The Hockey News: Yearbook

WordsOfWisdom

For the 2016-17 season, some notable things from the THN Yearbook:

• They've picked the Lightning to win the Stanley Cup... and THN is always wrong. Sorry @TropicalFruitGirl26 .   :(
  • I noticed that they picked the Leafs to finish 8th, and I was like: "Wait, what???? They're not making the playoffs!!!" Then I realized it was 8th in the Atlantic division. (Much more reasonable, although I say they pass Ottawa and Detroit this year to finish 6th in the Atlantic division. Yep, that's right. I think the Sens and Wings will bottom out.)  @BluPuk
  • How many Canadian teams make the playoffs this season? Vancouver? (Nope.) Calgary? (Nope.) Toronto? (Nope.) Ottawa? (Nope.) Winnipeg? (Nope.) I'll go out on a limb and say two teams: Montreal and (gasp) Edmonton. 
  • Still can't buy the damn thing at Wal-Mart. (Probably because it's not printed in China.) :)

16 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

For the 2016-17 season, some notable things from the THN Yearbook:

• They've picked the Lightning to win the Stanley Cup... and THN is always wrong. Sorry @TropicalFruitGirl26 . 
  •  

Well, @WordsOfWisdom , like the ol saying goes, even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

And this might be the year that the THN Yearbook finds a nice ripe pecan!  ;)

18 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, @WordsOfWisdom , like the ol saying goes, even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

And this might be the year that the THN Yearbook finds a nice ripe pecan!  ;)

I'm not sure that a blind squirrel finds a tree, let alone a nut, but it's a popular saying so I'll roll with it...   :angel:

If I recall correctly, the Lightning won a Stanley Cup in 2004. I remember that like it was yesterday. That was the last time the Leafs iced a competitive hockey team that could make the playoffs over an 82 game schedule. :)

21 hours ago, sarsippius said:

My biggest problem with THN Yearbook....just because I'm in Jersey I get the New York Rangers cover? Hellooooo, South Jerseyan in Flyers country here, google maps can help you !

I've always found the multiple covers gimmick to be shameless pandering. :)

I guess they consider New Jersey to be part of New York region? :(

Fact: THN produced eight covers this year, for the following regions:

1. Vancouver (Sedin)
  2. Alberta (Gaudreau, McDavid)
  3. Ontario (Matthews)
  4. Quebec (Price)
  5. Pennsylvania (Crosby, Giroux)
  6. Western New York / Mass (Eichel, Marchand)
  7. New York (Lundqvist, Tavares)
  8. Illinois / Michigan (Kane, Larkin)

For all you fans in California, Arizona, Florida, ... well I'm guessing THN isn't even sold in stores down there because the markets are too small. If nothing else, THN's distribution of covers quite accurately represents where the core fanbase is in the NHL, because the distribution of teams certainly doesn't.  

Archived