WT(actual)F are the Flyers doing with Mason

Bakanekimiwa

I'm down for showing Berube the door but am opposed to moving Mason they finally have a playoff Cup worthy goaltender no way do i want to start back over.

Trading Mason would be almost as idiotic as trading Bob. In fact, it would be more idiotic because at least there was a legitimate - and equally idiotic - reason to trade Bob.

And I don't believe for one second that Hextall - a goalie himself - is an idiot.

:)

God i hope not............we all need (yes us fans too need a fresh start it may rejuvenate the fan base) start and a new direction to head. This would be the best place to start....removing Berube.

I was being facetious haha. I don't think there's any chance Berube survives the animosity he's created. As a fan watching things unfold, my horror with Berube is not as much with the results on the ice, as it is his personnel choices and lack of any sort of clue when talking about what the team is supposed to do.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gut feeling says Hextall fires Berube and then moves Mason. I hate the idea of moving Mason, but you can bet that the Flyers organization will call Mason a distraction and that his actions weren't in the best interest of the team. This whole madness didn't need to happen and I'm extremely disappointed that's it created a division in the locker room.

the madness of Reese quitting you mean? I haven't followed the team very closely this year; why would the Flyers think Mason is a distraction?

One good reason to trade Mason - the only one I can think of - is if Hextall and Co. don't think he'll hold up physically. Apparently Jeff Reese thought Mason's injuries needed more recovery time; maybe since then (or even before) Mason's health has become a real concern, that he won't ever heal completely.

It would be just like the Flyers to take their first franchise goalie since Bernie and run into the ground then kick what's left of him to the curb.

You can just add this to the grocery list of issues Berube has going for him right now.

Hextall isn't a moron. He wont trade away the best goalie this team has had in decades because of a petty, incompetent coach.

Berube has 9 games left as a Flyers coach (and probably his NHL coaching career). I look forward to the years Mason has ahead of him in this organization.

the madness of Reese quitting you mean? I haven't followed the team very closely this year; why would the Flyers think Mason is a distraction?

One good reason to trade Mason - the only one I can think of - is if Hextall and Co. don't think he'll hold up physically. Apparently Jeff Reese thought Mason's injuries needed more recovery time; maybe since then (or even before) Mason's health has become a real concern, that he won't ever heal completely.

It would be just like the Flyers to take their first franchise goalie since Bernie and run into the ground then kick what's left of him to the curb.

By madness, I mean the entire situation surrounding Mason and Berube. Hextall defintiely bears some responsibility for this because he could have easily nipped this in the bud by meeting with the two of them behind closed doors, let them air out their grievances, work out a solution and then let them be on their way. Instead, the way that this situation has played out, it's been detrimental to the team.

My hope is that Hextall sees the situation for what it is - Berube being in over his head as head coach and losing the locker room while Mason is the most apparent player that Berube has lost. I know Mason is well liked within the locker room, so I'm feeling pretty certain that he won't get moved. However, we also can't ignore Mason's history of being a difficult person to coach (his days in Columbus).

Like I said, Hextall has let the situation come to play out the way it has. At the same time, I'm wondering if maybe that's what Hextall wanted so that when it comes time to dismiss Berube. Hextall can point to this incident and show that clearly Berube has been out of touch with things and that the Toronto game was an example of Berube trying to save his career by utilizing a player who was clearly promised he wouldn't play unless a significant injury occurred and Berube broke his word.

Archived