Uncle Lou leaves NJ

Samifan

I have to wonder if there is something going on with the new ownership. First Broduer leaves and now Uncle Lou.

The new ownership must want a fresh perspective! LOL.

I have to wonder if there is something going on with the new ownership. First Broduer leaves and now Uncle Lou.

They're cleaning house at the top, which, quite honestly, the Devils were probably due for. They had the same GM and head scout for over 20 years. Eventually you need to bring in some new blood. Whether or not it actually works is anybody's guess.

They're cleaning house at the top, which, quite honestly, the Devils were probably due for. They had the same GM and head scout for over 20 years. Eventually you need to bring in some new blood. Whether or not it actually works is anybody's guess.

I'd call it more getting rid of the has beans.!  :D

I'd call it more getting rid of the has beans.! :D

Lou's record may not have been what it was in the glory days, but a lot of the Devils woes the last 5 years were out of Lou's hands. They had financial issues the restricted what Lou could do around the time Parise left. Then Kovalchuk walked out (which in the long run will probably be better for them financially) and the Devils had no impact forwards left. It's not like Lou could just pick up the phone and order himself a Parise or a Kovalchuk. Given the Devils limited assets they couldn't exactly trade for a player of that caliber either. So they had to go the Jagr, Ryder, Brunner, Havlat route instead. The Clowe signing was a bad idea, but at least they can Pronger him with his concussion issues.

But, missing the playoffs 4 out of 5 years is enough reason to think about making a change, no matter what kind of success a GM has had. Clearly ownership felt it was time for that change, and here we are now.

Thank you Lou for everything. You put the Devils on the map as a franchise and spoiled Devils fans by putting together one of the most successful teams for the better part of two decades. I wish you well in Toronto...well okay mostly well. Just as long as you don't help them win a Cup.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of interesting quotes from Marty Brodeur regarding Lamoriello leaving NJ.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/808985

"I was really surprised," Brodeur said Tuesday, according to NHL.com's Arpon Basu. "I had some conversations with (Lamoriello) and I knew what was going on a bit, but it was still surprising to see all the changes going on there. I hope it's for the good of the organization."

What is going on??

"(The Blues) offered me the job, and I had to think about it a little bit," he said. "I would have liked to go back to New Jersey, so it took some time for me to make my decision. But for me to go back there after everything that's happened in New Jersey lately, I think I made the right move."

What has happened in N.J. lately?  -- exactly...

Sure seems like like there is more going on than just bringing in new blood.

Shero wouldn't have the same loyalty to Marty that Lou would have, which I think is why he took the St. Louis job. It's clear ownership wants a new direction, and bringing ex-Devils into management positions isn't part of that.

Archived