Strange Defense Pairings...

fishbulb

Yeah, I'm a bit hazy on that too. Somehow, it does appear Stolarz is in play.

From what I can gather, the required 40 games in the NHL is mostly a factor in the exposure part of the rules. It doesn't mean players who don't have 40 games can't also be drafted.

As for Stolarz, I suppose he counts because he is a pro not in his first or second year. He's in the minors, but he's still a pro and has been for longer than the two years required. I imagine this means others could be available too.

35 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Stolarz is in the minors.  He does not have 40 games of NHL experience period let alone this year. 

So where does he even fit in?  This is the question.  Some people here think he's eligible, but I haven't seen anything that says anything about his situation yet.  What am I missing?  

It's his 3rd year of AHL play. As well as Hagg's.

Something to do with years of service.

I am work at can't look it up i will try later if someone could for me it would be cool.

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's his 3rd year of AHL play. As well as Hagg's.

Something to do with years of service.

I am work at can't look it up i will try later if someone could for me it would be cool.

This is from the web site.

From the best I can tell (and I'll try to read it in more detail on my way home) I haven't seen any specific policy regarding minor league players.  What I will say  is that regarding goalies it does not detail a minimum number of NHL games as it does forwards and D men.  

It almost reads as a loophole specific to Goalies in Stolarz's situation.  

||

\/ 

With the NHL awarding a franchise to Las Vegas at the Board of Governors Meeting on Wednesday, an expansion draft will take place after next season. 

Las Vegas will be the eighth team in the Pacific Division and the 15th team in the Western Conference. The NHL has 16 teams in the Eastern Conference.

The following rules were approved for the 2017 Expansion Draft: 

Protected Lists
* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft: 

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Player Exposure Requirements
* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

Regulations Relating to Expansion Franchise
* The Las Vegas franchise must select one player from each presently existing club for a total of 30 players (not including additional players who may be acquired as the result of violations of the Expansion Draft rules).

* The Las Vegas franchise must select the following number of players at each position: 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2017-18 season.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select players with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100% of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap.

* The Las Vegas franchise may not buy out any of the players selected in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

The 30 NHL Clubs must submit their Protection List by 5:00 P.M. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017. The Las Vegas team must submit their Expansion Draft Selections by 5:00 P.M. ET on June 20 and the announcement of their selections will be released on made on June 21. 

I don't think it's a goalie-specific loophole. I think it's simply that AHL players are still pros. As such, they qualify just the same as someone who would have played in the NHL for 3+ seasons. Stolarz has been a pro for three years now, which means he would qualify to be drafted.

That said, I highly doubt he would be their player of choice from the team. They'll have other more established goalies available to them from other teams. Moreover, all Hex really has to do is sign any other goalie who fits the bill to a short-term deal, and he could protect Stolarz. I honestly wouldn't worry about it though. The same could be said for Hagg. Though he may technically be available, I doubt Vegas would choose him over other options. 

A potential exception to this thinking who might be made available is Laughton. It would depend on his playing time this year though.

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

Stolarz is in the minors.  He does not have 40 games of NHL experience period let alone this year. 

So where does he even fit in?  This is the question.  Some people here think he's eligible, but I haven't seen anything that says anything about his situation yet.  What am I missing?  

They're two different things.

A player in the third year of their pro contract (as Stolarz is) is eligible for selection in the expansion draft. Minors don't matter, it's pro (NHL or AHL) experience.

On top of that, teams must expose one defenseman and two forwards with 40 NHL games this season, OR 70 over the past two seasons. As well, they must expose one goalie who is either under contract, or is an RFA who has received a qualifying offer.

So, for example, MacDonald is automatically eligible for selection in the draft, even if he is demoted and plays in the AHL all season again. However, in order to be the guy to satisfy the 40/70 rule, he has to play in 40 games this season on the Flyers (since he played in fewer than 31 games last season, the 70 is irrelevant).

24 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

They're two different things.

A player in the third year of their pro contract (as Stolarz is) is eligible for selection in the expansion draft. Minors don't matter, it's pro (NHL or AHL) experience.

On top of that, teams must expose one defenseman and two forwards with 40 NHL games this season, OR 70 over the past two seasons. As well, they must expose one goalie who is either under contract, or is an RFA who has received a qualifying offer.

So, for example, MacDonald is automatically eligible for selection in the draft, even if he is demoted and plays in the AHL all season again. However, in order to be the guy to satisfy the 40/70 rule, he has to play in 40 games this season on the Flyers (since he played in fewer than 31 games last season, the 70 is irrelevant).

It it seems specifically designed to expose players like Stolarz. Goalies being groomed in the minors. 

Main a way the Flyers are in a lucky position of not needing to make a choice between protecting a franchise goalie in his prime and a prospect in training. 

However they hey do seem to be in the unenviable position of needing to sign a goalie simply to leave him exposed to the draft as is required which will probably result in that goalie not being drafted in the end anyway. 

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

I don't think it's a goalie-specific loophole. I think it's simply that AHL players are still pros. As such, they qualify just the same as someone who would have played in the NHL for 3+ seasons. Stolarz has been a pro for three years now, which means he would qualify to be drafted.

That said, I highly doubt he would be their player of choice from the team. They'll have other more established goalies available to them from other teams. Moreover, all Hex really has to do is sign any other goalie who fits the bill to a short-term deal, and he could protect Stolarz. I honestly wouldn't worry about it though. The same could be said for Hagg. Though he may technically be available, I doubt Vegas would choose him over other options. 

A potential exception to this thinking who might be made available is Laughton. It would depend on his playing time this year though.

I think it ends up being goalie specific by default because most 3 year vet skaters in the AHL without 70 games in the NHL are not going to be very appealing.

it doesnt seem like the draft will amount in Vegas taking many skating "prospects" from the AHL... But they could end up with a goalie prospect or two. 

18 minutes ago, King Knut said:

It it seems specifically designed to expose players like Stolarz. Goalies being groomed in the minors. 

It is specifically intended to prevent teams from protecting players by just keeping them in the minors.

Fair points about AHL goalies. Still, I'm thinking there are a number of goalies who would be picked up before Stolarz is considered. My guess is they would err on the side of at least 1-2 more proven goalies. They might pick up a third who is less proven, but even there, there would be better options than Stolarz.

The Avs will have to choose between Varlamov and Pickard. I wouldn't be shocked to see them hold on to Pickard, which would make Varlamov very attractive. The Wings have a similar situation going with Howard and Mrazek. Reimer is likely to be available out of Florida. Raanta is likely to be available from NYR. Hutchinson is likely to be available in WPG. And for a more prospect-esque option, the Bruins will probably protect Rask, which would leave Subban exposed.

The other obvious big one is Murray. At the moment, Fleury would need to be protected due to his NMC. If they can't trade Fleury this year (I imagine they will), then last year's cup winning Murray would almost certainly be picked up.

They're only choosing three goalies. I just can't see Stolarz being considered. As much as I would love him to be so, he doesn't exactly scream the second coming of Price. I doubt Vegas will bother gambling on a prospect who 'could be good maybe some day or maybe not really ever' over the more established names mentioned above.

15 hours ago, AJgoal said:

It is specifically intended to prevent teams from protecting players by just keeping them in the minors.

You really think a GM out there has been keeping a goalie in the minors for three years anticipating this Vegas expansion draft?

Good for him if he has.  

• 3 weeks later...

Archived