Predicting Leafs 2016-17 line up.....

jammer2

On 3/26/2016 at 10:06 AM, BluPuk said:

I don't think Stamkos is in the picture at this point in the rebuild. It's simply too soon. 

However, trading the 1st overall pick to Zona is definitely a possibilty - whether it's the Leafs or someone else that gets it. Mattews is a great player, but he is not a franchise player. You could likely get a real good, young player out of Zona AND their first rounder.....nice. 

You trade it and get a few draft picks maybe a couple future 1st rounders!

Correct, IMHO as well, @WordsOfWisdom. Matthews is an unknown quantity IMO. He has never been tested against high level players - as a matter of fact he has avoided them all his career. Not saying he's a dud, but anyone drafting him is taking a chance. The rest in the draft are just OK - but not stars by any means and certainly not franchise players. BPA is Chychrun I think. Somebody got wise and his rating went up recently, to fourth, I believe. I would take him first if it were my call. He's a big tough defenseman in the mould of Doughty, but with better offensive skills. I'm hoping the Leafs get him....??

10 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Correct, IMHO as well, @WordsOfWisdom. Matthews is an unknown quantity IMO. He has never been tested against high level players - as a matter of fact he has avoided them all his career. Not saying he's a dud, but anyone drafting him is taking a chance. The rest in the draft are just OK - but not stars by any means and certainly not franchise players. BPA is Chychrun I think. Somebody got wise and his rating went up recently, to fourth, I believe. I would take him first if it were my call. He's a big tough defenseman in the mould of Doughty, but with better offensive skills. I'm hoping the Leafs get him....??

It's a shame that the Leafs are always the last NHL team to "clue in" to whatever system the NHL is implementing. The Leafs took a decade to figure out how the salary cap works, and it's taken them half a century to figure out how the NHL draft works.

In the time that the Leafs started missing the playoffs regularly (2005+), the Penguins, Blackhawks, Kings, Panthers, Islanders, Stars, Predators, Senators, Ducks, etc...... have all rebuilt their teams successfully from nothing. :sick:

• 4 months later...
On 4/25/2016 at 6:25 AM, BluPuk said:

I

Totally disagree. He's a guaranteed star. Plays a wicked down low game, generates a ton of power from his legs, is naturally faster than most of the league, can pick a corner with his eyes closed. In short, a cornerstone type of kid. Tons of leadership in him also, will stick up for smaller teammates. I see him scoring 70 pts as a rookie and never going under 90 after 3 years in the league.

17 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I

Totally disagree. He's a guaranteed star. Plays a wicked down low game, generates a ton of power from his legs, is naturally faster than most of the league, can pick a corner with his eyes closed. In short, a cornerstone type of kid. Tons of leadership in him also, will stick up for smaller teammates. I see him scoring 70 pts as a rookie and never going under 90 after 3 years in the league.

We're about to find out. He made the cover of The Hockey News Yearbook (without having played a game yet.) So, no pressure kid lol. :)

I'm going to keep my expectations firmly rooted in Leafs reality because he could be anything from a McDavid (unlikely) to a Yakupov (more likely). You never really know until they get to the NHL.

In his first season, I think he'll be hard pressed to bump Kadri or Bozak from the top line. I'd say a 40-50 point season is probably a realistic target in year one, if he stays healthy. I'm not expecting 70+ points any time soon.

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

We're about to find out. He made the cover of The Hockey News Yearbook (without having played a game yet.) So, no pressure kid lol. :)

I'm going to keep my expectations firmly rooted in Leafs reality because he could be anything from a McDavid (unlikely) to a Yakupov (more likely). You never really know until they get to the NHL.

In his first season, I think he'll be hard pressed to bump Kadri or Bozak from the top line. I'd say a 40-50 point season is probably a realistic target in year one, if he stays healthy. I'm not expecting 70+ points any time soon.

Matthews will pass Bozek on the depth chart by December. He's so much better than Yakapov it's not even funny. Matthews is an elite skater, Yakapov is very average skating wise. There are a few things in hockey you cannot teach, that is elite skating, vision and a rocket of a shot....those are things you basically have or don't. Yeah, you can improve them a bit, but a bad skater will never become a great skater....Matthews was born with those skills....and the intangibles of leadership and physicality. The kid is like a bull in a china shop...he can and will impose his will on you. In many ways he's like Crosby in that respect....he gets his power and drive from wicked leg strength. Not saying he is a Sid, but the similarities are there.

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Matthews will pass Bozek on the depth chart by December. He's so much better than Yakapov it's not even funny. Matthews is an elite skater, Yakapov is very average skating wise. There are a few things in hockey you cannot teach, that is elite skating, vision and a rocket of a shot....those are things you basically have or don't. Yeah, you can improve them a bit, but a bad skater will never become a great skater....Matthews was born with those skills....and the intangibles of leadership and physicality. The kid is like a bull in a china shop...he can and will impose his will on you. In many ways he's like Crosby in that respect....he gets his power and drive from wicked leg strength. Not saying he is a Sid, but the similarities are there.

At which point the Leafs will probably trade Bozak or Kadri near the deadline. Those two are basically being put on notice. :)

Side note: That would be one painful childbirth!  :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

Side note to the side note: My lame humour is lame. :eyeroll:

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2016 at 10:41 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

At which point the Leafs will probably trade Bozak or Kadri near the deadline. Those two are basically being put on notice. :)

Side note: That would be one painful childbirth!  :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

Side note to the side note: My lame humour is lame. :eyeroll:

Ouch!

On 9/15/2016 at 6:36 AM, BluPuk said:

I'm beginning to see the Matthews you guys are talking about - and I like....  :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

I'm really hoping he turns out to be our looong-awaited first line centre. :playing-hockey-smiley-emoticon:

I kind of hoping the Leafs change their strategy and get some wingers and dmen to help out! But then again I like the idea of beating up the Leafs!

Archived