Auston Matthews retires

JR Ewing

Auston Matthews retires as greatest Leaf in franchise history

Mattheson-Leafs.jpg

OTTAWA – Immediately after the game in which he became the first player in NHL history to score 4 goals in an NHL debut, Auston Matthews announced his retirement. Experts and pundits unanimously agree that he will go down as the greatest player in the Toronto Maple Leafs 100 year history.

“I’ve had a pretty good run,” said Matthews in his postgame press conference, “and I’ve accomplished all I set out to accomplish in my career. There’s really nothing left for me to do.” When asked why he is choosing not to pursue a Stanley Cup, let alone a regular season win, Matthews replied, “I don’t think I need to anymore. This was so much sweeter. Nothing can top this.”

Matthews, who dazzled in the first and last game of his NHL career, retires as the franchise leader in points and goals scored on October 12th, 2016 in a game against the Ottawa Senators. Throughout his career, Matthews averaged 4 goals a game, more than Gretzky, Lemieux, and Ovechkin combined.

At press time, the Leafs announced Matthews’ jersey retiring ceremony, as well as the unveiling of his statue on the prestigious “Legends Row”, will take place this Saturday, when the Leafs face the Bruins on Hockey Night in Canada.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2016/10/auston-matthews-retires-greatest-leaf-franchise-history/

The Beaverton never fails to make me laugh.

Just now, JR Ewing said:

“I’ve had a pretty good run,” said Matthews in his postgame press conference, “and I’ve accomplished all I set out to accomplish in my career. There’s really nothing left for me to do.” When asked why he is choosing not to pursue a Stanley Cup, let alone a regular season win, Matthews replied, “I don’t think I need to anymore. This was so much sweeter. Nothing can top this.”

When asked why he is not choosing to pursue a Stanley Cup, he said, "Get real. I play for Toronto."

Archived