Shoot-outs

WingNut722

I'm getting tired of the shootouts, mostly because the Red Wings have no chance.  And it's not the goaltending, it's the scorers.  I'm also faulting Blash for this too because he sends out the same lineup every time.  Brad Richards I can agree with, he's been pretty successful, but stops putting Datsyuk and especially Nyquist.  Nyquist is useless and Datsyuk doesn't have it anymore.  

For some reason, the Red Wings think the shootout is a stick handling and skills competition, and they never learn how useless it is.  Richard's has been successful because he treats the shoot-out like a breakaway.  Come in fast and hard, and shot the puck before the goalie figures you out.  You come in slow and skating around (or just plain stopping Nyquist did in Ottawa) and you have no chance.  

Next time the Red Wings are in a shootout, the lineup should be Richards, Larkin and Datsyuk with the instruction that they all skate in fast and hard.  All of them have beautifully accurate wrist shots, so they should forget the stickhandling business.

Thank you.  I'm off my soapbox now....

1 hour ago, WingNut722 said:

I'm getting tired of the shootouts, mostly because the Red Wings have no chance.  And it's not the goaltending, it's the scorers.  I'm also faulting Blash for this too because he sends out the same lineup every time.  Brad Richards I can agree with, he's been pretty successful, but stops putting Datsyuk and especially Nyquist.  Nyquist is useless and Datsyuk doesn't have it anymore.  

For some reason, the Red Wings think the shootout is a stick handling and skills competition, and they never learn how useless it is.  Richard's has been successful because he treats the shoot-out like a breakaway.  Come in fast and hard, and shot the puck before the goalie figures you out.  You come in slow and skating around (or just plain stopping Nyquist did in Ottawa) and you have no chance.  

Next time the Red Wings are in a shootout, the lineup should be Richards, Larkin and Datsyuk with the instruction that they all skate in fast and hard.  All of them have beautifully accurate wrist shots, so they should forget the stickhandling business.

Thank you.  I'm off my soapbox now....

I agree. Nyke is not good enough. Richards and Datsyuk are decent. Pav used to be better. Larkin should be in there.

I disagree that no one should come in slow, though. Bertuzzi was MUCH better coming in slow than fast. We just don't have anyone skilled enough to do it that way right now. There are other players in the league who excel at the slow approach. Just not us.

People elite in a certain aspect of the game ( Stick handling and shooting in this case ) should utilize those skill sets in the shootout. That being said, I have heard from people that im presuming are Detroit fans, say that Datsyuk simply doesn't care to exert effort in the shootout anymore...

18 hours ago, JagerMeister said:

People elite in a certain aspect of the game ( Stick handling and shooting in this case ) should utilize those skill sets in the shootout. That being said, I have heard from people that im presuming are Detroit fans, say that Datsyuk simply doesn't care to exert effort in the shootout anymore...

I won't go so far as to say that he doesn't care (mainly because I don't like the thought) but he sure doesn't have the same "zip" as he used to.  Still though, even in a reduced capacity, he has the skills to be rather successful in the shootout, and I don't mind seeing him in the top three.  To "depend" on him though, and not develop any other talent, is a mistake.

Todd Bertuzzi (!) of all people used to be a shootout GOD for the Wings, coming in slow, swooping in, the goaltender had time to order a postgame pizza and maybe even eat a slice before big Bert finally came in. Jason Williams was another one who was a good player, great shootout guy.

It also disrupted the tenders rythym for the other shooters.

Pavel has a long history as the best shootout guy in the game, so he has to stay in.

I like the idea of mixing them up, different styles to throw the goalie off stride. I would go Pavel first, then Larkina dn the the Captain, Zetterberg with Richards number four if needed. What we have been doing certainly is not working.

21 hours ago, WingNut722 said:

I won't go so far as to say that he doesn't care (mainly because I don't like the thought) but he sure doesn't have the same "zip" as he used to.  Still though, even in a rduced capacity, he has the skills to be rather successful in the shootout, and I don't mind seeing him in the top three.  To "depend" on him though, and not develop any other talent, is a mistake.

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 1:13 PM, SpikeDDS said:

I agree. Nyke is not good enough. Richards and Datsyuk are decent. Pav used to be better. Larkin should be in there.

I disagree that no one should come in slow, though. Bertuzzi was MUCH better coming in slow than fast. We just don't have anyone skilled enough to do it that way right now. There are other players in the league who excel at the slow approach. Just not us.

ATHANASIOU!!!

Wow that was nice seeing the Wings mix it up, taking Nyquist out and putting Telly Tubby in as our second shooter (not only that but Sheahan scored our first shorty of the year too!) but then Athanasiou was our anchorman, our third shooter.

Babs would have NEVER done that. No way no how would a rookie have had the game on his stick in the shootout over the past decade. Never. Blashill giving AA the shot with the game on the line spoke volumes.

And I watched when the game was over and the team went out to congratulate the kid, Z was first, barely, as a Captain should be, but almost side by side was Larkin with a huge grin, Larkin looked almost like the mentor proud of a pupil with the way he grinned at AA. We have our future Captain there. Also it was good to see Kronwall back in the lineup and good to see Marchenko make up for being outhustled by Jenner on the Jackets only goal by setting up Sheahan on the shorty......

No Hockey for a few days as we prepare for Colorado. Hope the boys get their rest.

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

ATHANASIOU!!!

Wow that was nice seeing the Wings mix it up, taking Nyquist out and putting Telly Tubby in as our second shooter (not only that but Sheahan scored our first shorty of the year too!) but then Athanasiou was our anchorman, our third shooter.

Babs would have NEVER done that. No way no how would a rookie have had the game on his stick in the shootout over the past decade. Never. Blashill giving AA the shot with the game on the line spoke volumes.

And I watched when the game was over and the team went out to congratulate the kid, Z was first, barely, as a Captain should be, but almost side by side was Larkin with a huge grin, Larkin looked almost like the mentor proud of a pupil with the way he grinned at AA. We have our future Captain there. Also it was good to see Kronwall back in the lineup and good to see Marchenko make up for being outhustled by Jenner on the Jackets only goal by setting up Sheahan on the shorty......

No Hockey for a few days as we prepare for Colorado. Hope the boys get their rest.

Both Double-A and Sheahan played their best games to date. Did you see that move by AA late in the 3rd? Almost scored too! That kid was all over the place last night. This is what I have been hoping to see from him. I hope that with increased minutes, that it takes the pressure off of Larkin, and he starts scoring again. Might be fun having a kid line featuring both of them, eh?

You are absolutely right that AA would never have seen the ice as top 3 in the shootout under Babs. No way. Blash went with his gut. Served him well. Even Anson Carter said after the game that Blash outcoached him when he put Mrazek back in after Howard's performance the other night.

What impressed me most with AA's SO was that I haven't seen a Red Wing handle the puck that many times that quickly and still get a quality shot off in a LONG time. I've seen Nyke try it only to hear the commentators say, "Yeah he tried to do too much..." It's one thing to be able to stickhandle. It's another thing to be able to stickhandle and move instantaneously to a quality shot. That's what I saw with AA. After the game, AA said he didn't decide what he was going to do until he made it to the hashmarks. He quickly made his decision and executed. VERY refreshing to see that.

In contrast, Sheahan almost missed his shot and was fortunate it went in. He admitted as much after the game. I'm glad he scored, and he played a great game, so it was deserved, but AA's was created by AA 100%.

That was a BS quick whistle in the OT on Mrazek, BTW! I don't see 2 steps as "skating with the puck," especially in the act of passing it. That whistle was too quick. I know the official was referencing the rule. Everyone in that arena except for that official knew that Mrazek was passing that puck to Pav. I actually like Pav on breakaways in live games better than I do in SOs. We got boned on our ROW there.

Archived