Town Hall

vis

13 hours ago, vis said:

He's had Voracek on his wing.  Simmonds as well.  Still, his 5v5 production is atrocious for a 1C with his contract.  Not good value.  There's no excuse for his 5v5 play, terrible linemates or not.

These are the 10 players in the NHL with higher cap hits than Giroux's.

1. Patrick Kane - $10,500,000

2. Jonathan Toews - $10,500,000 

3. Anze Kopitar - $10,000,000 

4. Alex Ovechkin - $9,538,462 

5. Evgeni Malkin - $9,500,000 

6. P.K. Subban - $9,000,000 

7. Sidney Crosby - $8,700,000 

8. Corey Perry - $8,625,000 

9. Steven Stamkos - $8,500,000

10. Henrik Lundqvist - $8,500,000

Giroux is not on the level of any of those players.  Not even close.  You're simply not getting value out of his contract.

Also, to be clear, my desire to trade Giroux is primarily based on the fact that he'll be long past his prime by the time this team is ready to compete.  He's an "old" 29.  I rather try to trade him now, while he has some value, in the hopes of getting some assets back that can be used to build.  

I can definitely see that. I do think you're right in that he'll be past his prime by the time PHI can compete. I also agree that he's being paid too much compared so some (not all) of those other guys. 

That said, Giroux received a salary that seems to be around the standard for top players on a team. If PHI had had Kane of Ovechkin around when G was signed, he likely wouldn't have commanded as much. He was and still is the best player on the roster, and so he was paid accordingly. 

Also, as Brelic noted above, if PHI had not made such an offer, there's always a chance he would have gone elsewhere. Of course, we'll never know, but i think it's safe to assume other teams would absolutely have made that offer for a guy like Giroux. 

To go back to the list you posted earlier, i fully expect many of those players to be considered overpaid in the next few years. In fact, i would say some of them already are. 10mil for Kopitar seems like lunacy to me. 9mil for Subban is already a boat anchor for Nashville. I'll go on a limb and add Perry and Stamkos on that list as qell. 

In all these cases, they received those contracts in large part because of their status on the team. It really appears as though the best player on your roster always gets a premium. 

Given all that, i do agree with you about Giroux. I would also be looking at what other teams are offering for him. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, brelic said:

This is from the Fourth Period -

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi170218.html

A nice summary of what we've been discussing ad nauseum for the past months.... 

I read that yesterday and was going to post it but work got in the way.   There is a lot to take in and I believe you are right...  We have been covering this for months.  Lol.

I know it's likely Giroux is on the downswing of his career but I could see him having a career year at 31 or 32, even 34. He certainly looks like an old 29 right now but I get the feeling he's been hurt or something else is bothering him this year. Yes I realize his point totals have fallen steadily over the past few years but I don't believe he's anywhere near "done."

2 minutes ago, canoli said:

I know it's likely Giroux is on the downswing of his career but I could see him having a career year at 31 or 32, even 34. He certainly looks like an old 29 right now but I get the feeling he's been hurt or something else is bothering him this year. Yes I realize his point totals have fallen steadily over the past few years but I don't believe he's anywhere near "done."

When you watch G there is something off...   I do think he is hurt which is frustrating but I suppose it is an injury that can't get any worse...

Yeah exactly, "something off." He's got very little jump or edge to his game these days and that's just not like him. He doesn't seem to turn well in traffic, his skating is nowhere near as fluid as it used to be. I don't know that's not it either...but something is off like u said, something that isn't getting better.

Archived