Predicting Leafs 2016-17 line up.....

jammer2

Stumbled across the very cool Leafs article by Devin Slewson....never heard of him, but nice writing style and some nice research done by Devin. Very in depth and he explains his thought process quite well....enjoy Leaf fans!!  Article posted at hockeywriters.com....which is quickly becoming an awesome source of hockey stories. One of the very best sites out there IMHO....

http://thehockeywriters.com/predicting-the-leafs-lineup-for-2016-17/

How about that second line he predicts....that is the stuff (SHUDDER) that championship teams build around.....3 WICKED cornerstones, should the Matthews thing come true.

I very much doubt that the Leafs will pick first in the draft - not that they will not finish last, they certainly might, but because the NHL decided this was the year they would DRASTICALLY alter the odds of the bottom teams getting the first pick. The odds are actually that they will not get the first pick (typical Leafs luck). So there goes Matthews, although I'm not sure he will go first anyway.

Marner and Nylander are smurf size and I would hope would not play on the same line. I also think Marner will not make the team out of junior.

There has to be room somewhere for some grit. I think Freddie Gauthier will be on the team.....

I certainly hope we will not have that many ahl'ers in our line-up.

:)

The proposed "D" is scary..... as in scary bad!  :o

When you take an already bad group of defencemen (that had Phaneuf and Polak) and you remove the two best guys (Phaneuf and Polak), what you're left with is the NHL's worst 6-man defensive unit. 

I hope (more than ever now) that the Leafs forget about Matthews and sign a #1 defenceman. 

50 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The proposed "D" is scary..... as in scary bad!  :o

When you take an already bad group of defencemen (that had Phaneuf and Polak) and you remove the two best guys (Phaneuf and Polak), what you're left with is the NHL's worst 6-man defensive unit. 

I hope (more than ever now) that the Leafs forget about Matthews and sign a #1 defenceman. 

Right on...

My opinion:

Goalie; sparks and whoever. Bernier gone like a cool breeze.

Defense: Reilly, Gardiner, Carrick, Valiev, loov and a veteran puck mover. Very young and inexperienced, but some talent. Marincin as the seventh guy.T.J. Brennan leads the Marlies in scoring. The Leafs wont notice.

Forwards:

Center: Kadri, Nylander, Laich and Gauthier. Bozak gone to someone like Calgary. Really not a bad bunch.

Wingers: Matthews, Komarov, Parenteau, Soshnikov, Kapanen, Hyman, Holland and pray. Matthews with the number one pick. Of course that is if the ping pong balls don't give it to Edmonton again.......Michalek in there too i guess.

Still a few years away but a lot of the kids got used to Babs system this year in the minors and a taste of the NHL and will play regular shifts next year. If they do add Matthews it gives them another nice building block.

GONE:

Bernier, Bozak, Grabner, Boyes and Corrado.

Just off the top of my head, from an old grizzled Wings fan.

One thing, Babcock has a long history of preferring vets to kids which held true until the last few years in Detroit when the kids more or less forced their way in the lineup and a mountain of evidence piled up that Cleary, rafalski and Bertuzzi among others simply could not play anymore. Looking at my projected lineup for the Leafs if they get Matthews I see half the team as kids, at least. Wonder how he will deal with that.

Babcock will have to play whoever Lou and Shanny and the rest provide him with. I think he gets a say, but it is just one voice, no more.

Personally, I think the Leafs could be in the play-off picture next season, but that's just me.....;) 

So question for my fellow Leaf fans.

So if the Leafs land the 1st pick do they select Matthews or trade it to Arizona for OEL and more and then try to steal Stamkos???

Thoughts or opinions welcome.

I don't think Stamkos is in the picture at this point in the rebuild. It's simply too soon. 

However, trading the 1st overall pick to Zona is definitely a possibilty - whether it's the Leafs or someone else that gets it. Mattews is a great player, but he is not a franchise player. You could likely get a real good, young player out of Zona AND their first rounder.....nice. 

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

You could likely get a real good, young player out of Zona AND their first rounder.....nice. 

That is why i was saying OEL to me any trade for the 1st would start with a Dman with his skill set! And Auston is from Arizona too they would be desperate for him.

On 24/03/2016 at 10:43 AM, yave1964 said:

Goalie; sparks and whoever. Bernier gone like a cool breeze.

Bernier: Gone the day after the season ends. ie: Released.

Sparks: Not ready for the NHL. Appears to be in over his head.

CONCLUSION: Leafs will sign a veteran goalie this summer. (Not a #1 guy per say, but just someone that won't embarrass themselves in net.)

On 24/03/2016 at 10:43 AM, yave1964 said:

GONE:

Bernier, Bozak, Grabner, Boyes and Corrado.

Also gone:

• Lupul
  • Robidas
  • Parenteau

On 26/03/2016 at 9:42 AM, OccamsRazor said:

So question for my fellow Leaf fans.

So if the Leafs land the 1st pick do they select Matthews or trade it to Arizona for OEL and more and then try to steal Stamkos???

Thoughts or opinions welcome.

Matthews is a center correct?  I could imagine the Leafs selecting him and then trading either him or someone else on the roster for help elsewhere. Example: Sign Matthews and trade Bozak or Kadri. Or perhaps select Matthews and immediately trade him to Arizona for the Coyotes's first round pick + a player off their current roster. Whatever happens, the Leafs want to be drafting #1, that way they have options. This recent foolish winning streak of theirs is killing their future.  :-(

On 26/03/2016 at 10:06 AM, BluPuk said:

I don't think Stamkos is in the picture at this point in the rebuild. It's simply too soon. 

Agreed. The timing is all wrong for a player like Stamkos

The Leafs needed him about five years ago when they should have blown things up, collected draft picks, and drafted him. The opportunity has since been lost. 

Sadly for the Leafs, they are going to have to do something they've never done before: Make their own Stamkos.

Oddly enough, I have already said that we should do exactly that if we get the first pick (doubtful though). I'm sure Zona would dearly love to have Matthews on their team since he is an Arizonian. I can't see the Leafs having any use for him (at this stage) on our side, other than as a possible box-office attraction, which we also don't need. We could trade the #1pick to Zona and get a player as well as their first rounder. Makes sense to me. 

Just because it's the most stupid thing ever......

I'm guessing that Edmonton will get the #1 pick again. They will draft Matthews. Bettman will shart in his pants while putting on his best fake smile for SportsNet's cameras. Meanwhile, the Leafs will manage to avoid all the talent and will draft players that never play even one game in the NHL. 

The Oilers will pay Gretzky $10m per season to coach and will hire Messier as GM. They will of course manage to finish 30th next season as well, just because it's what they do.  :hocky:

11 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Just because it's the most stupid thing ever......

I'm guessing that Edmonton will get the #1 pick again. They will draft Matthews. Bettman will shart in his pants while putting on his best fake smile for SportsNet's cameras. Meanwhile, the Leafs will manage to avoid all the talent and will draft players that never play even one game in the NHL. 

The Oilers will pay Gretzky $10m per season to coach and will hire Messier as GM. They will of course manage to finish 30th next season as well, just because it's what they do.  :hocky:

Mwahahahahaha. So true, WOW, so true....

On April 2, 2016 at 11:17 AM, notfondajane said:

don't forget the Leafs have Pittsburgh's 1st round pick this year! You always could trade that to the Coyotes! Or give it back to the Pens!

Why didn't we think of that!!  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Too funny.

I notice that there's also a Leaf's defenceman standing there doing nothing. :BrownBag:

What do a Leafs fan and a Leafs defenceman have in common?   :)

They both get to stand and watch amazingly talented hockey players doing their thing.   

(buh da chaa) ;)

Archived