Stadium Series Alumni Games

hf101

I really enjoyed last Saturdays Alumni game between the North Stars and the Blackhawks that was a rivalry deeprooted as long as I can remember.  It was great seeing and hearing what all the players of both organizations were doing in life after hockey and they really seemed that they had a great weekend with the festivities.

Next weekend another bitter rivalry gears it's festivities for the Stadium series in Denver between the Avalanche and Redwings.  The tone of this one is much different however.  As Patrick Roy and Peter Forsberg have stated that they don’t want any interacting between the two teams. Next week’s game will be intense.  Well hopefully not this intense.

God I hated these guys, like Really, Really hated them. There were so many moments that stand out, Kozlov smashing Foote's face against the boards behind the play with the ref having his head turned causing Foote to receive 30 something stitches to the face, no penalty called because the ref has heading back up ice, following the puck, really that was the Genesis of the bad blood.

Claude 'Turtle' Lemieux destroying Drapers face in the playoffs. Dino saying "I cant believe I just shook his freakin hand." an all time favorite quote of mine. The goalies even hated each other. Crawford screaming over the glass at Bowman, looking like he was going to have a heart attack on the ice.

God I loved hating them, the schedule would come out and I would look, picking out the Colorado games and looking forward to them as much as I looked forward to Christmas when I was a kid.

Isles/Rangers, the Flyers and Pens, Leafs and Habs, none can touch the Wings and Avalanche for the heat with which it burned for a bit less than a decade. None. I make no apologies for this statement, for the brief time that both were elite we even hated their writers for Gods sake. Hate is a strong word and a strong emotion, but it barely dents the surface of what these two teams had.

Roenick said that he heard the two teams were not attending functions together, that after all of this time the old vets, Shanny, Forsberg, Keane (God I hated Mike Keane) Vernon still bear the scars and the hatred for each other. Not certain of Roenick was speaking tongue in cheek but part of me does not doubt it.

I will watch the old timers on Friday, a bit sad as I see who went grey, who went bald, who got a belly. But it will be yesterday to me, seeing McCarty lumbering down the wing, seeing Maltby check a familiar Avalanche player. The clock will be turned back. The players will be smiling, happy to relive the past. I remember reading that ten years after the Little Big Horn they threw a wild raucous party at the site, all of the survivors from Benteen/Reno drinking right alongside the Indians, telling tales and lies and patting backs. It happens.

But if I see Draper and Lemieux posing for a selfie together, I think I will throw up a little in my mouth and turn the game off. There are wars and then there are wars.

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

But if I see Draper and Lemieux posing for a selfie together, I think I will throw up a little in my mouth and turn the game off. There are wars and then there are wars.

lol,  I was kinda surprised to see Dino and Savard go at it to start the game, staged in fun of course.  I really did expect Plett and Secord to go at it.  I couldn't stand Secord and Savard...There surely was no love fest with these two teams either.

But I can't see Draper and Lemieux  playing nice in the sandbox either on this one come Friday,  lol    There are players on both teams I liked and hated, nevertheless I'm looking forward to the matchup.  :hocky:

I heard Kris Draper spoke with Claude Lemieux recently from a business perspective.  The Red Wings drafted a player for whom he's he's currently agent.  It was unexpected but totally cool.  They didn't talk about "the hit" though.  Ironically enough, Lemieux has a longer history of appearances with Darren McCarty, signing autographs together and such.  You would think it would be McCarty that Lemieux would want to avoid.

I'm looking forward to watching this.  Like many many other people, I'm more interested in the alumni game than the other one.  Has anyone heard news about the alumni game schedule and TV channel?

2 hours ago, WingNut722 said:

I heard Kris Draper spoke with Claude Lemieux recently from a business perspective.  The Red Wings drafted a player for whom he's he's currently agent.  It was unexpected but totally cool.  They didn't talk about "the hit" though.  Ironically enough, Lemieux has a longer history of appearances with Darren McCarty, signing autographs together and such.  You would think it would be McCarty that Lemieux would want to avoid.

I'm looking forward to watching this.  Like many many other people, I'm more interested in the alumni game than the other one.  Has anyone heard news about the alumni game schedule and TV channel?

NHL Network, Friday night at 7pm. I am recording it and looking forward to it. Hope that someone finally drills Keane, lol.

I hated him because he always made smart comments to the press after the game and instead of fighting one of our big boys he always seemed to get matched up with Aaron Ward and Keane would get the better of him. Hoping Shanny cleans his clock. :ph34r:

@yave1964

I'm extremely surprised that Yzerman agreed to play, so close to the trade deadline and all (unless this is a sign that the Bolts have no real interest in trading and he just has nothing to do).  But after he hemmed and hawed for six months over the last alumni game for the WC15, he vowed never to do it again.  I guess he had more fun than he thought he did.

I'm actually a little bummed that Mickey Redmond won't be skating.  Nice to see him behind the bench and at least involved.  What a treat it would be to see a goal scored by Yzerman, assisted by Mickey and Lidstrom!

I doubt very much there will be any "fireworks", but I actually wouldn't be surprised to see something!

18 hours ago, yave1964 said:

NHL Network, Friday night at 7pm. I am recording it and looking forward to it. Hope that someone finally drills Keane, lol.

I hated him because he always made smart comments to the press after the game and instead of fighting one of our big boys he always seemed to get matched up with Aaron Ward and Keane would get the better of him. Hoping Shanny cleans his clock. :ph34r:

I do not get NHL Network. It is not offered by U-Verse. But I do have FSD. However, regular games are blacked out, and so most of the games I watch on NHL.tv. Only problem is, NHL.tv won't cover an alumni game, and I want to see it. I wonder if the blackout will be in effect for the alumni game tonight. I WILL BE PISSED IF IT IS!

Are there any other options for me in the event that it is blacked out?

1 hour ago, SpikeDDS said:

I do not get NHL Network. It is not offered by U-Verse. But I do have FSD. However, regular games are blacked out, and so most of the games I watch on NHL.tv. Only problem is, NHL.tv won't cover an alumni game, and I want to see it. I wonder if the blackout will be in effect for the alumni game tonight. I WILL BE PISSED IF IT IS!

Are there any other options for me in the event that it is blacked out?

FSD is running it live this evening, if it is blacked out live, it is replaying at I believe midnight on the same channel. I know from experience that there are times that the games are blacked out but the replay is not, so in that eventuality I am very certain that you could DVR the game at midnight as a last resort and enjoy it sometime this weekend. i usually DVR about everything anyway, I hate commericals.

23 hours ago, yave1964 said:

FSD is running it live this evening, if it is blacked out live, it is replaying at I believe midnight on the same channel. I know from experience that there are times that the games are blacked out but the replay is not, so in that eventuality I am very certain that you could DVR the game at midnight as a last resort and enjoy it sometime this weekend. i usually DVR about everything anyway, I hate commericals.

Only problem with Red Wings replays is that they edit them down to 2 hours. And they don't always edit out meaningless parts of games. They will edit out goals. They will edit out fights. Not intentionally or with purpose. Those events sometimes just happen to fall into the time that they need to cut. If the replays left the game intact and I just lost the intermission broadcasts, I wouldn't care, but I want to watch every minute of this one!

I'm with you. The pinnacle of hockey watching in my lifetime was the years that Colorado and the Red Wings came to Stanley Cup dominance. The rivalry, and how it manifested on the ice both in terms of level of play, tenacity, and downright violence is unequaled in my mind by any other rivalry. Of course, I'm admittedly biased on that, but I'll challenges anyone to find a rivalry that was as thrilling and entertaining as this one was.

That said, I appreciate the guys being able to put the past conflicts aside enough to appear together as McCarty and Lemieux have done. It doesn't mean that tension is absent. It's still there. But the fact is that despite their hatred for one another both on and off the ice, the truth is that they both made each other better, and neither team would have come close to the legend status that they now hold without the other.

AND--and you may disagree with me here--I think it is very important for young boys and young players to be able to see great players who hated one another put those feelings aside enough years after the conflict to acknowledge and display their mutual respect for their ability to play this game.

You NEVER forget, but forgiveness, respect for skilled play, and understanding transcend the hatred. I HATED Lemieux, but now I realize that he was a part of what made the Late 90's Red Wing era the Legend that it is even today.

To be honest, one of my favorite moments was the humbling of Patrick Roy with his Statue of Liberty pose.

Archived