, eh? Would you waive Gustavsson if you had to, or send Petr back down? Gustavsson's gone anyway after this season. Hmm.

I would think Holland would keep the status quo, very easy to say a concussion has not cleared up to their liking....and like you said, Gus is gone at the end of the year, barring an unforseen injury in the playoffs.....Gus has effectively played his last game as a Wing.

I wonder how all this shakes out for next year....Howard is signed for what....2 or 3 more years....not a huge cap hit...for a starter, but much to much for a back up.....Hollands extreme loyalty has once again reared it's ugly head and put the team in an awkward spot.

Archived