Where Will Erik Karlsson Finish?

ScottM

528445_1435195767709.jpg

Erik Karlsson is already in rarefied air simply due to the fact that he has multiple Norris Trophy wins. Only 13 players have ever done that. In Karlsson's case, the feat becomes even more impressive when you consider the fact that he had two wins by the time he turned 25. I personally believe that if not for the Matt Cooke incident, he'd likely have a third already, as he was off to a better start that season than he was the season before when he won the trophy.

Fast forward to this season. I don't really feel that Karlsson is playing all that close to his talent level right now, yet, he's averaging a point per game, and I feel very safe in saying that I believe he's on pace to at least be a finalist again. If he steps up his play like he did last season, he's got a great shot to win another Norris. Yes, I'm a Senators fan, and yes, this is something that I'd like to see happen, so maybe my bias is showing, but I think it's very likely that he has multiple Norris wins ahead of him.

When you start adding to the two he already has, the company becomes much more select. If he wins one more, he will have done something that only eight players have ever managed. If he wins two more, he'd be in the top five in Norris Trophy wins behind only Orr, Harvey, Lidstrom, and Bourque, the four guys I consider to be the top four defensemen ever.

Here are my questions to be discussed in this thread. How many Norris Trophies do you think Karlsson will retire with? What kind of company do you think he's in now? Where do you think he will end up being ranked among defensemen all time?

528445_1435195767709.jpg

Erik Karlsson is already in rarefied air simply due to the fact that he has multiple Norris Trophy wins. Only 13 players have ever done that. In Karlsson's case, the feat becomes even more impressive when you consider the fact that he had two wins by the time he turned 25. I personally believe that if not for the Matt Cooke incident, he'd likely have a third already, as he was off to a better start that season than he was the season before when he won the trophy.

Fast forward to this season. I don't really feel that Karlsson is playing all that close to his talent level right now, yet, he's averaging a point per game, and I feel very safe in saying that I believe he's on pace to at least be a finalist again. If he steps up his play like he did last season, he's got a great shot to win another Norris. Yes, I'm a Senators fan, and yes, this is something that I'd like to see happen, so maybe my bias is showing, but I think it's very likely that he has multiple Norris wins ahead of him.

When you start adding to the two he already has, the company becomes much more select. If he wins one more, he will have done something that only eight players have ever managed. If he wins two more, he'd be in the top five in Norris Trophy wins behind only Orr, Harvey, Lidstrom, and Bourque, the four guys I consider to be the top four defensemen ever.

Here are my questions to be discussed in this thread. How many Norris Trophies do you think Karlsson will retire with? What kind of company do you think he's in now? Where do you think he will end up being ranked among defensemen all time?

He will assuredly win another Norris, I say he concludes his career with a minimum of three Norris trophies....

Surpassable

Chris Pronger and Zdeno Chara and Scott Stevens

im aware Karlsson will most likely never exceed Peak Pronger or Steven, but he can surpass him by winning a few more Norris trophies, and being a consistent top 5 defenseman and needs a few playoff performances in which he is the dominant player. Same criteria for Chara to a lesser extent.

Scott Niedermayer

Simply needs a norris trophy or a dominant playoff performance. Even then, I think he already has surpassed nieds

Duncan Keith and Brian Leetch

Needs to win atleast one more norris trophy to be in conversation of surpassing both. But will need maybe a few more to compensate for Keith and Leetch phenomenal playoff performances. Or maybe even some dominant playoff performances.

Rod Langway

The complete opposite of Karlsson, stellar defensively. ok offensively... depending on which is more important to you, Karlsson should surpass him with one more Norris win.

Paul Coffey

All he needs to do for Coffey is surpass him in Norris trophies.... I dont exactly hold Coffey in high regard...

Then there`s robinson, Chelios and Pilot. I think its feasible, but particularly Robinson and CHelios will prove difficult to surpass. If he will at all....

Ofc, Karlsson needs to improve defensively first  :P

Players he will most likely not eclipse...

Orr

Lidstrom

Harvey

Bourque

SHore

Potvin

So that puts him between 7-15 in where he will rank amongst the greatest defenseman

@ScottM  I think Karlsson has won his last Norris. I think P.K Subban takes over, then passes the mantel to Exblad.

I do believe that Ekblad is likely to be the top defenseman in the game in the future, but I'm not so sure about Subban taking over. He's actually slightly older than Karlsson, and again, maybe I'm biased, but I don't think top form Subban is at top form Karlsson level. The year Subban won the Norris was the year Karlsson was injured, and as I've said I think Karlsson was headed for a win that year before being sidelined. This year, they're pretty much neck and neck, and again, Karlsson doesn't feel like he's playing as well as he could be. He's just started scoring goals in the last couple of games, and even though I don't think he's played his best defensive hockey, aside from a couple of games, he's been pretty solid.

@ScottM  It's pretty even right now, P.K has played 17 games and has 16 pts and Karlsson has 16 pts in 16 games. PK's plus minus is better and he gets better and better in his own end as time goes by....and P.K is more physical, has a lot of layers to his game. Karlsson has the teammate advantage, I'd take Turris and Stone ahead of anyone the Habs can muster...only Pacioretty is on par with those 2.

We shall see, but my money is on P.K for the Norris this year. I guess you can put Klingberg into the conversation as well.

@jammer2 Yeah, like I said, I think they're pretty dead even at the moment. I still feel like Karlsson has room to step it up. I think they're both top notch candidates at the moment. I think if one of them holds and one drops off, though, it'll be Karlsson that comes out on top.

@ScottM  I'm thinking if the pts stay close to even, P.K wins...much better in his own zone, much more physical...he has dimensions to his game that Eric does not have.

You're probably right. I guess I just feel like Karlsson is much more likely to be able to stay near the current scoring pace. Subban is a bit better defensively, though Karlsson is better than many claim. I just think Karlsson is the more well-rounded player.

You're probably right. I guess I just feel like Karlsson is much more likely to be able to stay near the current scoring pace. Subban is a bit better defensively, though Karlsson is better than many claim. I just think Karlsson is the more well-rounded player.
Karlsson the more well rounded player?Subban is slightly better defensively and Karlsson is undeniably superior to Subban offensively even if its close. But who plays on the PK?

Karlsson the more well rounded player?Subban is slightly better defensively and Karlsson is undeniably superior to Subban offensively even if its close. But who plays on the PK?

I'll stand by that. If you get Subban in too deep on the rush, he can't get back. Karlsson can because he's easily the superior skater. He goes end to end much more easily, and that counts for a lot.

@ScottM  I think they are very close in skating speed. In fact, I think P.K is faster if he gets a few strides going forward. Karlsson starts and stops better.

The fact that he can start so quickly plays a big role in that. When you have to go coast to coast like that, it's vital. That's why Karlsson was so hyped in relation to the 3 on 3.

The fact that he can start so quickly plays a big role in that. When you have to go coast to coast like that, it's vital. That's why Karlsson was so hyped in relation to the 3 on 3.
Even then, apparently Karlsson has proven to be inefficacious on the PK... and penalty killing is a significant aspect of the game particularly for defenseman.

Even then, apparently Karlsson has proven to be inefficacious on the PK... and penalty killing is a significant aspect of the game particularly for defenseman.

I won't argue that, but it still plays a big role in getting back on defense. But on the flip side of special teams, they're both called PP quarterbacks, and Karlsson fares much better there. In the last two seasons, he has 61 points on the power play compared to 44 for Subban. I'm not and I have not disputed that Subban is a bit better defensively. The ability to get back faster is the only edge Karlsson has there, though he's not shabby. Offensively, though, I go with Karlsson every time. I'm not trying to argue you guys down. I simply believe that Karlsson's overall game is a bit better when all is weighed.

@JagerMeister  It's not like P.K never plays on the penalty killing unit...in his last game he was killing penalties 40% of the time the Habs were short handed.

http://leftwinglock.com/line-combinations/montreal-canadiens/?team=montreal-canadiens&strength=SH&gametype=1

Yes..I was advocating for PK being the more well rounded player primarily due to his effectiveness on the PK...

I won't argue that, but it still plays a big role in getting back on defense. But on the flip side of special teams, they're both called PP quarterbacks, and Karlsson fares much better there. In the last two seasons, he has 61 points on the power play compared to 44 for Subban. I'm not and I have not disputed that Subban is a bit better defensively. The ability to get back faster is the only edge Karlsson has there, though he's not shabby. Offensively, though, I go with Karlsson every time. I'm not trying to argue you guys down. I simply believe that Karlsson's overall game is a bit better when all is weighed.
Yes Karlsson is superior on the pp when compared to Subban. But the issue here is, Karlsson doesnt even play on the pk, while Subban is always utilized there. Thats a significant gap...Even then, Im simply saying Pk is more well rounded, nit the superior player if that makes any sense..

PK was a +21 last year, compared to Eric's +7, but Karlsson had 30 pp pts, compared to PK's 21, so they kinda sorta cancel each other out, although I must admit, I hold pp pts in higher regard than plus minus.

Yes Karlsson is superior on the pp when compared to Subban. But the issue here is, Karlsson doesnt even play on the pk, while Subban is always utilized there. Thats a significant gap...Even then, Im simply saying Pk is more well rounded, nit the superior player if that makes any sense..

Actually, Karlsson does play on the PK at times. He's not as good at it as Subban, but he does do it.

Archived