Analysis of Play Vs. Washington

Howie58

Here is an interesting take on our play against Washington.  

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/5/4/11584048/philadelphia-flyers-washington-capitals-nhl-playoffs-zone-entry-analysis

Our five-on-five wasn't terrible but the Caps really too the war to the O and B in the neutral zone.  Sam Gagner was the only forward to attack well in the Caps zone.  Our first line was a disaster.  My other takeaway is that shot blocking is great but can't compensate for containment.  I might go a step further and say these numbers speak to our reliance on strong goaltending and defense to win games...Hexy knows we need more scoring.  These stats speak to a very offensively challenged squad with a D (except for Ghost) that can't help.  Gudas' numbers aren't so hot on that score.

Howie

Shot blocking is great, but it's better if the opponent can't even take the shot. One thing I've wondered about guys with great block numbers is why does the opponent have that many opportunities? 

49 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Shot blocking is great, but it's better if the opponent can't even take the shot. One thing I've wondered about guys with great block numbers is why does the opponent have that many opportunities? 

Dear AJ:

Yep...along your lines, shot blocking is the next-to-last D of last resort.  This analysis really makes you think about control of play.  And I guess the numbers show we have some weakness.  By the way, Donnellon's post in today Inquirer speaks to the offensive shortcoming and ties it to the eight shootout losses.  Some of us have been saying all along that the folks we draft/acquire may be mucker/grinders rather than break-the-back types. These analytics are interesting. They may say another thing...Hakstol had done a lo to mold the clay he was given.  He has to play a defensive shell to win with this crew.

Howie

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Shot blocking is great, but it's better if the opponent can't even take the shot.

Yes when ready Morin's long reach with stick extended will come in handy blocking shots and getting in the shooting lanes...not to mention his physical presence around the net protecting the goaltender. In time.

Archived