Goal or No?

ScottM

You Make the Call  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should Smith's Penalty Shot be a Goal?

Last night, the Senators squared off against the Sharks, and trailed 3-2 late in the third. Brent Burns hauled Zack Smith down on a shorthanded breakaway, and a penalty shot was awarded. The awarding of the penalty shot was not controversial at all, but the shot itself certainly was. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure about this one. They showed two angles on the replay, and while one makes it appear that the puck moved back, the other gives me the impression that the puck's forward motion just barely continued. I'm really not sure which is the case.

Here's the video. Judge for yourself.

From the first angle I would have said he pulled it back but after seeing the side view, the right call was made. He slows the puck to an almost stop and his forward momentum on the skates gives the illusion that he pulled it back but did not. Pretty good goal for a 4th liner.

6 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I'll admit. I was surprised the goal stood

I think that the different angles gave such dissimilar results that no matter what the call on the ice was, it would have stood. I just don't think there was anything conclusive. I voted yes in the poll based on that, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Wow that is as close as it gets  My first initial thought was no goal.....however with the benefit of replay and slow motion it looks good to me.....But only by a hair.  That is close.  Agree with Scott, I voted yes...but I won't bet the farm on it.

Archived