Pens' Expansion Draft Plans

MurrayHBK

WHO THE PENS SHOULD PROTECT FOR THE EXPANSION DRAFT

First of all, you can either protect 7 skaters and 1 goalie or 5 offense and 3 defense, 1 goalie.

I think the Pens should protect 5 offense, 3 defense, 1 goalie.

Offense

Sidney Crosby

Evgeni Malkin

Conor Sheary

Phil Kessel

Carl Hagelin

Defense

Kris Letang

Olli Maatta

Trevor Daley

Goalie

Matt Murray

Murray and Fleury will probably split time next season. Whoever does better in the split time the Penguins should protect. Fleury has a No-Movement clause, which means the Pens will be forced to protect him if he does not waive his No-Movement Clause. I think Fleury will, because he will want to start, and that will not happen if both Murray and Fleury are both on the Penguins.

Welcome!

Problem is nobody knows what the rules will be for how many in any position.  Everything right now is speculation and we have a season to go yet.  But if we're going to jump into it this far out, I'd say Hornqvist gets protected before Sheary.  And Dumoulin before Daley.  Otherwise I agree with your figures.  

Welcome Murray, good to have another Pens fan around.

Crosby, Malkin and Kessel are easy, world class talents.    Sheary  and Hagelin not so much.  They played great this year, but that's about the extendtof their resume.  Sheary is a wait and see if you can do it again, and so far looks like a role player guy how I think can be replaced.  Hagelin has bounced a few teams, and melded well here, he would be a risk.   Also with Sheary, you have to wonder how it will flush out.  If Vegas wants to compete quickly, they may well choose a lot of experiencled players, so someone like Sheary would be overlooked.  Polaris, at the time of the draft, Hornqvist will be 30, I might risk him and instead protect someone like Sundqvist or Sprong  if they show promise.  I'd just leave those last two spots open for now.  

On defense, Letang is a no brainer.  Daley needs to put up another year to prove his worth, if he has another year like last, ye, if he reverts to the player Chicago didn't want, I'd expose him and protect youth.( Doumo or Pouliot) . Heck, with a full year in the system, maybe Shultz can make a move.  Me personally, I'm not so sold on Maatta any longer.  Injuries aside, he is not a very quick defender.    I had expected him to work on speed prior to last year, but people are still blowing by him.  He's great once set up, but I think that the model in the NHL is going to be a speed game for the next few years, and he's a liability.  We'll have to see.

I still expect the Pens to try to move Fleury, it would be cool to see the teams he names as possible teams to go to right away.   I'd love to see them move him early rather than later in the season.

On 8/24/2016 at 2:13 PM, MurrayHBK said:

WHO THE PENS SHOULD PROTECT FOR THE EXPANSION DRAFT

First of all, you can either protect 7 skaters and 1 goalie or 5 offense and 3 defense, 1 goalie.

I think the Pens should protect 5 offense, 3 defense, 1 goalie.

Offense

Sidney Crosby

Evgeni Malkin

Conor Sheary

Phil Kessel

Carl Hagelin

Defense

Kris Letang

Olli Maatta

Trevor Daley

Goalie

Matt Murray

Murray and Fleury will probably split time next season. Whoever does better in the split time the Penguins should protect. Fleury has a No-Movement clause, which means the Pens will be forced to protect him if he does not waive his No-Movement Clause. I think Fleury will, because he will want to start, and that will not happen if both Murray and Fleury are both on the Penguins.

Welcome to hockey forum I agree with the goalie statement!

On 8/25/2016 at 6:52 AM, nossagog said:

Welcome Murray, good to have another Pens fan around.

Crosby, Malkin and Kessel are easy, world class talents.    Sheary  and Hagelin not so much.  They played great this year, but that's about the extendtof their resume.  Sheary is a wait and see if you can do it again, and so far looks like a role player guy how I think can be replaced.  Hagelin has bounced a few teams, and melded well here, he would be a risk.   Also with Sheary, you have to wonder how it will flush out.  If Vegas wants to compete quickly, they may well choose a lot of experiencled players, so someone like Sheary would be overlooked.  Polaris, at the time of the draft, Hornqvist will be 30, I might risk him and instead protect someone like Sundqvist or Sprong  if they show promise.  I'd just leave those last two spots open for now.  

On defense, Letang is a no brainer.  Daley needs to put up another year to prove his worth, if he has another year like last, ye, if he reverts to the player Chicago didn't want, I'd expose him and protect youth.( Doumo or Pouliot) . Heck, with a full year in the system, maybe Shultz can make a move.  Me personally, I'm not so sold on Maatta any longer.  Injuries aside, he is not a very quick defender.    I had expected him to work on speed prior to last year, but people are still blowing by him.  He's great once set up, but I think that the model in the NHL is going to be a speed game for the next few years, and he's a liability.  We'll have to see.

I still expect the Pens to try to move Fleury, it would be cool to see the teams he names as possible teams to go to right away.   I'd love to see them move him early rather than later in the season.

If they move Fleury, which I like  to see go. ( who didn't know that) would like to see a few draft picks/ prospect for him!

38 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

If they move Fleury, which I like  to see go. ( who didn't know that) would like to see a few draft picks/ prospect for him!

That may rely on the right situation at the right time.

Everybody knows the Pens would like tI move Fleury and that tends to drive value down.

If that doesn't happen IMO they expose him and Vegas likely bites on the "Cup winning goalie"

The benefit is that could protect other players for the Pens.

56 minutes ago, radoran said:

That may rely on the right situation at the right time.

Everybody knows the Pens would like tI move Fleury and that tends to drive value down.

If that doesn't happen IMO they expose him and Vegas likely bites on the "Cup winning goalie"

The benefit is that could protect other players for the Pens.

Problem is they can't expose him.  NMC. 

4 hours ago, radoran said:

I was building on the concept expressed earlier in thread that he would waive if not the starter.

I wonder if he would though.  He's said he wants to stay here and if he is protected odds are Murray would not be so...  

I just dont don't think the Pens are in a great position with him right now.  

3 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

I wonder if he would though.  He's said he wants to stay here and if he is protected odds are Murray would not be so...  

I just dont don't think the Pens are in a great position with him right now.  

They're really not. They gave him all the cards and are in the position of asking him to give them back.

And they're going to have to expose one "Cup winning goalie" - I would presume most Pens fans would prefer they kept the younger one (if they have to give one up).

Archived