Bleed me Winnipeg Jets year in review

yave1964

391132150057_1.jpg Preseason expectations: The Jets were considered an outsider for a playoff spot in the rugged Western conference.

FINAL RECORD:  43-26-13 99 POINTS 7th in the Western conference, first playoff appearance since the franchise went to Winnipeg.

HIGH POINT OF THE SEASON: Going 4-0-1, with wins against playoff teams (Calgary, Vancouver, the Wild and Blues) including two brilliant shutouts by Pavelec to clinch the first playoff spot since Manitoba reclaimed an NHL franchise.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR: A six game losing streak from January 27th thru February 6th had them slip nearly out of the race before they righted the ship.

I don not consider the sweep by the Ducks as a low point, the Jets worked their tails off to get as far as they did and have zero to hold their head down over.

WHAT WENT RIGHT: Trading Kane for Myers and Stafford and picks and a prospect was a major coup. Hutchinson was a breath of fresh air and pushedm86CX9IDqMV9va0_KFN4Ptw.jpg Pavelec, the two were a solid tandem. Blake

Wheeler led the way with 26 goals. Ladd led with 62 points and Little was brilliant when healthy. Scheifele established himself as a premier second line center with more upside. Big Buff was a power play God. The team overcame injuries to nearly their entire defense early in the year and came through with Buff, Myers, Trouba and Enstrom as one fo the leagues best foursomes. Drew Stafford was a perfect fit after coming over in trade. Frolik and Perreault were tremendous in 2nd/3rd line roles. The biggest thing is the club had a game plan and everyone seemed to buy in (save one). In fact, the Evander Kane fiasco brought the team together with Buff throwing the now famous track suit into the shower.

WHAT WENT WRONG: Kane proved himself to be a selfish player and was jettisoned. Jay Harrison came over in trade and didn't do much, Stempniak and Tlusty about the same. Honest to God, I cannot find much to say went wrong, save for injuries to Little and Buff at the wrong time. Pavelec maybe, he was inconsistent for much of the year.

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR: Blake Wheeler can flat out play, he led the team with 26 goals and was third among forwards in power play time, but only had 2 power play goals. This is not an aberration, the six foot five big man has averaged 21 goals a year in seven seasons and averaged only three PPG per year. Somehow, the man just doesn't translate well with a man advantage.

UFAs:

Frolik

Stafford

Stempniak

Tlusty

Slater

Pardy

Halischuk

Galiardi

UPCOMING PROSPECTS FOR 2015-16:

Nik Ehlers is a comer as a power forward, he should stick this coming season. Josh Morissey could make the blue line even better. Joel Armia came over from the Sabres in the Myers deal and could be a top nine forward next year. Lots of decent bottom end hard working prospects like Copp, Chiarot and Holland are capable of stepping in if need be.

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS: In an offseason when the free agent class is weak, the Jets have some juicy players who others are going to try to snatch up. Frolik will command a high salary as will Stafford who rediscovered his love of the game. Even Stempniak and Tlusty will bring good money. How much the Jets are willing to spend to retain the players they would like to keep?

391132150057_1.jpg Preseason expectations: The Jets were considered an outsider for a playoff spot in the rugged Western conference.

FINAL RECORD: 43-26-13 99 POINTS 7th in the Western conference, first playoff appearance since the franchise went to Winnipeg.

HIGH POINT OF THE SEASON: Going 4-0-1, with wins against playoff teams (Calgary, Vancouver, the Wild and Blues) including two brilliant shutouts by Pavelec to clinch the first playoff spot since Manitoba reclaimed an NHL franchise.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR: A six game losing streak from January 27th thru February 6th had them slip nearly out of the race before they righted the ship.

I don not consider the sweep by the Ducks as a low point, the Jets worked their tails off to get as far as they did and have zero to hold their head down over.

WHAT WENT RIGHT: Trading Kane for Myers and Stafford and picks and a prospect was a major coup. Hutchinson was a breath of fresh air and pushedm86CX9IDqMV9va0_KFN4Ptw.jpg Pavelec, the two were a solid tandem. Blake

Wheeler led the way with 26 goals. Ladd led with 62 points and Little was brilliant when healthy. Scheifele established himself as a premier second line center with more upside. Big Buff was a power play God. The team overcame injuries to nearly their entire defense early in the year and came through with Buff, Myers, Trouba and Enstrom as one fo the leagues best foursomes. Drew Stafford was a perfect fit after coming over in trade. Frolik and Perreault were tremendous in 2nd/3rd line roles. The biggest thing is the club had a game plan and everyone seemed to buy in (save one). In fact, the Evander Kane fiasco brought the team together with Buff throwing the now famous track suit into the shower.

WHAT WENT WRONG: Kane proved himself to be a selfish player and was jettisoned. Jay Harrison came over in trade and didn't do much, Stempniak and Tlusty about the same. Honest to God, I cannot find much to say went wrong, save for injuries to Little and Buff at the wrong time. Pavelec maybe, he was inconsistent for much of the year.

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR: Blake Wheeler can flat out play, he led the team with 26 goals and was third among forwards in power play time, but only had 2 power play goals. This is not an aberration, the six foot five big man has averaged 21 goals a year in seven seasons and averaged only three PPG per year. Somehow, the man just doesn't translate well with a man advantage.

UFAs:

Frolik

Stafford

Stempniak

Tlusty

Slater

Pardy

Halischuk

Galiardi

UPCOMING PROSPECTS FOR 2015-16:

Nik Ehlers is a comer as a power forward, he should stick this coming season. Josh Morissey could make the blue line even better. Joel Armia came over from the Sabres in the Myers deal and could be a top nine forward next year. Lots of decent bottom end hard working prospects like Copp, Chiarot and Holland are capable of stepping in if need be.

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS: In an offseason when the free agent class is weak, the Jets have some juicy players who others are going to try to snatch up. Frolik will command a high salary as will Stafford who rediscovered his love of the game. Even Stempniak and Tlusty will bring good money. How much the Jets are willing to spend to retain the players they would like to keep?

I don't disagree with much of your assessment.

I think you were overly harsh on Stempniak as a bust. He's versatile. Tlusty was OK only. Never got a scoring steak. Can't see him back. Or Stempniak.

On the trade: you're right to identify it as the most important event of the year (well, other than making the POs). But it gets even better: they also got a 1st round pick (albeit a late 1st) and Claude Lemieux's kid Brendan.

@Podein25

Stempniak was okay, like you stated he is a versatile winger who can play up and down the lines, but he didn't have a big impact.

I hope they sign Stafford, he seems to have rediscovered his love for the game in Winnipeg, Buffalo was absolutely the wrong spot for him. The Jets do have a fair amount of forward prospects coming up, I don't think I even mentioned Petan who might be the best of the bunch, but Stafford would serve as a nice bridge. If they manage to resign him, the Myers trade may go down as one of the most lopsided ever unless Kane turns his attitude and career around.

@Podein25

Stempniak was okay, like you stated he is a versatile winger who can play up and down the lines, but he didn't have a big impact.

I hope they sign Stafford, he seems to have rediscovered his love for the game in Winnipeg, Buffalo was absolutely the wrong spot for him. The Jets do have a fair amount of forward prospects coming up, I don't think I even mentioned Petan who might be the best of the bunch, but Stafford would serve as a nice bridge. If they manage to resign him, the Myers trade may go down as one of the most lopsided ever unless Kane turns his attitude and career around.

It could, yes. Myers was *very* good. He looked reborn. I think of all of the UFAs Stafford is the one that they re-sign. Slater is liked and valued and came with the team from Atlanta, but if his asking price is too high they won't re-sign him. The Jets like this Andrew Copp kid they signed out of Michigan State. He's a faceoff-winning center who plays a tough 200' game. He might be ready, whereas Petan likely needs another year in the AHL

@Podein25

Somebody better step in a give Lemieux a kick up the arse. He became a pretty selfish player last year. I expect he'll be back with the Colts next season, as there's no way he's mature enough for the NHL. He can be a very good player when he has his head on straight. But last season was pretty disappointing as far as his development went.

@Podein25

Somebody better step in a give Lemieux a kick up the arse. He became a pretty selfish player last year. I ee hxpect he'll be back with the Colts next season, as there's no way he's mature enough for the NHL. He can be a very good player when he has his head on straight. But last season was pretty disappointing as far as his development went.

I was under the impression that he had matured this past year. I thought it was you or @jammer2 who had said that?

@Podein25

I thought he was doing pretty damn good the year before. This year he was acting like a jerk a lot of the time. I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded.

He's a Jet now, so he'd better smarten up. Do you mean traded as a Colt or Jet?

Archived