Phil Kessel - Where do you see him going?

Well, on the bright side, there is a contract due with the NHLPA before Phil's contract is done, that usually means months of no hockey and a get out free jail card....

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, on the bright side, there is a contract due with the NHLPA before Phil's contract is done, that usually means months of no hockey and a get out free jail card....

As I said before... If Philly can trade Pronger....

Great deal for the Penguins IMO. 

Not so great for the Leafs. Sure they got a couple good prospects, but the retention and the conditional pick (with you guys likely getting your second back) is a little ugly.

Still, I like both the guys that the Leafs got, and Spaling is a decent third liner (probably 2nd liner on this crap team right now :( ).

I think Phil will tear it up in Pittsburgh.

A lot of people think that the Leafs are suffering from lack of experience in management right now, but I think it just shows they were desperate to turn the page on Phil and that the offers for Phil were even worse than I feared.

Does make me wonder, though: if this is what they got for Kessel, I wonder what atrocity would take place if they decide to move Phaneuf?  :blink[1]:

One final note: anyone else think that right now is the prime time for JVR to be traded as well? I mean his value is probably pretty high, and playing without Kessel will most likely hurt that value. He's not particularly old and so could stick around for the long haul, but I mean the team already looks to be nose diving (if one can nose dive from 4th last).

A lot of people think that the Leafs are suffering from lack of experience in management right now, but I think it just shows they were desperate to turn the page on Phil and that the offers for Phil were even worse than I feared.

I think this was probably a case where Kessel demanded to be traded (behind closed doors but dating back to pre-trade deadline in 2015) and where management knew they had to get rid of this guy because he was a cancer in the locker room, not a leader on the ice, and absolutely terrible/unlikeable with the Toronto media.

I think this was probably a case where Kessel demanded to be traded (behind closed doors but dating back to pre-trade deadline in 2015) and where management knew they had to get rid of this guy because he was a cancer in the locker room, not a leader on the ice, and absolutely terrible/unlikeable with the Toronto media.

Where can I read about his negativity in the locker room? I find Wilson's comments that are more about on ice laziness. I can't find any teammates torching him. Media opinionsean nothing. I want someone who knows.

Where can I read about his negativity in the locker room? I find Wilson's comments that are more about on ice laziness. I can't find any teammates torching him. Media opinionsean nothing. I want someone who knows.

Fair enough. I would say that the attitude he presented to the media will have carried over into the dressing room. He genuinely seemed like he didn't care during his time here, and I don't think he made anyone else around him better.

To me, Kessel is one of those complimentary players that can thrive in a positive environment if other people do the heavy lifting.  :)

To me, Kessel is one of those complimentary players that can thrive in a positive environment if other people do the heavy lifting. :)

And THAT is exactly what we're hoping for. He has a chance at a big restart with the best centers he could ever hope to play with. My fingers are crossed...

I still say this trade was a win-win. Phil will score 40 goals in a bad year playing on Sid's wing.

The Leafs got rid of a guy who had become a poison and got back futures (both picks and players) and, made a statement to their fans at the same time. 

I wish him well whenever the Pens are not playing the Leafs. :P

Archived