Leafs Are Better Than Their Record Indicates

WordsOfWisdom

The Leafs have a goal differential of 0 (103 GF, 103 GA)...... which means they're better than:

• Philadelphia
  • Pittsburgh
  • Ottawa
  • New Jersey
  • Detroit

As strange as it sounds, the Leafs should be a lot higher in the standings than they are. This recent winning streak still hasn't elevated the Leafs to where their overall performance says they should be. Goal differential is the most accurate team performance metric. Therefore, expect the rise to continue, and expect the Leafs to start leapfrogging a bunch of teams as the law of averages does its thing and "corrects" the Leafs win-loss record. :)

(Which isn't a good thing if we miss out on the draft lottery mind you...)

I keep wondering if we have finally 'turned the corner'. I do think the Ducks put in a lousy overall effort last night, and although I agree about the 'stars' the game was in Anaheim. I think the Ducks were expecting the same old Leafs and were caught out playing to their opponents.

Just the same - WTF??

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Bernier! His SV% is above 0.900 and his GAA below 3.00

Kudos to Bernier. He's won back the #1 job again. I think the reality of facing career extinction probably motivated him to get his game back because he really was at the end of his rope when they sent him down to the minors.

What makes me nervous is that this team is playing like a 9th place team. While it's great to see improvement, this is year one of rebuild number one thousand, and we want to see improvement through the draft and development of young players. That means being high in the draft lottery and landing a franchise player -- something the Leafs don't have. (All due respect to Bozak, Komarov, Kadri, Rielly, etc... but a top draft pick would play better than all of them with just two years of NHL experience.)

:)

35 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

I keep wondering if we have finally 'turned the corner'. I do think the Ducks put in a lousy overall effort last night, and although I agree about the 'stars' the game was in Anaheim. I think the Ducks were expecting the same old Leafs and were caught out playing to their opponents.

Just the same - WTF??

The Ducks have been shockingly bad offensively. They were buzzing around the Leafs zone in the first period but couldn't finish. Then they folded once the Leafs went up 2-0. Some big name guys over there need to be sitting in the press box for a bit me thinks. A wake up call needs to be sent. I'm sure they were expecting an easy go of it against the Leafs and ran into a buzzsaw instead. :o

What you're seeing is a Leafs team that is playing like a well coached team with a proven system. Babcock is getting the most he can get from this group of players. What this means going forward is that the Leafs could be back in the playoff picture with a couple good trades and smart draft selections, as early as next season.

On January 7, 2016 at 8:40 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

The Leafs have a goal differential of 0 (103 GF, 103 GA)...... which means they're better than:

• Philadelphia
  • Pittsburgh
  • Ottawa
  • New Jersey
  • Detroit

As strange as it sounds, the Leafs should be a lot higher in the standings than they are. This recent winning streak still hasn't elevated the Leafs to where their overall performance says they should be. Goal differential is the most accurate team performance metric. Therefore, expect the rise to continue, and expect the Leafs to start leapfrogging a bunch of teams as the law of averages does its thing and "corrects" the Leafs win-loss record. :)

(Which isn't a good thing if we miss out on the draft lottery mind you...)

I think it will continue. Getting Babcock behind the bench and Shanahan upstairs is a huge cornerstone for this organization. Maybe they will have some big pockets at Free Agency time. 

1 hour ago, Hatrik98 said:

I think it will continue. Getting Babcock behind the bench and Shanahan upstairs is a huge cornerstone for this organization. Maybe they will have some big pockets at Free Agency time. 

I agree on Babcock. He might be the best coach in the game. I'm not sure what Shanahan adds however because he has no management experience. :ermm:

I agree on Babcock and Shanny (until he proves me either right or wrong) but I doubt they will do much of anything at free agent time. I'm one who believes Shanny when he says he's in this for the long haul. Spending a lot of money on free agents does not fit the plan, as I see it anyway.

One thing Shanny has done for us is show the league that this is an organisation that you want to play for, and that's new. And it's great. ;)

9 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Nevermind.

(7-0 loss to San Jose.)  :unsure[1]:

Here we go again with the Jeckyl and Hyde act. Unbelievable. A reaction to the loss against the Kings maybe? Frustrating... :ermm:

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/01/2016 at 7:17 AM, BluPuk said:

Here we go again with the Jeckyl and Hyde act. Unbelievable. A reaction to the loss against the Kings maybe? Frustrating... :ermm:

LOL. I think I can probably close this thread now.  :lol:

Since I created this thread, the "old" Leafs are back: Getting out-shot badly, out-played, giving the puck away, weak defensive coverage, etc. The Leafs have only won three games in the entire month of January, and they have slipped into a deep negative goal differential now.

So suffice it to say, the Leafs are exactly where they should be in the standings based on how they've been playing. 

Archived