A good streak that ended predictably

SpikeDDS

So the point streak stops at 13. What was predictable is how we lost. Another 3rd period collapse. In the past 13 games, the collapses ended with the regulation score tied. This one cost us 2 points, not one.

What was a little different about this game was that we really didn't stop playing. We just couldn't seem to put the puck in the net, even though we created a number of opportunities and shots. We caught a LOT of iron, it seems, in this game. And Chad Johnson's save on Nyquist at the end was incredible! I really didn't think we played that badly in the 3rd.

But having said that, the 3rd period collapses have been rather regular here of late. And the lesson to be learned is that you can still lose a game on bounces if you haven't built much of a lead. We need to learn that lesson. If you don't score that next goal, it can come back to bite you in the butt, and last night it did, even though we didn't play that badly.

Jurco looked completely inept on that penalty shot, other than the fact that his shot was on net. I'm not sure why the game he plays in the AHL doesn't translate to the game he plays in the NHL, but it doesn't. He looked like a player with no confidence whatsoever on that penalty shot. Personally, I'd like to see someone else get an opportunity. I'm done with Jurco. He should be trade bait IMHO. He's got potential, but I just don't see him reaching it here. He has had plenty of opportunity to make it happen, and he's just not doing it. Let him try and do it somewhere else.

@SpikeDDS

ATHANASIOU!!! I know Blash has been reluctant to recall him, his words were he does not want him playing 10 minutes a night at this level when he can gain experience playing 18-20 a night at GR. Tired of that. Turdco is horrible.

So tired of the third period collapses. Five mintes to go a lead and losing in regulation. Ugh.

We need a shut down nasty d-man, a Phaneuf type, not a superstar but a nasty with a growl guy who makes you pay when you enter the zone. Smith can be, about every third or fourth game.

@SpikeDDS

ATHANASIOU!!! I know Blash has been reluctant to recall him, his words were he does not want him playing 10 minutes a night at this level when he can gain experience playing 18-20 a night at GR. Tired of that. Turdco is horrible.

So tired of the third period collapses. Five mintes to go a lead and losing in regulation. Ugh.

We need a shut down nasty d-man, a Phaneuf type, not a superstar but a nasty with a growl guy who makes you pay when you enter the zone. Smith can be, about every third or fourth game.

I'd be happy with AA. Heck, let's see Mantha if he's ready. But more Jurco is not what we need. Time for KH to make a move.

@SpikeDDS  @yave1964

I mentioned in a previous thread that Jurco was signed this offseason to a two year deal on the cheap.  Possible, putting him on the discount rack for other interested parties.  Problem is, Jurco is not producing AT ALL to make him look valuable to interested suitors.  I doubt we'd get much in return, maybe another late-round pick, but we still need someone to be interested.

I like the way Smith has been ratcheting up the sandpaper.  Somebody (else) has to.  Abby and Ericsson will happily push and shove anyone, but apparently it's not enough to deter some of the cheap shots and rough-housing.   

Also not thrilled with third period collapses, but I agree with you Spike that the did not play horrible int he third against Buffalo.  This particular loss wouldn't sting so badly if they didn't have so many other collapses hanging over their heads in the first place.  Eitherway, a few days off, no more pressure of a point streak, and a struggling Vancouver team coming into the building tonight.  Three more games until Christmas - Canucks, Flames, and Devils.  Can Santa leave us 5 points in our stockings this year?

Archived