Guy Boucher new Senators coach

yave1964

Guy Guy Boucher est l'entraîneur-chef du CP Berne dans... (Photo Daniel ... Boucher, one of the top young minds in pro Hockey was unemployed for too long. After being interviewed and passed over for the toronto and Buffalo jobs last year Boucher has found a home as the newest coach of the Ottawa Senators.

It will be an interesting mix, Boucher now takes over a run and gun offense and a team that pays little attention to the back end, he is a defense first coach. If they blend well it could be a great hire.

I like it although the personel do not exactly mesh with his style.

Another coaching "Wow"!

First, Boudreau in Minnesota, now former Bolts coach Guy Boucher (whom I thought ALWAYS got a bad rap....the man is brilliant, ahead of his time...and hopefully, has adjusted some of his approaches to better suit a long NHL career!).

Anyways, congrats @ScottM , I think given Ottawa's somewhat uncertain future, and the eclectic mixe of vets and young players on your team, I think you have the RIGHT coach (yes, better than Boudreau) for the Senators.

A man who oftentimes thinks 'outside the box' (even though he is criticized for it), and a man who can certainly make the most of any given set of players.

I would think his first stint as TB coach, the reasons he was let go from the team, time to think about tweaking his approach, and his subsequent run as a coach in the Swiss league then getting let go there would serve to make him a better coach overall.

He has often said he wanted to make his way back to the NHL...an opportunity NOT to be taken for granted.

You can bet he will do all he can to make the most of that chance with Ottawa.

One thing though:

Any Senators players with low IQ's may not be around much longer. Most of Boucher's systems and ideas revolve around the idea of a player being creative, hockey smart, and highly adaptable.

Funny though...I always thought Paul MacLean's styles were that as well.....

I think this could work, assuming they pull off the blend as @yave1964 suggested. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I think it's vital to the team that he let Karlsson be Karlsson. At the same time, maybe he can do something with the hot mess that is a significant part of our blue line. I think he could absolutely be a great coach for a two-way guy like Mark Stone. And maybe he can help continue Hoffman's development.

@TropicalFruitGirl26 I hope you're correct that some guys will be shipping out. Some of the guys we've been counting on are dead weight, and I hope he'll have enough sway with the front office to make some moves. In some areas, we need an overhaul, and I hope they'll let him do it. I'm a little iffy on this one because of the end in Tampa Bay, but if I said that first season didn't give me some hope, I'd be lying. If he did learn his lesson and learn what worked for him and what didn't, this could be a beautiful thing. Let's just hope the team gives him enough time to prove it.

Ugh!!  I hope he left the 1-3-1 :sleep:back in Switzerland. 

Since we were just making fun of Uncle Fester in the Boudreau thread all I have to say is...."Say hello to my little friend"

hqdefault.jpg

3 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

Ugh!!  I hope he left the 1-3-1 :sleep:back in Switzerland. 

Since we were just making fun of Uncle Fester in the Boudreau thread all I have to say is...."Say hello to my little friend"

hqdefault.jpg

Boucher is MORE than just a 'sit back and wait' type coach.

I realize it's in vogue to remember him and bash him for that, but let's not forget that it was Mr. Laviolette who ultimately proved he just didn't have an answer for Boucher when HIS team had the puck and he decided to have his guys hide behind the goal net with it.

I am sure he won't employ the 1-3-1 so long as the other team doesn't do anything half baked like Laviolette did. :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

After all...team with the puck is supposed to drive the play--- unless they feel so confounded by the defender's positioning that they feel a stare down is in their best interest.

Archived