Best Seasons by non-Hall-of-Famers

ScottM

bernie-nicholls.jpg

There are plenty of players who have posted a career year for the ages, but who just aren't up to Hall of Fame quality when judged over their full careers. This thread is for them. What seasons do you consider to be the best among players who aren't in the Hall of Fame or who probably won't be if their careers are not yet over.

I'll start it off with the obvious: Bernie Nicholls in 1988-89. Only eight players have ever scored 70 goals in a season and only five have scored 150 points. Nicholls did both of those that season. Outside of that, he never scored more than 46 goals in a season (and only scored 40 on one other occasion. Despite what the 150 point season might suggest, he only had three career 100 point seasons.

I'll also mention Dennis Maruk who scored 60 goals and 136 points in 1981-82, even managing to finish sixth in Hart Trophy balloting.. It was his second consecutive 50 goal season, but outside of those two seasons, he never tallied more than 36, and his second-best point total was just 97.

Those are my two to start it out. Who wants to give some more?

On Saturday, December 26, 2015 at 4:32 PM, ScottM said:

bernie-nicholls.jpg

There are plenty of players who have posted a career year for the ages, but who just aren't up to Hall of Fame quality when judged over their full careers. This thread is for them. What seasons do you consider to be the best among players who aren't in the Hall of Fame or who probably won't be if their careers are not yet over.

I'll start it off with the obvious: Bernie Nicholls in 1988-89. Only eight players have ever scored 70 goals in a season and only five have scored 150 points. Nicholls did both of those that season. Outside of that, he never scored more than 46 goals in a season (and only scored 40 on one other occasion. Despite what the 150 point season might suggest, he only had three career 100 point seasons.

I'll also mention Dennis Maruk who scored 60 goals and 136 points in 1981-82, even managing to finish sixth in Hart Trophy balloting.. It was his second consecutive 50 goal season, but outside of those two seasons, he never tallied more than 36, and his second-best point total was just 97.

Those are my two to start it out. Who wants to give some more?

Alexander Mogilny during the 1992 season. Amassed 127 points and 76 goals in 77 games.

Pierre Turgeon in the same season also produced 132 points. Measuring their impact on their teams however, I find Turgeons season slightly more impactful, seeing as the second best point producer on his team had 87 points, while Mogilny played alongside someone that outproduced him in that same season.

Theoren Fleury in 1990 had 104 points and was 2nd in goalscoring.

Paul Kariya had a truly underrated season in 1995, produced 108 points and was 7th in the league. Even more impressive, the next point producer on the team had 44 points, all of this during his sophomore season.

And last but not least, Dany Heatley 50 in 07

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2016 at 11:53 PM, JagerMeister said:

Alexander Mogilny during the 1992 season. Amassed 127 points and 76 goals in 77 games.

Pierre Turgeon in the same season also produced 132 points. Measuring their impact on their teams however, I find Turgeons season slightly more impactful, seeing as the second best point producer on his team had 87 points, while Mogilny played alongside someone that outproduced him in that same season.

Theoren Fleury in 1990 had 104 points and was 2nd in goalscoring.

Paul Kariya had a truly underrated season in 1995, produced 108 points and was 7th in the league. Even more impressive, the next point producer on the team had 44 points, all of this during his sophomore season.

And last but not least, Dany Heatley 50 in 07

Yeah teams back in those days didn't really play team defense or have the systems that they do today. Just check the g.a.a on some of the greats back in those days. Times have changed todays 20 goal scorers were 40 goal scorers back in those days. We may never see hockey like that again.

Archived