Kris Versteeg-six teams in one year

yave1964

A year in the life.....

I have always been able to identify more with the Kris Versteeg's of the world more than the Patrick Kane types. A solid guy who is a good fit wherever he goes, someone is always happy to have him around and then he moves on to another team, another city to unpack and start again. This past year has been more than a bit dizzying however, even by the nomadic life that Versteeg has led so far.

In 2015 in his second run with the th?&id=OIP.Mfda352a7e2252a6b95db0349dd74Hawks Versteeg helped them capture the cup and stated "I couldn't be happier anywhere else" and hoped the rumors of being dealt to alleviate the cap squeeze were just that.

Nope. He was dealt last year in September along with Joakim Nordstrom to the th?&id=OIP.Meb4be23e4f3f18ba292b10a23d7eHurricanes for a couple of non prospects and a late pick to keep the Hawks under the cap.

"I am sad to leave Chicago but at least this shows that someone wants me." Versteeg said philosophically after the deal to Carolina, He started off well in Carolina providing a veteran presence to a young group of forwards before cooling a bit, with the Canes slipping out of playoff contention he was dealt on February 28th to the Kingsth?&id=OIP.M99ff9ce6fb0f84c42bd1bd023ea3 for prospect Valentin Zykov and a pick.

" I have got to learn new things and try to be productive and helpful pretty fast, so they were letting me know what I needed to do." He talked further about how he hoped to help the Kings reach the ultimate prize.

It did not work out, he scored 4 goals in 14 games, saw the Kings bow out in the first round and was an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Canada Day came and went, no contract, no hint of one, finally he negotiated a deal to go to the Swiss league for the 2016-17 season: aa0cbb744934f73cb955ea7ad4ed2387_normal. Darren Dreger

@DarrenDreger

Looks like Kris Versteeg's playing career is taking a different path. He's expected to sign with Bern in Swiss League this wknd.

with an out clause in the event that an NHL team came looking for him high up in theImage result for versteeg bern Alps.

Then in September he failed his physical, the term in Bern was unable to get the proper insurance on him because of complications from hip surgery four years ago and without ever playing a minute for them he was cut loose.

The Oilers 99UVc%2B1K5Xw5XaEYlikw&w=300&h=179&c=0&pinvited him to camp on a PTO and quite frankly he played like the solid middle six vet that he is, looking good in the preseason he seemed thrilled to be coming to Edmonton." I feel if you look at their top guys you could pick your poison with which centreman you get to play with. (Leon) Draisaitil, (Ryan) Nugent-Hopkins or (Connor) McDavid are a very special group of forwards down the middle. It makes wingers excited because everything really goes through there." He even talked about the Oilers socks he wore as a baby and a kid. It seemed to be a perfect match.

THEN just when it seemed a sure thing, he signed a deal with the Flames instead. "I told my agent that with twoth?&id=OIP.M9c2a78b195b932b2db8e03cbe595 small children now that I want to be close to home." is Versteegs latest 'happy to be here' quote making the rounds.

So there it is. Since last September (thirteen months) Versteeg has been a Hawk, a Hurricane, a King, signed in Switzerland, been released, went to camp with the Oilers and is now a Flame. Six teams in just a little over one year.

Wondering where he will land at the deadline this year......

• 2 weeks later...

Archived