Detroit Red Wings year in review

yave1964

PRESEASON OUTLOOK: Lots of new faces, starting with a new coach in Blashill replacing iconic Mike Babcock, kids galore led by Dylan Larkin and newcomers included Stanley Cup winning Brad th?id=OIP.Me7aebe60d207870722d4f67ba001a Richards and offensive defenseman Mike Green had the team optimistic

FINAL RECORD: 41-30-11 93 points 3rd in the Division. Lost in first round to Tampa.

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR: Henrik Zetterberg scored 14 points in the short month of October, more than he scored between November and December combined. Z also had multiple point games in the first three games of the season and then only 6 such games the rest of the year. He had a 5 game point streak to start the year and his next highest was 3 games which he only hit once.

Also, Jimmy Howard went Oh for December, January and almost February, losing all 11 starts in those three months until he won on leap day.

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR: They were involved in a fun wild matinee game against the Bruins on Valentines day. Petr Mrazek who had been oh so good to that point was playing as if he were hungover (it was his birthday) giving up one softie after another, but the offense exploded and the Wings held on to win 6-5. They were on a fun 4-0-1 run and were sitting at 29-18-9 and looking great.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR: It turned out that Mrazek lost confidence and the Wings stumbled from then on badly, losing 9 of the next 14. Howard became the defacto goalie around that time, and the Wings did manage to (sort of) right the ship, making the postseason only to lose in 5 games to the Lightning who bested the Wings now two years in a row. And before the postseason Datsyuk announced that he wants to go home to Russia.

WHAT WENT RIGHT: Dylan Larkin (23-22-45) led the team in goals and was a shot in the arm. Justin Abdelkader (19-23-42 and a team leading 207 hits) was a solid performer. Petr Mrazek in spite of a late season slide was very solid with a record of 27-16-6 and a goals against of 2.37. Mike Green was decent in his first year. Danny Dekeyser was good, Luke Glendening was a solid checking forward. Sadly, that is about it. Oh, Andreas th?id=OIP.M27021f9f1d5dc057c112d9a4c8fe9 Athanasiou played 5 minutes a night but was usually the most dangerous player on the ice when out there.

WHAT WENT WRONG: The entire offense went south. Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Tatar, Kronwall and Nyquist were down by a combined 39 goals from the previous year. Kronner in particular played like a shell of his former self. Ericsson was dreadful for much of the year. Jimmy Howard was wretched. Richards helped the power play but not enough. Drew Miller missed most of the year. Youngsters Pulkinnen and Jurco were expected to step up and both sucked. Johan Franzen declared himself concussion free, played the first two games and then was gone for the year.

MVP: I guess if I had to call anyone the MVP I would go th?id=OIP.M528bda94ce4d6f7a0fe2d92c69438 Larkin although he did cool off considerably the second half of the season.

FREE AGENTS: Lots of decisions to make..

Pavel Datsyuk is not technichally a free agent he has a year to go on his contract but he intends to renege and return to Russia.

Darren Helm was very disatisfied with how he was used and will likely move on.

Drew Miller is on the wrong side of 30 and coming off a serious injury but can still kill penalties and says he would like to return.

Joakim Andersson has already signed to play in Sweden proving that there is a God.

Brad Richards was okay on the power play but bad 5 on 5 the wings have hinted that he will not be invited back.

Kyle Quincey wants to return to the Wings bottom pair on defense but the Wings may not have the cap room for him.

TOP PROSPECTS:

Xavier Oullett will almost certainly take Quincey's spot in the rotation. Anthony th?id=OIP.M7731ffd47a8fa959a6b7380440ed9 Mantha and his massive frame will be handed a top six role. Pulkinnen will be given another shot to provide offense and prove that he is not just an AHL scorer. Tyler Bertuzzi will likely be given a role on the 4th line replacing Miller, he is a rugged performer. Evgeny Svechnikov will be in the AHL but might make it to Detroit along with some solid offense. Decent amount of prospects fighting for playing time. Oh, and Robbie Russo will be the first defensive callup when they face injury, he led the Griffins by a mile in plus/minus.

OFFSEASON QUESTIONS: Whither Pavel? Does he honor his contract or go back to Russia? Are the Wings serious about exploring a move fortroubled  Alexander Radulov? Zetterberg and Kronwall had poor years, is there any chance that at their age they bounce back? can second year head coach Blashill get more from his players?

@yave1964

You know I've been patiently waiting for this article!

No to Radulov!!  We'll in all likelihood lose our favorite Russian but he doesn't need to be replaced with this guy.  He's a loose cannon, and was spotty (but okay) in his performance with Nashville, but that was 5 years ago.  The Wings can do better.  They are not THAT desperate.

Another high point of the year was Mrazek's league leading Goals against average for a little while.  Even a few premature mutterings about the Vezina.  He may have been a declared finalist if he held on.

Local press reads that there is open discussion on the possibility of trading Jimmy Howard and Tomas Tatar.  Whether there are buyers remains to be seen.  There are decent free agents to be had in the offensive department, but the Wings need cap room, especially to re-hire the likes of DeKeyser, Sheahan and Mrazek, who, despite RFA status, will still expect some big increases.  They're all eligible for arbitration too, if an agreement can't be reached.  If Tatar and/or Nyquist are moved in the offseason, expect Brad Richards to be extended an offer again.  Holland & Co. will probably fish the open market but I would bet about two weeks later, Richards will accept another season in Detroit.  The Wings still need his experience and assistance on the power play, and while they didn't get $3MM worth out of him this season, he didn't play bad.  Pretty much the same goes for Quincey.

Looking forward to seeing the kids come up.  It's a speed game these days, and the puck possession style of the 90's and early 2000's is just not cutting it anymore when our forwards can be knocked off the puck so easily.

One thing's for sure though, the Red Wings are now squarely in the "Sellers" category

@yave1964 @WingNut722

Pretty good summation. LOVE the "proving that there is a God" line!

Regarding Radulov, I might be a bit more open to trying it IF Datsyuk was staying around to lead him. He will not stay around. He is gone, and I don't trust anyone else enough to be able to keep him straight. Heck, Dats may not have been able to do it, but I might have tried if he was gonna be around. But it was only for a year anyway. So, no thank you.

I also think my MVP award might go to Mrazek even though he disappeared toward the end. No way in heck we make the SCPs without his performance for the first 2/3 of the season. Larkin also kinda disappeared, not as much as Mrazek, but Larkin also wasn't in the top 2 in the league for his position at any time like Petr was. MVP could go either way. Larkin's not a bad choice--certainly a close second for me--but I think Mrazek had more influence on continuing the streak than Larkin did. Imagine how bad we would have been without Mrazek Vs. without Larkin. Howard in goal for the whole season vs. replacing Larkin with AA? Not even close.

My greatest hope, moving forward, is that this team actually starts to give players that actually deserve playing time more playing time and sitting players who are not pulling their weight. I don't care whether we are looking at Z or AA or Ericsson or Kronwall. Let the players who play well play MORE! Even under Babs, this seemed to be an ignored principle many times. If we continue to ignore this, it will be the end of next year's season. Veterans cannot play just because they are veterans--or Swedes--anymore.

You mentioned the offense went south, but the PP went practically Antarctic!! Moving forward, bringing someone in who can right the PP will be key, even if it just gets it back up to AVERAGE! This will likely be a key element in Blash's survival. Choose carefully Blash, because that seat of yours will heat up FAST if the PP stays dismal at the beginning of the season. This may be the most important position we can fill in the off-season.

I agree with Nut that we may end up with Quincey just because there are no better options for the money. We basically got him back for the same reason, and to be fair to KH, Quincey has proven him right. Not that he has been spectacular, but he has been relatively solid, and the play of the rest of the D core, with the exception of DK, made him look good. History has a tendency to repeat itself. I wouldn't be surprised if Quincey ended up staying around. That wouldn't be the worst thing to me.

To be honest, I think this is KH's litmus test this offseason. If he can't or doesn't improve this club by moving pieces, the tide will turn against him, and he will be forced into promotion to give the GM duties to someone else. More and more, the blame is shifting in his direction. It's only a matter of time before the fans and media start calling for his head if there isn't any gain this off-season. It's really been too long since he made a good deal, and not just a good effort. The results lately have been, well, unconvincing.

Step one will be to take control of the dressing room and supporting Blashill if he is their guy. If the players think they are less irreplaceable than the coach, this goes south quickly. It's time for him to respectfully show any players who might be thinking otherwise who the bosses really are. Like coaches should use the bench to discourage poor play, KH needs to use the door.

For me, one of the more positive things to look forward to is the development of AA. I have been VERY pleased and at times surprised at his skill level. I saw him do things with the puck that I haven't seen Larkin do, nor anyone else on the team excepting Pav in his prime. We need this kid playing serious minutes.

The combination of Larkin's and AA's speed and with it the ability to draw penalties will make improving the PP all the more important. What good will drawing penalties do if we waste the PPs that these guys earn for us?

One word of warning: Be carfeful of the PK. We are likely losing Miller, Andersson (his only real positive role), and Helm. That leaves a big hole to fill. AA may be a decent fill for some of that, but he's only one guy. We need others to step in there. Frankly, I'm concerned about who is going to do that. Glendening will return, and Abby too, but if any of those guys are in the box serving a penalty, it gets pretty thin pretty fast.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2016 at 11:50 AM, yave1964 said:

Kyle Quincey wants to return to the Wings bottom pair on defense but the Wings may not have the cap room for him.

A replacement???

The Case For the Red Wings to Trade for Tyson Barrie

usa-today-9238935.0.jpg

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2016/5/30/11808618/the-case-for-the-red-wings-to-trade-for-tyson-barrie

What the hey it's a slow time so might as well discuss everything....this would be a good pickup i think but what would the cost be???

I cannot believe the Avalanche would even consider moving him, they need offense from the back end. it makes no sense.

my concern is he is smallish and plays a non physical game, if we add Barrie we would need another move for a rugged nasty blueliner as well. lots of them available in free agency.

Again I do not understand why Colorado would trade him, what they want, Tatar or NYquist and a defensive prospect going back, maybe Oullet or Marchenko. with trepidation because of his finess style we have to do the deal.Personally I give the farm for Shattenkirk first or try to sign Yandle second with Barrie the third option.

What is needed for next year?

Cap space via trading Howard and Datsyuk (if he doesn't back).

A very good physical defenseman or two.

A big strong rough forward.  This has so little net front presence that teams go out their way to stop shots from outside.  As much as like Stamkos he's not the type needed.

An Andrew Ladd type forward.

But none of my dreamlist can happen if point one (Howard's contract the gift that keeps on giving) doesn't happen.

@Old School Hockey

The Wings seem to have a plan, building a coaching staff. Replacing long time goalie coach Jim Bedard with the personal goalie coach for Mrazek is a brilliant move, bringing in long time Wings defenseman Doug Houda to maximize the potential from the back end and now it looks as if they are close to getting Dave Cameron who was given permission by Ottawa to talk to the Wings. Seriously, this is all non ice stuff but it is all good so far.

Then we traded a 3rd for a guy who was projected to go early second from the Sharks if he reentered the draft. Good move.\

Now it looks as if Radulov very well may end up in Detroit which would mean Nyquist would be gone. Rumors that I have read are Nyquist for Brassard in New York is being discussed. Radulov is being offered a fair amount on a one year deal to prove himself which would be a smart move.

At the least it looks as if the Wings will be agressive.

As for moving Howard, it will be difficult to put it mildly. His contract is a killer,. there are better options available to teams among the free agents who will be cheaper. The Wings may make it happen but it so we will have to eat oodles of salary.

But with the salary of Quincey, Richards, Helm, Miller, ect.. coming off the books we will be able to be agressive. Kids like Oullet and Bertuzzi seem locks to make the team and they alone replacing Quincey and Richards save 6 million a year.

So cap wise, we can make noise with or without trading Datsyuks contract or finding a fool to take Howard. Those two moves would simply be icing on the cake.

I would like to see:

NYquist for Brassard. Or Stepan, both are on the market.

Radulov on a short term deal.

Sign Yandle.

Trade Howard even if we eat massive amounts of money and promote Jared Coreau as the backup.

Maybe make a move for Frans Neilson who is the most underrated player in Hockey. 50 points a year, 20 goals, like punching a clock as a middle six center.

If we make 80 percent of that happen I would be thrilled.

11 hours ago, yave1964 said:

@Old School Hockey

The Wings seem to have a plan, building a coaching staff. Replacing long time goalie coach Jim Bedard with the personal goalie coach for Mrazek is a brilliant move, bringing in long time Wings defenseman Doug Houda to maximize the potential from the back end and now it looks as if they are close to getting Dave Cameron who was given permission by Ottawa to talk to the Wings. Seriously, this is all non ice stuff but it is all good so far.

Then we traded a 3rd for a guy who was projected to go early second from the Sharks if he reentered the draft. Good move.\

Now it looks as if Radulov very well may end up in Detroit which would mean Nyquist would be gone. Rumors that I have read are Nyquist for Brassard in New York is being discussed. Radulov is being offered a fair amount on a one year deal to prove himself which would be a smart move.

At the least it looks as if the Wings will be agressive.

As for moving Howard, it will be difficult to put it mildly. His contract is a killer,. there are better options available to teams among the free agents who will be cheaper. The Wings may make it happen but it so we will have to eat oodles of salary.

But with the salary of Quincey, Richards, Helm, Miller, ect.. coming off the books we will be able to be agressive. Kids like Oullet and Bertuzzi seem locks to make the team and they alone replacing Quincey and Richards save 6 million a year.

So cap wise, we can make noise with or without trading Datsyuks contract or finding a fool to take Howard. Those two moves would simply be icing on the cake.

I would like to see:

NYquist for Brassard. Or Stepan, both are on the market.

Radulov on a short term deal.

Sign Yandle.

Trade Howard even if we eat massive amounts of money and promote Jared Coreau as the backup.

Maybe make a move for Frans Neilson who is the most underrated player in Hockey. 50 points a year, 20 goals, like punching a clock as a middle six center.

If we make 80 percent of that happen I would be thrilled.

As you well know I've been a fan since the before the Darkness of Harkness.

Here's deal IMHO.

Radulov?  That's a HUGE gamble.

Young blood?  While I like them, teams don't win with young players.

Howard?  I don't care if the Wings have to eat $5,399,000.00 of his $5,400,000.00 contract, he needs to go.  he cost the Wings AT LEAST 10 points last year.

Nyquist trade?  These types of trades always find a way to hurt the team.  See Hudler.

Miller?  He needs to be brought back if fully healthy.  Was it coincidence the PK sucked without him last year?

Yandle?  This team can't attract players any longer.  But that has to be Holland's job is to get them here.

Coaching?  The moves are good.  I'm not sold on Blash without a great set of assistant coaches.

So at the end of the day they need a BIG power forward and strong defense.

1 hour ago, Old School Hockey said:

As you well know I've been a fan since the before the Darkness of Harkness.

Here's deal IMHO.

Radulov?  That's a HUGE gamble.

Young blood?  While I like them, teams don't win with young players.

Howard?  I don't care if the Wings have to eat $5,399,000.00 of his $5,400,000.00 contract, he needs to go.  he cost the Wings AT LEAST 10 points last year.

Nyquist trade?  These types of trades always find a way to hurt the team.  See Hudler.

Miller?  He needs to be brought back if fully healthy.  Was it coincidence the PK sucked without him last year?

Yandle?  This team can't attract players any longer.  But that has to be Holland's job is to get them here.

Coaching?  The moves are good.  I'm not sold on Blash without a great set of assistant coaches.

So at the end of the day they need a BIG power forward and strong defense.

I agree that Radulov is a gamble.  He's a loose cannon and been out of the NHL for too long (not that he was even in the NHL for any half-decent tenure).  I understand he's looking for a two-year deal which I doubt the Wings will give him.

Aside from that, I like the moves that have been made so far.  It seems Holland is reading the writing on the wall and really starting to move on this.  All of the moves to date have happened before the Stanley Cup Finals even commenced.  It looks like they're planning on a very busy summer.  

I think it's fair to say that Datsyuk is gone, even though he hasn't officially declared it yet.  It also seems likely that Howard COULD be traded if some salary is retained.  He's not THAT bad of a goalie.  So throw a number.  Would you retain, say, $2MM in salary, provided the Wings received adequate players in return?  That's $9.5MM in retained salary for available spots at center and a backup goaltender.  The Red Wings right now, without inviting any UFA's back, have $13.1MM in cap room (according to CapFiendly).  Add in nearly $4MM in space if Franzen can be convinced to retire, another $4.75MM is Nyquist is dealt, and $3.3MM for Howard's traded contract.  I'm not even including Tatar's $2.75MM cap hit, but I will subtract about $2.7MM in entry level contracts for 4 call-ups (three forwards and one defender; assuming $675,000 for each).  That's $22.45MM to get some better players.  So this is your shopping list (NOT arranged according to any skating lines)

Zetterberg... [AVAILABLE]... Abdelkader

Tatar...Larkin...Jurco

Glendening...Sheahan...Pulkkinen

Athanasiou...Mantha...[CALLUP]

[CALLUP]...[CALLUP]...[NYQUIST TRADE]

Green...Kronwall

Ericsson...Smith

DeKeyser...Marchenko

[CALLUP]...[AVAILABLE]

Mrazek

[HOWARD TRADE]

That's a full rack of players with an an extra complete forward and defense line for substitutes.  So that's $22.45 MM in cap space for four players.  Assuming Howard and Nyquist are traded one-for-one, in kind, subtract both their current cap hits ($10MM) and you're left with $12.45MM to go get three of your favorite free agents.

@Old School Hockey

Good assessment, I would have to disagree with Nyquist, if we sign Radulov that leaves us an overabundance of top nine wingers, Nike, Tatar, Mantha, Radulov, Abdelkader, Pulkinnen, and Z who clearly has seen his better days at center and is much better suited on the wing. Somene would have to go. Nyke would bring in a 2C value wise, which we really need.

I would love to see Larkin at center, preferably in the 2C role and someone like Brassard bridging the gap until Lark can move up a notch. Is he ideal? No, of course not but he is better than what we have.

As for Miller, everyone in here is fond of him, my gut says he is retained but he was very average even before the injury last year. Keeping him may not be the positive that everyone assumes, a guy in his thirties playing a young mans game coming off an injury is a risk.

Helm is not discussed much. I think it is foregone that he moves on. He played middle six minutes last year and was a waste of a roster spot. But Helm moving on may force us to sign Miller. I just dont want it to be to the detriment of Athanasiou.Or Tyler bertuzzi who was brilliant playing nasty hard minutes in the postseason, I watched every Griffin game save one in the postseason and more often than not Little Bert was the Griffins best player. His time is now, IMHO.

@WingNut722 on defense Oullet must be considered as well as Ryan Sproul who are both out of options, if we attempt to send them down they must clear waivers and the odds are both would be claimed. Not studs, Oullet a buit more polished defensively and Sproul a hard and low, accurate point shot, both have weaknesses but who does'nt at this point.

So we are looking at Kronner, Big E, Green, Smith, Marchenko, Oullet, Sproul and Dekeyser. Eight defenseman none of whom can be sent down without the very real risk of losing whoever it might be.

Ericsson is untradable coming off a rotten wretched season, Kronwall and Green arent gong anywhere for other reasons. Dekeyser, if we trade him @SpikeDDS would drive to Detroit and put Kenny Holland in a dentist chair and pull his molars with no Novocaine. The three kids, Marchenko, Oullet and Sproul we owe it to them to find out what we have.

IMHO that leaves one of my favorites, a kid I have watched in college since the Wings drafted him, Brendan Smith. He improved last year and quit taking bonehead penalties but was still nothing more than an average NHL defender. He may have to be sacrificed in the name of youth. Just like Lilja or Lebda was moved out for him. It is the way the game is played. Coming of a decent year he may even have some value. some, not much but some is better than none.

If we can use some of the money to sign Yandle all bets are off, sorry Sproul, good luck in Winnipeg or wherever you land. I would, in that case go with Oullet because he is the better defensive player and with Yandle bringing offense to the back end defense is what we would need.

Long winded, sorry guys, just my two cents and an extra nickel too.

@yave1964

Extraction forceps available if needed! ;-D

Actually NO ONE, except maybe Larkin, is untradeable. It would depend heavily on what we GOT for DDK. It would need to be a lot or the anesthetic syringe stays in the drawer!

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

@Old School Hockey

Good assessment, I would have to disagree with Nyquist, if we sign Radulov that leaves us an overabundance of top nine wingers, Nike, Tatar, Mantha, Radulov, Abdelkader, Pulkinnen, and Z who clearly has seen his better days at center and is much better suited on the wing. Somene would have to go. Nyke would bring in a 2C value wise, which we really need.

I would love to see Larkin at center, preferably in the 2C role and someone like Brassard bridging the gap until Lark can move up a notch. Is he ideal? No, of course not but he is better than what we have.

As for Miller, everyone in here is fond of him, my gut says he is retained but he was very average even before the injury last year. Keeping him may not be the positive that everyone assumes, a guy in his thirties playing a young mans game coming off an injury is a risk.

Helm is not discussed much. I think it is foregone that he moves on. He played middle six minutes last year and was a waste of a roster spot. But Helm moving on may force us to sign Miller. I just dont want it to be to the detriment of Athanasiou.Or Tyler bertuzzi who was brilliant playing nasty hard minutes in the postseason, I watched every Griffin game save one in the postseason and more often than not Little Bert was the Griffins best player. His time is now, IMHO.

@WingNut722 on defense Oullet must be considered as well as Ryan Sproul who are both out of options, if we attempt to send them down they must clear waivers and the odds are both would be claimed. Not studs, Oullet a buit more polished defensively and Sproul a hard and low, accurate point shot, both have weaknesses but who does'nt at this point.

So we are looking at Kronner, Big E, Green, Smith, Marchenko, Oullet, Sproul and Dekeyser. Eight defenseman none of whom can be sent down without the very real risk of losing whoever it might be.

Ericsson is untradable coming off a rotten wretched season, Kronwall and Green arent gong anywhere for other reasons. Dekeyser, if we trade him @SpikeDDS would drive to Detroit and put Kenny Holland in a dentist chair and pull his molars with no Novocaine. The three kids, Marchenko, Oullet and Sproul we owe it to them to find out what we have.

IMHO that leaves one of my favorites, a kid I have watched in college since the Wings drafted him, Brendan Smith. He improved last year and quit taking bonehead penalties but was still nothing more than an average NHL defender. He may have to be sacrificed in the name of youth. Just like Lilja or Lebda was moved out for him. It is the way the game is played. Coming of a decent year he may even have some value. some, not much but some is better than none.

If we can use some of the money to sign Yandle all bets are off, sorry Sproul, good luck in Winnipeg or wherever you land. I would, in that case go with Oullet because he is the better defensive player and with Yandle bringing offense to the back end defense is what we would need.

Long winded, sorry guys, just my two cents and an extra nickel too.

Let's be clear Nyquist is 1000000x better than Pulkkinen!

Pulks can't hit the net and is NOT hockey smart.

“A number of teams are interested in Alex Radulov no question about that, including Detroit,” TSN’s Darren Dreger said on Insider Trading. “The belief is the Red Wings are comfortable at a one-year deal at around $4 million, but a couple of sources have indicated he wants two years as $7.5 million per.”

HA! Good luck!!!

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/06/04/report-alexander-radulov-wants-a-lot-of-money-to-come-back-to-the-nhl/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

On 6/4/2016 at 6:05 PM, OccamsRazor said:

“A number of teams are interested in Alex Radulov no question about that, including Detroit,” TSN’s Darren Dreger said on Insider Trading. “The belief is the Red Wings are comfortable at a one-year deal at around $4 million, but a couple of sources have indicated he wants two years as $7.5 million per.”

HA! Good luck!!!

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/06/04/report-alexander-radulov-wants-a-lot-of-money-to-come-back-to-the-nhl/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

That's what Pavel Datsyuk is making.  Does this guy really have the "pucks" to think he deserves that kind of money??

Archived